The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

If one proposed for downtown Greenville even remotely resembles this, I don't see how anyone could be against it.

I'd still be against it. Although this is a far better design than the usual Sprawl-Mart, and I like the idea of mixed-use development, I still find the company objectionable on social and political grounds. Given that deciding where to shop is the little bit of political power most of us will ever have in our consumer based society, I will continue to vote my values and will never shop at Wal Mart, no matter how much the Chinese economy and the Walton family suffers from my arrogance.

You can dress up a pig to make it look nice, but in the end it's still a pig. I'd personally never want to see a Walmart on Main Street in downtown Greenville. If one wants to come to this area, they can easily locate on Church Street behind Sirrine Stadium on that plot of land for sale instead. It wouldn't be located in the heart of downtown but would still be close enough to serve the needs of residents living there.

Edited by citylife

I'd still be against it. Although this is a far better design than the usual Sprawl-Mart, and I like the idea of mixed-use development, I still find the company objectionable on social and political grounds. Given that deciding where to shop is the little bit of political power most of us will ever have in our consumer based society, I will continue to vote my values and will never shop at Wal Mart, no matter how much the Chinese economy and the Walton family suffers from my arrogance.

Well I meant "against it" on architectural/aesthetic grounds. Of course if one doesn't like Wal-Mart as a company, then they'd be against a new Wal-Mart being built anywhere, whether it's downtown or the 'burbs.

You can dress up a pig to make it look nice, but in the end it's still a pig. I'd personally never want to see a Walmart on Main Street in downtown Greenville. If one wants to come to this area, they can easily locate on Church Street behind Sirrine Stadium on that plot of land for sale instead. It wouldn't be located in the heart of downtown but would still be close enough to serve the needs of residents living there.

I don't think anyone was necessarily advocating for it to go on Main Street, but this particular design is still very appropriate for an urban setting. The pig analogy doesn't work here. Good urban form is simply good urban form.

I prefer Target in general, but it has nothing to do with the "goodness" or "badness" of either company; I just like Target's products better. Either way, I'd be glad to have it. Downtown just needs more day-to-day retailers in it; the only ones I frequent are Staples, Publix, Mast and Rush Wilson. I don't go to "cutesy" gift shops.

• 2 weeks later...

The positive thing about the Walmart design above is that it is adaptive, and therefore sustainable. If people didn't support it, or the company simply wanted to relocate a few years down the road, another retailer could easily reuse the space. And with residential space included, it's even less likely that the whole building would go to disuse.

In other words, it would be a positive addition, even if it is a Walmart.

Edited by Cap'n Prowler

The new restaurant going into Restaurant O's old space will be revealed December 31st according to banners plastered on the windows and this:

The "New Restaurant" at 116 S. Main (Formerly Restaurant O)

Who knows what's been going on at the space that was Restaurant O? If you join us NYE - you'll be among the first to find out!

We won't be open for regular business until Mid-January, but this party is a sneak peak into the new restaurant - we'll have music from the Shawn James band and light hors d'oeuvres (Chef Rodney and Chef Joey may even sample some dishes from the new menu). You'll also enjoy a sparkling toast at Midnight followed by a breakfast buffet! Cash bar with drink specials. Plus you'll be the first to know the name of the restaurant - it's been under wraps, but we'll announce it during the party.

$25/person on or before December 30th

$35/person on December 31st.

For more information or to purchase tickets please call 864-232-7007.

You can also purchase tickets online at http://www.shoptable301.com/

Edited by citylife

The new restaurant going into Restaurant O's old space will be revealed December 31st according to banners plastered on the windows and this:

The "New Restaurant" at 116 S. Main (Formerly Restaurant O)

Who knows what's been going on at the space that was Restaurant O? If you join us NYE - you'll be among the first to find out!

We won't be open for regular business until Mid-January, but this party is a sneak peak into the new restaurant - we'll have music from the Shawn James band and light hors d'oeuvres (Chef Rodney and Chef Joey may even sample some dishes from the new menu). You'll also enjoy a sparkling toast at Midnight followed by a breakfast buffet! Cash bar with drink specials. Plus you'll be the first to know the name of the restaurant - it's been under wraps, but we'll announce it during the party.

$25/person on or before December 30th

$35/person on December 31st.

For more information or to purchase tickets please call 864-232-7007.

You can also purchase tickets online at http://www.shoptable301.com/

It is a wine bar, I know that much. Pretty simple to figure out, as the banners in the windows say "Who nose" instead of "Who knows". Wine has a nose. Peek in and you'll see some aged wine barrels. Looks like it will have a distinctive European flair.....which is to be expected from Soby and/or his associated group.

I agree that one of those Wal-Mart marketplaces would be better suited off of Main as well as make it easier to get in and out of.

Does anyone know what the future of the empty lot across the street from the Croc Center is? That is one large, prime piece of real estate. Four lane road to get in and out, lots of room and very visible. I'd love to see a tall building go here.

Edited by swu_BA_student

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet, sorry if I missed it somewhere. The Charleston Beer Exchange has opened a store downtown Greenville (The Greenville Beer Exchange). It's located behind Barley's on Laurens Street. Very cool little space, similar to Community Tap (lots of good beers and a few on tap, i assume they have growlers? not sure...). I walked in yesterday just to check it out with a friend who has been to the Charleston location and apparently it's almost identical to the other, with floor to ceiling shelves stocked full of beer in a small cozy store. Check it out!

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet, sorry if I missed it somewhere. The Charleston Beer Exchange has opened a store downtown Greenville (The Greenville Beer Exchange). It's located behind Barley's on Laurens Street. Very cool little space, similar to Community Tap (lots of good beers and a few on tap, i assume they have growlers? not sure...). I walked in yesterday just to check it out with a friend who has been to the Charleston location and apparently it's almost identical to the other, with floor to ceiling shelves stocked full of beer in a small cozy store. Check it out!

Is this in the renovated yellow brick building?

The City did a great job with the Laurens Street makeover.