The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet, sorry if I missed it somewhere. The Charleston Beer Exchange has opened a store downtown Greenville (The Greenville Beer Exchange). It's located behind Barley's on Laurens Street. Very cool little space, similar to Community Tap (lots of good beers and a few on tap, i assume they have growlers? not sure...). I walked in yesterday just to check it out with a friend who has been to the Charleston location and apparently it's almost identical to the other, with floor to ceiling shelves stocked full of beer in a small cozy store. Check it out!

Checked them out this past weekend. Cool addition to downtown and glad it is NOT on Main. As nice as it is, think I still like The Community Tap a bit better.

IMG_0176.jpg

Caught a workmans Chevy in the photo as The Trappe Door's construction was hot and heavy! :thumbsup: Can't wait for it to open. A nice cluster of places coming up on Laurens Street.

Can't wait for it to open. A nice cluster of places coming up on Laurens Street.

A BEAUTIFUL Laurens Street. The City did a great job with the changes! I'm anxiously awaiting the similar (and BETTER) upgrades for Brown Street!

It's nice to hear of several places taking up some spaces on the upper floors of Main Street. :thumbsup:

A BEAUTIFUL Laurens Street. The City did a great job with the changes! I'm anxiously awaiting the similar (and BETTER) upgrades for Brown Street!

Yes indeed. :thumbsup: Happy to see so many other streets in downtown with retail / restaurant openings and each taking on their own vibe (Laurens, Brown, Coffee, etc).

It's nice to hear of several places taking up some spaces on the upper floors of Main Street. :thumbsup:

In addition to upper floors, anyone noticed the resurgance in the underground / basement level scene.....

Along with the existing such as Coffee Underground, there is the new Trappe Door....another place proposed for the basement under Guadalajara.....and apparently someone is doing something different with Carpenter's Cellar (though I thought there was some sort of faith based ministry there). :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be the first business to leave downtown specifically as a result of the City's smoking ban? Halfway 2 Habana has announced they are closing their downtown location and plan to open a new store elsewhere. I'd love to see a hooka lounge and restaurant fill that space.

http://greenville.metromix.com/restaurants/blog_post/halfway-to-habana-closing/2444761/content

Could this be the first business to leave downtown specifically as a result of the City's smoking ban? Halfway 2 Habana has announced they are closing their downtown location and plan to open a new store elsewhere. I'd love to see a hooka lounge and restaurant fill that space.

http://greenville.me...2444761/content

I thought the city made an exception for establishments like this when the law was passed? :dontknow: Anyways, Fratelli's in Easley is looking at moving to downtown Greenville after McDonald's bought the site/building they're located in. The fast food chain will demolish the building and build a new restaurant there. Chief's will also be closing. Not sure where they'll be moving though.

Edited by citylife

http://greenville.me...2444761/content

This upsets me. sad.gif I love H2H and their new location...I've been in a few times and have really enjoyed it, and I know plenty of others who are gonna hate to hear about this. I probably won't get around to their new location too often unless it's still fairly close to downtown. The times I was there it was pretty slow though...not many other customers. I would however love to see a hookah lounge open there! That is a great idea, and probably the only thing that would make me happier than H2H staying! Aladdin's was okay for a while, and then it turned into a silly club before shutting down. Charlotte and Asheville both have downtown hookah lounges...heck, even Clemson does. It would be perfect for downtown.

Edited to say: I had no idea they had a location in Anderson...

Edited by p2y2r7o

I thought the city made an exception for establishments like this when the law was passed? :dontknow:

I think even with the exception smoking was still only allowed in their little smoking room. I know you definitely couldn't in the main dining area, but I'm not sure about the patio. If it wasn't allowed on the patio then that's pretty silly me thinks...it's separated enough from the sidewalk that I don't think it would bother anyone walking...then again there are some people who complain at just the faintest hint of smoke in the air.

I thought the city made an exception for establishments like this when the law was passed? :dontknow: Anyways, Fratelli's in Easley is looking at moving to downtown Greenville after McDonald's bought the site/building they're located in. The fast food chain will demolish the building and build a new restaurant there. Chief's will also be closing. Not sure where they'll be moving though.

Fratelli's is the best NY style pizza I have had here, better then Tito's, Anthonys and Pizza City if they where rolled up in a stromboli and smoked. OUTFRIGGINSTANDING! From what I here they do great Italian food as well although I have not tried it yet.

...Fratelli's in Easley is looking at moving to downtown Greenville after McDonald's bought the site/building they're located in. The fast food chain will demolish the building and build a new restaurant there. Chief's will also be closing. Not sure where they'll be moving though.

Disambiguation needed: which Chief's? Easley? Greenville? Oh... you must have meant the one in Anderson: http://www.independentmail.com/news/2011/feb/08/chiefs-closes-anderson-location/ Sure didn't get that from your post.

It could simply be their way of saying, "we made a mistake by relocating to the West End," because Outman's seems to be running a successful cigar business within the city limits.

Having been to both H2H and Outman's, I'd have to say I liked H2H better. It had a certain elegance to go along with good food and upscale drinks. It's a shame it failed to thrive. I wish Outman's continued success, and I hope H2H finds someplace else to land.

You mean the Chief's in Easley is going to close, too?

Not sure. McDonald's bought the shopping center Chiefs is located in currently so they are being kicked out. Just found out that Fratelli's has decided to move to the Ace Hardware shopping center in Easley on Highway 123 located next to Dunkin Donuts.

I'm intrigued. I'd love a cool downtown place that focuses on scotch, bourbon, and other whiskeys as opposed to beer. I think something like that would do really well, especially if the vibe is cool.

Well, it is going to be a distillery called Dark Corner Distillery so I don't think they can make Scotch, which I am sure is supposed to come from Scotland. Moonshine is the local spirit, isn't it?

Upscale moonshine, of course. The location is across the street from the Hyatt.