The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

What's wrong with that if people buy the stuff? I mean, I never would...but if somebody wants to drop $250 on a pillow case that's fine by me. Especially if I was the store owner! I've seen way more obnoxious things that cost way too much money.

How did we get into this current recession? By people buying things they couldn't afford in the first place. You don't need money. All you need is a credit card and a place to sign the dotted line. Now if people have money to buy this stuff then more power to them. I just find it kind of weird spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on bedding material.

Edited by citylife

Now if people have money to buy this stuff then more power to them. I just find it kind of weird spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on bedding material.

Spending money to have a really great night's rest is totally worth it. Seriously, one of the best investments you will make. Go ahead and spend extra money on a memory foam mattress pad, nice pillows, and high quality sheets. It will change your life - literally! :thumbsup:

Does anyone know exactly where the Life is Good store relocated to? I noticed the "we've moved" signs in the windows while driving by yesterday, but didn't have time to stop for more information.

The signs in the windows say they have relocated to Appalachian Outfitters on Orchard Park Drive. I think that there is an ownership connection between the two.

The signs in the windows say they have relocated to Appalachian Outfitters on Orchard Park Drive. I think that there is an ownership connection between the two.

The Life is Good Store downtown was owned by Appalachian Outfitters. The two stores merged and now Appalachian Outfitters will be moving from Orchard Park Drive to the small shopping center at the intersection of Halton Road and Mall Connector Road across from K&W Cafeteria in October.

Edited by citylife

The Life is Good Store downtown was owned by Appalachian Outfitters. The two stores merged and now Appalachian Outfitters will be moving from Orchard Park Drive to the small shopping center at the intersection of Halton Road and Mall Connector Road across from K&W Cafeteria in October.

That's good news. Appalachian Outfitters was very cramped.

• 2 weeks later...

Another storefront available just off Main Street. I noticed today that the gift shop on McBee next to Jimmy John's - I think it was called The Perfect Gift - is having a "Store Closing Sale." There also are "Available" signs in the window. Perhaps the store might have done better if the property across the street hadn't been sitting idle for several years. That kind of store needs more foot traffic to succeed, and at the moment there isn't much in the neighborhood to draw people from Main Street, the hungry lunchtime crowd notwithstanding. Of course, the allowed signage wasn't very compelling, either.

Bye bye Mojitos on Main Street. Let the party begin or end I should say. Seeing a pattern developing? Liquid Highway, The Perfect Gift, Mojitos, Life is Good, Iplace...who will be next to leave downtown or go out of business completely?

Edited by citylife

Bye bye Mojitos on Main Street. Let the party begin or end I should say. Seeing a pattern developing? Liquid Highway, The Perfect Gift, Mojitos, Life is Good, Iplace...who will be next to leave downtown or go out of business completely?

I'd say I see a pattern, if I were to ignore the new additions to the retail scene, too. It's not all doom and gloom, man.

I'd say I see a pattern, if I were to ignore the new additions to the retail scene, too. It's not all doom and gloom, man.

I know it's not all doom and gloom but one business or restaurant closing downtown is one too many in my opinion unless it's Qwikees of course than i'll be thrilled. ;)

Edited by citylife

LOL.

And welcome Carolina Ale House, Verizon Wireless, Wish, Postcards from Paris, etc. Real, true, breathing and living cities have openings AND closings. I would be mighty "skeered" if our downtown had the same stagnant stores and restaurants for years and years.....freshness breaths life.

LOL.

And welcome Carolina Ale House, Verizon Wireless, Wish, Postcards from Paris, etc. Real, true, breathing and living cities have openings AND closings. I would be mighty "skeered" if our downtown had the same stagnant stores and restaurants for years and years.....freshness breaths life.

You forgot about the new Soby's restaurant for Restaurant O's space. :ph34r::D

Certainly unfortunate for any business to close, but downtown should fill these spaces with higher-traffic locations. A luxury bedding store or gift store or the like doesn't draw much foot traffic. A store like a department store or normal clothing store or normal work-a-day store does, and that's what downtown needs- another high-traffic anchor.

Certainly unfortunate for any business to close, but downtown should fill these spaces with higher-traffic locations. A luxury bedding store or gift store or the like doesn't draw much foot traffic. A store like a department store or normal clothing store or normal work-a-day store does, and that's what downtown needs- another high-traffic anchor.

Enter Washington Square. :thumbsup:

The Perfect Gift also has a location on Augusta Road (near Foxfire), and they're consolidating all business to that location. Still a loss for downtown, but at least there's more to the story than just totally going out of business.

Glad to hear that it isn't as bad as it first appeared. That explains the particular wording on the window signs, but it seems odd that the Augusta Rd. location isn't mentioned on the business's web site. Only the McBee Ave. address is given.

Stopped in the new Verizon store on Main this weekend. SOOO glad to see this isn't a typical suburban Verizon store. The second level is such a great idea....a wifi bar, where you can lounge, get online, have coffee or soft drinks, etc. Very nice. All the activity with the multiple plasma screens in the windows is a nice touch as well. :thumbsup:

Stopped in the new Verizon store on Main this weekend. SOOO glad to see this isn't a typical suburban Verizon store. The second level is such a great idea....a wifi bar, where you can lounge, get online, have coffee or soft drinks, etc. Very nice. All the activity with the multiple plasma screens in the windows is a nice touch as well. :thumbsup:

That sounds awesome! :thumbsup: I didn't realize they had opened...

Would this be a good idea for DT Greenville?

Talk among yourselves.

Bill Simon, Wal-Mart’s U.S. president and CEO, explained in a statement that the company will move to a three-format portfolio. The large format is the Walmart supercenter, which carries both groceries and general products. The next size smaller — stores between 30,000 square feet and 60,000 square feet — will be based on a market’s specific needs, and the new under 30,000 square foot template will be aimed at small towns and urban markets, according to the statement.

Talk among yourselves.

IMO, this would be a horrible idea for Greenville downtown. For regular downtowns in several cities, I'd say OK, but for the quality that Greenville has developed downtown, Wal-Mart, no matter how small, would be a blemish. While I want to see national retailers downtown, I think there has to be a guiding hand and balance as to who these national retailers are.

Now were Target to develop the same small format, I would be OK with them downtown.....Target has taste and appeal.

Talk among yourselves.

And you thought downtown residents got upset over the Waffle House. :blink: Just imagine their reactions if a Walmart got proposed. :shok: Definitely NOT a good idea. A small urban Target wouldn't be bad though.

Edited by citylife