The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

CD's, moot point (since they are a thing of the past in the I-Pod age....). Seems most needs can be met downtown.

CD's aren't a thing of the past to everyone. Some of us still like to have the physical copy with liner notes, album artwork, etc. The only times I have bought music on iTunes or similar was when someone gave me a giftcard...so why not, I guess. Horizon Records, by the way, is where it's at when it comes to CD's downtown.

Moving on. I wouldn't want to see an urban wal-mart on Main Street, not even on the streets branching off of Main. I'd be fine with one a couple blocks away though...actually, I'd rather have that than the Rite-Aid / Sav-a-lot. That said, I'd still rather have a Target. I wish one could be squeezed in somewhere at/around McBee Station.

Well, the changes for the proposed CVS at Main and McBee are up online. The second story has been mostly removed, only leaving a second floor on Main Street, but it has added two small retail spaces on McBee next to the Bookends, and on Main next to Wachovia Place.

I like the idea of two small retail additions, but I'm not sure about only one story for this site.

Well, the changes for the proposed CVS at Main and McBee are up online. The second story has been mostly removed, only leaving a second floor on Main Street, but it has added two small retail spaces on McBee next to the Bookends, and on Main next to Wachovia Place.

I like the idea of two small retail additions, but I'm not sure about only one story for this site.

Yeah, it is unfortunate it got downsized but KDS has a deadline to meet for CVS and needed to get financing so they didn't really have a choice sadly.

:wacko: Iplace closes. Moves to Mills Avenue. Istore to open in same old Iplace location at Riverplace: http://www.istoregreenville.com/Site/Home.html Not sure if Istore is from the same people who owned Iplace and they are moving back to their old location with a new name or if this is a whole new company.

Regardless, it seems that the IStore people should learn from the failure of IPlace. Putting what is essentially the same store in the same location sounds like a horrible idea. How do they plan to do it better this time?!? :dontknow:

The Lollipop Shop has "store closing" sign posted in the window.

Meat Heads has closed as well.

Sucks to see the Lollipop Shop close. :( I'm suprised Meat Heads stayed open as long as they did. The place seemed to lack store front visibility. In other news, Edward Jones has opened between Postcard from Paris and the Cook's Station. Also, upfit continues for new restaurant in old Restaurant O space.

Edited by citylife

Meatheads was pretty full a lot of the time. It was one of the only places downtown to hear something other than cheesy cover bands. Are you sure Meatheads is closed? I checked for a property listing and I could not find anything.

Sucks to see the Lollipop Shop close. :( I'm suprised Meat Heads stayed open as long as they did. The place seemed to lack store front visibility. In other news, Edward Jones has opened between Postcard from Paris and the Cook's Station. Also, upfit continues for new restaurant in old Restaurant O space.

:shades: A new club/restaurant called Blues Boulevard Jazz which currently has a location in Spartanburg is proposed for the Terrace at Riverplace building: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2010/DECEMBER/BoardofZoningAppeals/12-16-2010/S-10-193-300RiverStreet.pdf

Official website of establishment: http://bluesboulevardjazz.com/

-Pedal Chic has will open next Thursday. Located at 651 South Main Street. Official website: http://www.pedalchic.com/

-Hoops and Hops opens tonight. 75 beers on tap. The owner of the establishment is Hugh St. Clair who also owns St. Clair Signs. I noticed they became a sponsor of the Road Warriors and have advertisements up at Haywood Mall as well. :thumbsup: I have a lot more respect for this restaurant/bar than I did before.

-Ult Divan to have official grand opening next Monday. Greenville was selected over Winston Salem, Raleigh, and Charleston for the store.

-Istore to open in Iplace's old location at Riverplace on December 8th.

Edited by citylife

Earlier in the thread, we were discussing urban Wal-Marts. Here's the rendering for one proposed for DC. It will be mixed-use, with 315 apartments above the retail. Parking is underground, and small-format retail lines H Street, which is an important retail street. The Wal-Mart has a big entrance at the corner, but is otherwise tucked behind into the interior of the building.

hst500.jpg

If one proposed for downtown Greenville even remotely resembles this, I don't see how anyone could be against it.