The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I wonder if we'd see any of this type development for Church Street? It would preferably be a part of a larger mixed use development with housing. The street fronting condition will be a huge deal after the City has made this initiative to reduce and improve the corridor, but we SHOULD see development follow. Hopefully, it's appropriate and of strong urban quality.

The recently cleared property sitting at the corner of Church and University Ridge (across from the NEXT Innovation Center and above Sirrine Stadium) has an "available" sign posted with the words "mixed-use." Having seen previous conceptual drawings for development of that location, I'm anticipating a nice extension of the urban streetscape along that portion of Church Street.

But, how strictly they enforce it is a different story...

This isn't like other plans that are just a guide, this one is ordinance. Whole area is zoned PD and when the plans are submitted for review they have to follow the design as per the ordinance and they have which is why nothing has been developed out there. There is some question though of how they will handle it going forward. The plan called for street parking and some of the densities assumed it would be available but since it is a federal road street parking was not allowed by federal law and so when the new road work is done there will not be any street parking. Federal law is also requiring them to get rid of almost of left hand turns meaning everything will be right in right out.

A few years ago Checkers wanted to go on Church St. and the city said use is fine and so is two drive-thrus but you have to be at least two stories tall and built all the way against the sidewalk. Well the second story destroyed the economics of the deal and pulling to the side walk would result it cars queuing in the street.

I wonder if we'd see any of this type development for Church Street? It would preferably be a part of a larger mixed use development with housing. The street fronting condition will be a huge deal after the City has made this initiative to reduce and improve the corridor, but we SHOULD see development follow. Hopefully, it's appropriate and of strong urban quality.

I still think that the County Square/Bell Tower Mall site could work for that IF it's linked to the West End so that the whole area would be walkable and IF the demographics of the area work. I grew up shopping there and it attracted people from the Crescent Avenue, Augusta Road and Parkins Mill Road areas but Greenville's retail scene is so different now.

Seems like there are some low-income areas around Church Street, but then again, the West End seems upscale...

Edited by mallguy

When you say "they have to follow the design as per the ordinance and they have which is why nothing has been developed out there" are you saying the ordinance is a bad thing, or that nothing has happened yet due to the road not being finished?

This isn't like other plans that are just a guide, this one is ordinance. Whole area is zoned PD and when the plans are submitted for review they have to follow the design as per the ordinance and they have which is why nothing has been developed out there. There is some question though of how they will handle it going forward. The plan called for street parking and some of the densities assumed it would be available but since it is a federal road street parking was not allowed by federal law and so when the new road work is done there will not be any street parking. Federal law is also requiring them to get rid of almost of left hand turns meaning everything will be right in right out.

A few years ago Checkers wanted to go on Church St. and the city said use is fine and so is two drive-thrus but you have to be at least two stories tall and built all the way against the sidewalk. Well the second story destroyed the economics of the deal and pulling to the side walk would result it cars queuing in the street.

No I didn't state whether it was good or bad. But the design requirements have created a situation where projects on the stretch at least right now don't make economic sense and it certainly didn't help that for years the city expected those restrictions to be followed despite the fact they had no idea when they would get around to the road work. It is only happening now because of the stimulus.

Ok, I see what you mean now. I am slightly worried about the fact that there will be no real left turns except at University and Pearl but it seems having a light at those two locations and hopefully building around those two intersections as planned in the original plans will push traffic there. Entrances off of University should offer nice access to the piece of land in front of the stadium. The old coin laundry location and empty lot next to Zaxby's could be affected by this though, I would think.

Great article in the current Greenville Journal issue:

http://www.journalwatchdog.com/city/1113-city-theres-more-to-come

Susan Reynolds and Nancy Whitworth shared some of their wants for downtown with the reporter. Among other things, they mentioned more retailers, a movie theatre, a bowling alley, and more apartments.

I like the whole article, but especially this part:

Nancy Whitworth, Greenville’s economic development director, said it takes more than just checking needs off a list. “You’re never complete,” she said. “You’re constantly working to get better. We want to continue to take what we have and make it better.”

Someone recently posted about the number of retail spaces for lease on North Main. I walked this stretch on Friday trying to decided where to have lunch, and I think I counted two. I'm not sure what they were referring to... :dontknow:

I counted three or four, but wouldn't say that is "a high number.

Another new art gallery type place has apparently opened in the West End, adjacent to Midtown Artery. This may be part of the new Design With Wine, but I'not sure. It is located in the space most recently occupied by Center Piece Lounge, which relocated to West Greenville.

Edited by Skyliner

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like something might be going into the space next to the Beaded Frog. :dontknow: Blue tarp was over the front of the building and there were workers doing renovation work. Oh and it's north of Mast. ;)

I don't even know where the Beaded Frog is, but I'm still waiting on Pita Pit!

I don't even know where the Beaded Frog is, but I'm still waiting on Pita Pit!

It's this space: http://www.loopnet.c...B737626A15A.pdf :thumbsup: Beaded Frog is located across Main Street from the Hyatt next to Jersey Mike's. Dark Corner Distillery or Pita Pit would be my guess.

Edited by citylife

It's this space: http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/6/6/C/66C908E1-BD20-4FDE-B118-EB737626A15A.pdf :thumbsup: Beaded Frog is located across Main Street from Hyatt next to Jersey Mike's.

Ahhh, thanks! Speaking of North Main retail... does anyone know when the Hyatt entrance, even space, and retail spaces will begin construction?

From what I hear, lululemon now has Greenville officially on its radar. Not sure if it is for downtown or Haywood....I just understand they are "looking at the area". Apparently, a small of group from lululemon were in town recently and apparently quite smitten with Pedal Chic. Don't know any more than that.

Has Reedy Bike Rentals (I think that's the name) been discussed on this forum? It's on McBee next to The Cazbah. I was walking past on a Saturday a few weeks ago and saw two people returning their bikes. They could really use a greater presence, which could possibly be achieved from lining their bikes up outside. Either way, though, it's a great concept for Greenville. Closer proximity to the trail could benefit them, but it's not a bad location anyhow. I was glad to see them! :good:

Has Reedy Bike Rentals (I think that's the name) been discussed on this forum? It's on McBee next to The Cazbah. I was walking past on a Saturday a few weeks ago and saw two people returning their bikes. They could really use a greater presence, which could possibly be achieved from lining their bikes up outside. Either way, though, it's a great concept for Greenville. Closer proximity to the trail could benefit them, but it's not a bad location anyhow. I was glad to see them! :good:

Jamie, the owner, has been in business for a while, but never had a retail presence. Previously, she would deliver the bikes.

My husband and I rented bikes there on Saturday. I had purchased a Living Social deal for Reedy Rides, but had no idea where they were downtown! Looks like they're just getting set up in their retail space, but it was a great experience, and I would recommend them to anyone!

Really surprised to see a couple well-established Greenville businesses suddenly empty in the last couple weeks.

Both Jim Beam's Service Station (on McBee) and Gene's Restaurant across from the Upcountry History Museum seemed to disappear overnight.

I found out that Jim (best mechanic ever!) moved his business to Anderson after 27 years in downtown Greenville because the building owner wants to sell.

Does anyone know what's going on with Gene's? I'm hoping they just moved as well?

Really surprised to see a couple well-established Greenville businesses suddenly empty in the last couple weeks.

Both Jim Beam's Service Station (on McBee) and Gene's Restaurant across from the Upcountry History Museum seemed to disappear overnight.

I found out that Jim (best mechanic ever!) moved his business to Anderson after 27 years in downtown Greenville because the building owner wants to sell.

Does anyone know what's going on with Gene's? I'm hoping they just moved as well?

I am sort of glad Jim Beam's is gone. I think that old station could see an incredible re-use. Someone with vision turn it into a restaurant, open garage doors, outdoor seating, etc. Could be cool. In fact, don't quote me, but I hear there is something like that in the works. :whistling: Could be why he moved......

No idea about Gene's.

I'm guessing some of the former regulars at Gene's were affected by the city's smoking ban.

Well I heard some months ago that Mr. Spinx wanted to build something there. Matter of fact the paletes(spelling?)place next door is closed to. He may be getting started on that.