The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

This corner location has so much potential. I always envisioned something multi-story and mixed use going there, to complement what we already have at the Field House. What's proposed seems like a waste of very prime land. Sure, it's better than an abandoned building and parking lot that formerly housed a wrecker service, but it falls well short of what it could be.

I hope the DPC does the right thing and denies this mediocre proposal.

I completely agree with the bolded statement and last comment. It's great to see that they want to open, but their attempt is not respectful.

There's lots of stuff on next month's DPC agenda. Most of it is proposals for signs, and renovations. There are two things of interest to me, though:

-Mac's Speed Shop will open in the West End across from the Fieldhouse. I'm a little concerned about their design, but it does still have the DPC to go through. It doesn't seem to fit the urban fabric and arrangement of Greenville, much less Main Street. But we'll see... here's the app: Mac's Speed Shop

-Also, Kozani Restaurant & Bar wants to add a banner sign and a mural on the exterior of the building. The images attached to the application seem really strange to me. Check it out: Kozani

What do you guys think?

The Kozani mural is an awful idea IMO. It looks more like something you'd find in a small town, with a restaurant trying too hard. Old, worn murals on sides of buildings....great. Murals in large public spaces as art....great. A mural on the front of a restaurant, like shown in the Kozani file....gimmicky.

I'm OK with the Mac's set-up. A couple of things to remember, this will be a narrow, somewhat sliver type parking area. Also, if you've gone to Mac's in Charlotte, the parking area can have as much or more activity as the inside of the bar. People hanging out, viewing each others motorcycles....it is usually pretty active. I think this might actually add a great deal more to the street level activity / pedestrian attitude than we think, in this unique case.

For those keeping track, this is the second to last of the unrenovated buildings stretching all the way from the Hyatt to the ball park. The other is the building next to the Army Surplus Store. I'm really glad to see something going in that space. After these two building get filled; the empty lots will have to be used!

The art on the second floor exterior wall of Kozani's looks really dumb. Are they planning to pick an existing work, or have someone do something new? Regardless, I think it would look cheesy. Might as well just paint a graphic showing cheese dripping off of the roof onto the front of the building, because that's what a huge mural will be - dripping with cheese.

The art on the second floor exterior wall of Kozani's looks really dumb. Are they planning to pick an existing work, or have someone do something new? Regardless, I think it would look cheesy. Might as well just paint a graphic showing cheese dripping off of the roof onto the front of the building, because that's what a huge mural will be - dripping with cheese.

"Cheesy" - Classic. :good:

Odd choices of murals. Not at all related to anything Greenville, which is strange. It's like someone is screaming "Hey, Ya'll, lookie here! We got us some fancy art so that means we got us a whole mess O'CLASS!"

But then again, I could be mis-interpreting fine art yet again. sigh.

^ Spot on!

If it is supposed to be fine art, treat it as such and don't slap it on a restaurant facade. If it is supposed to be cheese, then make it cheese by painting a face of Lindsay Lohan on one of the bodies and stating Linday wuz here. Unfortnately this mural is neither....it takes an untenable position somewhere in the middle.

Some of those old unspoken rules to live by......never eat at a place that claims to have fine art on the walls......never eat at a place located above the 2nd floor of a building.....a true bar-b-q place will have smoke coming from the chimney 24 hrs a day......on and on.....foodie wisdom.

"Cheesy" - Classic. :good:

Odd choices of murals. Not at all related to anything Greenville, which is strange. It's like someone is screaming "Hey, Ya'll, lookie here! We got us some fancy art so that means we got us a whole mess O'CLASS!"

But then again, I could be mis-interpreting fine art yet again. sigh.

LOL! :rofl: I can just see someone saying this! "Fancy" with three syllables, of course! Fay-en-see! :P

^ Spot on!

If it is supposed to be fine art, treat it as such and don't slap it on a restaurant facade. If it is supposed to be cheese, then make it cheese by painting a face of Lindsay Lohan on one of the bodies and stating Lindsay wuz here. Unfortnately this mural is neither....it takes an untenable position somewhere in the middle.

LMAO! :rofl: Thanks for the laughs, guys!

This upsets me. sad.gif I love H2H and their new location...I've been in a few times and have really enjoyed it, and I know plenty of others who are gonna hate to hear about this. I probably won't get around to their new location too often unless it's still fairly close to downtown. The times I was there it was pretty slow though...not many other customers. I would however love to see a hookah lounge open there! That is a great idea, and probably the only thing that would make me happier than H2H staying! Aladdin's was okay for a while, and then it turned into a silly club before shutting down. Charlotte and Asheville both have downtown hookah lounges...heck, even Clemson does. It would be perfect for downtown.

Edited to say: I had no idea they had a location in Anderson...

Our wish may soon be granted! Apparently Outman will soon relocate to downtown and add a hookah lounge! :shades:

Noticed Blair Music has brown paper covering the storefront windows and door. Are they closed? With several other guitar stores operating nearby, it wouldn't be a surprise to see one or two of them close.

The Pita Pit is opening soon somewhere in downtown. Something is going into the vacant space near The Barefoot Company.

I've also noticed the "Available" sign is no longer posted at the recently renovated West End building modeled after a storefront in NYC. Outman perhaps?

Edited by Skyliner

Noticed Blair Music has brown paper covering the storefront windows and door. Are they closed?

I've also noticed the "Available" sign is no longer posted at the recently renovated West End building modeled after a storefront in NYC. Outman perhaps?

A local cigar business is planning to open its third store in Greenville on Monday. 'Outman on Main' will specialize in cigars and hookahs. Not sure if this will be the best location or have the service I was told, but it is another retailer on Main Street and it will fill a short-lived vacancy.

http://outmancigars.com/outmanonmainnew.html

That's a pretty cool idea, but I don't like the name. It seems too directed at dogs, and dogs only...especially considering the tasty looking human snacks they'll be serving! They have a chance to come up with a creative name, but instead take the name directly from the similar Charlotte store and stick "Downtown" in front of it...