The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I heard an update a couple days ago, but don't recall many details. Harper is the hired general contractor. We will likely hear more about this project sometime this month.

Thanks for the update. This project will breath a good deal of nightime activity to the general Court Square area. :good:

A good article about the Greenville downtown restaurant scene and how it has continued to thrive even in the current economy. 10 new restaurants have opened so far this year, with 4 plus additional to open.

As a person who takes people to dinner several nights a week on an expense account, I find this quote from the article very true.....I've always said this when people questioned why Greenville has such a good foodie scene:

While restaurants along the coast cater to tourists and those in Columbia are styled for lobbyists and customers who do business with the state, many of the visitors to Greenville

-A red board of zoning appeals sign is up on the first floor of the four story yellow building on Main Street between the former Halfway to Habana building and Creative Health.

Some sort of small office tenant (can't remember who) will be locating here according to a sign on the window.

-A spa will be opening in the Essentials building next to Handi.

-A store that sells jewelry and vintage guitars will be opening in the same building as Qwikees (or however you spell it) on the corner of Main/McBee.

-The retail stores that were open tonight were PACKED. This was especially true of the new gem/mineral store and the Barkery Bistro.

-A spa will be opening in the Essentials building next to Handi.

-A store that sells jewelry and vintage guitars will be opening in the same building as Qwikees (or however you spell it) on the corner of Main/McBee.

-The retail stores that were open tonight were PACKED. This was especially true of the new gem/mineral store and the Barkery Bistro.

I'm glad they're open at night for Fall for Greenville. It seems like a great time to get some good exposure and sales!

Also, the vintage guitar store sounds kind of neat. I hope they're a good offering for downtown.

Edited by GvilleSC

From the Greenville Journal:

Look for a new restaurant at 18 South Main Street called Rick's and Rob's. This restaurant will feature meals named after Greenville landmarks and leaders (such as Poinsett, Reedy, Hyatt, and Knox) and a lot of vegetarian dishes.

Interesting about the menu items named after Greenville landmarks and leaders. This would have been a perfect concept for The Green Room (another new downtown restaurant)! :lol:

This would have been a perfect concept for The Green Room (another new downtown restaurant)! :lol:

You'll like The Green Room! While their official sign is not up, they are open. They were open yesterday during Fall for Greenville and we ducked in for a drink. Fantastic, beautiful bar area! (Of course it didn't take much, as the space was beautiful to start with).

As mentioned above, the new mineral and gem shop was packed....and not just with people browsing, but with people buying. About 50% of their merhandise is stone, mineral, gem jewelry, and the rest is loose stones, decorative items for home, office, etc. I chatted with them briefly and they are still getting fully stocked, as they had a back 1/4 of the store still under construction. This places feels like an Asheville type place.....IMO it will do well, especially with tourist.

Interesting about the menu items named after Greenville landmarks and leaders. This would have been a perfect concept for The Green Room (another new downtown restaurant)! :lol:

My wife (who works downtown) got a menu from The Green Room as they were handing them out. She tells me that most items on the menu are $10 and up (or a sandwich for about $8 with no sides). Somehow or other based on the other competition in that space, I can't imagine that they will do well.

Edited by gregtrob

Glad to see empty storefronts filling up. I haven't seen some of the places that are being mentioned, but I had to comment on the photos above. I really wish more businesses understood how important a good logo and sign is! My perception of both of these places is pretty low considering what they've hung in their windows. Same goes for Qwikee's and a lot of the other small startups downtown.

Glad to see empty storefronts filling up. I haven't seen some of the places that are being mentioned, but I had to comment on the photos above. I really wish more businesses understood how important a good logo and sign is! My perception of both of these places is pretty low considering what they've hung in their windows. Same goes for Qwikee's and a lot of the other small startups downtown.

I'm glad to hear that. I agree with you. The Greek restaurant gets a pass, the opening soon sign is pretty generic. But the spa? What is with that logo? When I snapped the photo, I honestly thought it looked more appropriate for a Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage package. They are going into a beautiful space, so keeping my fingers crossed......

As for Qwikees.....that place shouldn't even be on Main.....although, I did notice, the bright blue front has been painted a darker shade of blue and looks much better. Still a low rent place IMO.

As for Qwikees.....that place shouldn't even be on Main.....although, I did notice, the bright blue front has been painted a darker shade of blue and looks much better. Still a low rent place IMO.

Is it being run any better? The first time I walked by it and considered going in, the door was open and no one was inside. The workers were on the sidewalk out front smoking.

Is it being run any better? The first time I walked by it and considered going in, the door was open and no one was inside. The workers were on the sidewalk out front smoking.

Still the same. AND, the employees look like they need to go home and take a shower before rolling into work from their night out. Really trashy place....failure isn't too many months away.

Still the same. AND, the employees look like they need to go home and take a shower before rolling into work from their night out. Really trashy place....failure isn't too many months away.

I have no great love for Quikees, but I do think it is important for an urban downtown area to have places where you can buy a newspaper, candy bar, or pack of cigarettes. Cities need more than just restaurants. Main Street is great, but it runs the risk of being just a destination for people who want to eat dinner and not a Main Street that is the center of city life, in the old fashioned sense of the term. The corner newsstand or bodega is just as much a vital part of a neighborhood as the day spa and gourmet eateries.

I have no great love for Quikees, but I do think it is important for an urban downtown area to have places where you can buy a newspaper, candy bar, or pack of cigarettes. Cities need more than just restaurants. Main Street is great, but it runs the risk of being just a destination for people who want to eat dinner and not a Main Street that is the center of city life, in the old fashioned sense of the term. The corner newsstand or bodega is just as much a vital part of a neighborhood as the day spa and gourmet eateries.

I totally agree with you there. I'd love to see a nice newstand / convenience store. Thing is that Qwikees is not it. I'm not agianst this type of store, I simply am opposed to this specific store. It's a bit of dump, with a staff.....well, I"ll just stop there. I've written enough.

But yes, I'd LOVE to see a great newstand / store....much like the one that was up North Main by Subway....Ragans Market? :thumbsup:

Other things I'd love to see return to Main are a great barber shop, a shoe repair place, a little intown hardware store, etc, etc.

I totally agree with you there. I'd love to see a nice newstand / convenience store. Thing is that Qwikees is not it. I'm not agianst this type of store, I simply am opposed to this specific store. It's a bit of dump, with a staff.....well, I"ll just stop there. I've written enough.

But yes, I'd LOVE to see a great newstand / store....much like the one that was up North Main by Subway....Ragans Market? :thumbsup:

Other things I'd love to see return to Main are a great barber shop, a shoe repair place, a little intown hardware store, etc, etc.

Ditto! Well said, and great ideas Gsupstate!

I absolutely agree with gsupstate. My problem with Qwikee's is that they don't care: about their sign, about their name, about what they carry in the store, or how their service comes across. I think the fact that they're still in business only proves there's definitely a need for a store like this.

My problem with Qwikee's is that they don't care:

You hit the nail on the head. I don't think any of us want a business like them on Main, to help tourist and business travelers form their opinion on Greenville.

My one time in Qwikees, I asked if they had a certain magazine, the guy somewhat grunted no. He then got pre-occupied with another worker who was running through the store on her cell phone, talking trash and headed out front to "hang out". The guy behind the counter almost knocked me down on his way out to "hang" with the co-worker and talk trash.

How refreshing it would be to see a newstand type store where I asked do you have Metropolis mag. The clerk engages me, smiles and says no, but maybe we can order it. Or, have you checked at so and so bookstore? Simple, polite and some small amount of normal behavior.

I accurately predicted the demise of West End Chicken and Waffles after a tragic evening in that place. I'm calling it now and predicting the demise of Qwikees.