The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

The Journal TBA column says that Barnes & Noble and Urban Outfitters are 'looking at' downtown.

Obviously, Washington Square seems the logically place for both, if they follow-thru.

Fingers crossed.

While I have enjoyed shopping at Barnes & Noble in Greenville during the last two decades, the frequency of my visits has declined significantly within the last few years, thanks to the ability to shop for reasonably priced new books online. I would be thrilled if someone in Greenville would open a store like The Midtown Scholar in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. This is the type of uniquely attractive and adaptive business we need in our downtown to compliment Mast General Store and Michelin on Main.

The Journal TBA column says that Barnes & Noble and Urban Outfitters are 'looking at' downtown.

Obviously, Washington Square seems the logically place for both, if they follow-thru.

Fingers crossed.

That's good news- I assume that a Barnes & Noble store downtown would be a relocation of the Haywood Road store?

Urban Outfitters makes sense- Knoxville and Asheville have locations in their downtowns.

(FYI Urban Outfitters' founder is a staunch Republican, which surprised me, given what the chain sells.)

I can't see Barnes & Noble opening a 3rd location in Greenville, and I can't see the Woodruff Rd. location closing.

Urban Outfitters makes sense- Knoxville and Asheville have locations in their downtowns.

(FYI Urban Outfitters' founder is a staunch Republican, which surprised me, given what the chain sells.)

I can't see Barnes & Noble opening a 3rd location in Greenville, and I can't see the Woodruff Rd. location closing.

Barnes & Noble would do well in the Cherrydale area too. There is room for more than two B & N stores in Greenville.

Barnes & Noble would do well in the Cherrydale area too. There is room for more than two B & N stores in Greenville.

I would hope so but with brick and mortar bookstores in meltdown mode (farewell to Borders, Joseph-Beth, etc., for the most part), I just can't see B&N opening a third location.

Whichever bookseller decides to open on Main Street should focus very intently on creating the perfect venue (creative/adaptive design, irresistible atmosphere with complimentary amenities, etc.) or they may likely struggle to maintain a healthy business in the long run.

Whichever bookseller decides to open on Main Street should focus very intently on creating the perfect venue (creative/adaptive design, irresistible atmosphere with complimentary amenities, etc.) or they may likely struggle to maintain a healthy business in the long run.

Exactly, Skyliner. And, I'm sure the corporate people involved know this as well. It shouldn't be like any other bookstore we currently have. It should have the atmosphere to draw people in an urban setting, but it should also be adjusted to appropriately focus on digital books and the future of the industry. A bookstore the size and style of our Books-A-Million on Laurens would fail.

From Gville News;

NAI Earle Furman represented the owner in selling a 6,300 square-foot retail building at 241 N. Main St. in downtown Greenville.

NAI Earle Furman represented the landlord in leasing a 2,030 square-foot retail space at 241-B N. Main Street in downtown Greenville

NAI Earle Furman represented ClearTalk Wireless in purchasing a 23,000 square-foot office/warehouse building on 1.43 acres of land located at 2 N. Hudson Street in Downtown Greenville, adjacent to the Downtown Post Office.

From Gville News;

NAI Earle Furman represented the owner in selling a 6,300 square-foot retail building at 241 N. Main St. in downtown Greenville.

NAI Earle Furman represented the landlord in leasing a 2,030 square-foot retail space at 241-B N. Main Street in downtown Greenville

NAI Earle Furman represented ClearTalk Wireless in purchasing a 23,000 square-foot office/warehouse building on 1.43 acres of land located at 2 N. Hudson Street in Downtown Greenville, adjacent to the Downtown Post Office.

All sounds pretty good.

I think the increase in apartments - hopefully some being affordable for the young professional crowd - will be huge in supporting the businesses that already exist as well as appealing to other businesses that are interested in downtown. Greenville being a 24/7 downtown is closer than some people think. :thumbsup:

I think the increase in apartments - hopefully some being affordable for the young professional crowd - will be huge in supporting the businesses that already exist as well as appealing to other businesses that are interested in downtown. Greenville being a 24/7 downtown is closer than some people think. :thumbsup:

This is very true. It seems so close that you can virtually smell it in the fresh downtown air and almost imagine tasting it. I'm anticipating the additional quality retailers that will undoubtedly be attracted by the Anthropologie announcement. More office space, more retail space, more hotel space, more convention space, and ultimately more residential space will drive the engine of progression toward that goal.

I'm now thinking that downtown retail will end up like Savannah- a few mall-type chains in it, with a mix of local stores.

Hopefully we can get another large retail anchor like Mast. Since Belk scrapped its remaining downtown locations a few years ago, and since Dillard's doesn't seem to do downtowns, I don't see a standard department store coming, but I still have my fingers crossed for a Target- even a Charlotte-style one (Midtown). There is so much vacant land around downtown that there's plenty of space for a "big box" development like that.

I'm now thinking that downtown retail will end up like Savannah- a few mall-type chains in it, with a mix of local stores.

Hopefully we can get another large retail anchor like Mast. Since Belk scrapped its remaining downtown locations a few years ago, and since Dillard's doesn't seem to do downtowns, I don't see a standard department store coming, but I still have my fingers crossed for a Target- even a Charlotte-style one (Midtown). There is so much vacant land around downtown that there's plenty of space for a "big box" development like that.

I wonder if we'd see any of this type development for Church Street? It would preferably be a part of a larger mixed use development with housing. The street fronting condition will be a huge deal after the City has made this initiative to reduce and improve the corridor, but we SHOULD see development follow. Hopefully, it's appropriate and of strong urban quality.

I wonder if we'd see any of this type development for Church Street? It would preferably be a part of a larger mixed use development with housing. The street fronting condition will be a huge deal after the City has made this initiative to reduce and improve the corridor, but we SHOULD see development follow. Hopefully, it's appropriate and of strong urban quality.

That was addressed years ago when they passed the Haynie Sirrine Master Plan as ordinance.