The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I'm sure that this has been mentioned before, but the building that houses Atlanta Bread Co. on North Main looks a million times better now that it's not pink and white. Its awkward balance of windows is much less noticeable and it's much more easy on the eyes now. :thumbsup:

I definitely agree. Next up, removing that ugly green tile stuff above Sharky's!! (I hope)

Edited by p2y2r7o

Sharky's and City Taven are two differnt buldings. Sharkey's has a glass facade and if you have ever seen through it when the light hits it right you know it needs to stay up and who is to say that City Tavern is not the same way, the ugly green could be up for a reason.

Sharky's and City Taven are two differnt buldings. Sharkey's has a glass facade and if you have ever seen through it when the light hits it right you know it needs to stay up and who is to say that City Tavern is not the same way, the ugly green could be up for a reason.

Well sorry, I obviously have my bars mixed up (think i have them straight now, sharky's has the black front...across from mast general?). Either way, that's beside my point. The green needs to go...even if there were a reason something had to go up why would someone have chosen that awful color? I think i've heard there's an old theater-style facade or something under it. I bet whatever is under there would be better.

I think any removal of those two buildings' facades would definitely require some extensive renovation work. City Tavern looks infinitely worse than Sharky's in their current state.

• 2 weeks later...

-Ground Industries which makes things like long and mountain boards is moving its headquarters into the small brown building on River Street behind the Army store.

-A new tenant although i'm not sure who looks like it's going in the old space at the FieldHouse at WestEnd building that was vacated by Port City Java. There is a permit sign up in the window and contractors were there earlier today doing interior upfit work.

-Carolina Triathlon which was located next to the new Halfway to Habana has moved to a new location across Main Street from the FieldHouse at WestEnd building.

-Edwin McCain might be putting a music studio in the building at 31 Augusta Street.

Edited by citylife

-Ground Industries which makes things like long and mountain boards is moving its headquarters into the small brown building on River Street behind the Army store.

-A new tenant although i'm not sure who looks like it's going in the old space at the FieldHouse at WestEnd building that was vacated by Port City Java. There is a permit sign up in the window and contractors were there earlier today doing interior upfit work.

-Carolina Triathlon which was located next to the new Halfway to Habana has moved to a new location across Main Street from the FieldHouse at WestEnd building.

-Edwin McCain might be putting a music studio in the building at 31 Augusta Street.

Looking forward to ground industries being downtown. Hopefully they can play a part in helping the city see how harmless longboarding is...and maybe I can (legally) longboard downtown again, because it's a great place to ride around.

Isn't 31 Augusta either the same building or right next to where Edwin's studio already is/was? (OMG Studios)

Looking forward to ground industries being downtown. Hopefully they can play a part in helping the city see how harmless longboarding is...and maybe I can (legally) longboard downtown again, because it's a great place to ride around.

Isn't 31 Augusta either the same building or right next to where Edwin's studio already is/was? (OMG Studios)

Not sure. If it is the same building then they must just be renovating it. Nothing wrong with that though. smile.gif

Edited by citylife

The DPC application looks like 31 Augusta Street will be renovated for a restaurant. The current facade is almost entirely brick with an opening for a door. This should be a great improvement over the current state of the building AND it will be nice to have another pedestrian friendly and entertainment-type establishment on Augusta.

DPC

The DPC application looks like 31 Augusta Street will be renovated for a restaurant. The current facade is almost entirely brick with an opening for a door. This should be a great improvement over the current state of the building AND it will be nice to have another pedestrian friendly and entertainment-type establishment on Augusta.

DPC

Per the sign on their door, I believe this will be the new location for Saffron's (located in the basement of the West End Market).

Per the sign on their door, I believe this will be the new location for Saffron's (located in the basement of the West End Market).

Thanks for sharing! I think that will be a better location for them, but I hate it that one of the more successful tenants on that level will be leaving. The West End Market's bottom floor can't seem to keep things for too long. Then again, some of the concepts that have been tried there haven't been the best...

Either way, it's great to see more renovations occurring in the West End, especially on Augusta Street. The gaps continue to be filled.

• 2 weeks later...

-New fitness center for same brown building on Main Street where parking authority is located between Markley and Pendleton Streets according to signage up on site. They were working on the space yesterday when I drove by.

-Not sure, but it looks like Linda McDougald Design/Postcard from Paris might be relocating inside the old Carolina Triathlon Space. DPC application is for new signage above the space.

Edited by citylife

-New fitness center for same brown building on Main Street where parking authority is located between Markley and Pendleton Streets.

-Not sure, but it looks like Linda McDougald Design might be locating inside the old Carolina Triathlon Space.

Nice! I live a block from there and I'm looking to leave Peak Fitness.

-Qwikees has closed...thank goodness.

-Exterior enovations have started on old Cantinflas space. Don't know what if anything is planned.

-Postcard from Paris will indeed by locating in the old Carolina Triathlon spot.

-Work should start soon on Carolina Ale House. People with site plans were looking at the site a few days ago.

-Qwikees has closed...thank goodness.

Glad this trashy place is no longer part of our downtown. Their idea for a place to buy convenience items downtown was a good one, but unfortunately they missed the memo that downtown is clean, classy, and progressive. Hopefully the new CVS at Main and McBee will address this need in a big way.