The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

A little surprised about Jim Beam's! I know lots of people who take their cars there for service, doubt they'll be going all the way to Anderson though! It's funny, I was just sitting at the traffic light the other day looking at the place thinking how neat that building could be as something else.

Edited by p2y2r7o

Rio Grille to become Breakwater Restaurant and Bar: http://www.greenvill...hMainStreet.pdf

A new restaurant called "21 East" slated for interesection of Brown and Washington Streets: http://www.greenvill...tWashington.pdf and http://www.greenvill...ashingtonSt.pdf

The owner of the 21 east has some pretty cool ideas for this place.

Rio Grille to become Breakwater Restaurant and Bar: http://www.greenvill...hMainStreet.pdf

The logo is identical to that of the Beaufort restaurant of the same name (http://www.breakwatersc.com), which features award-winning "new South" cuisine. Wonder who will be the chef in Greenville.

Rio Grill had arguably the most extensive salad bar selection in the city, including jumbo boiled shrimp and salmon filet. I preferred that to the itinerant meat selections.

Has Reedy Bike Rentals (I think that's the name) been discussed on this forum? It's on McBee next to The Cazbah. I was walking past on a Saturday a few weeks ago and saw two people returning their bikes. They could really use a greater presence, which could possibly be achieved from lining their bikes up outside. Either way, though, it's a great concept for Greenville. Closer proximity to the trail could benefit them, but it's not a bad location anyhow. I was glad to see them! :good:

Reedy Rides is looking to increase visibility with new signage over their W. McBee location. http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/AUGUST/DesignReviewBoard/08-04-2011/CA-11-147-12WestMcBee.pdf

The logo is identical to that of the Beaufort restaurant of the same name (http://www.breakwatersc.com), which features award-winning "new South" cuisine. Wonder who will be the chef in Greenville.

Love this! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I've been to Breakwater before....serious foodie scene. It'll be nice to have another Open Table winner along with Rick Erwins.

Also:

A cool new store that opens downtown this weekend. Invert.

Edited by gsupstate

Also:

A cool new store that opens downtown this weekend. Invert.

http://www.invertactionsports.com/

Hmm, so I guess Ground Industries is done for and this is taking it's place. Looks like they didn't have to do much other than throw in some extra stuff like clothes and they were ready to open...and looks like they opened up the space a little more too. I still don't know how well they'll do seeing as how anti-skateboard Greenville is. A downtown skate shop just doesn't seem to work in a downtown where all forms of skateboarding are illegal. mad.gif Maybe someday those in charge will open their eyes and realize that taking away forms of transportation is the opposite of progression. Greenville is kinda like my Jeep. I love it most of the time, but every now and then it has some stupid problem and I just wanna kick it.

Hmm, so I guess Ground Industries is done for and this is taking it's place. Looks like they didn't have to do much other than throw in some extra stuff like clothes and they were ready to open...and looks like they opened up the space a little more too. I still don't know how well they'll do seeing as how anti-skateboard Greenville is. A downtown skate shop just doesn't seem to work in a downtown where all forms of skateboarding are illegal. mad.gif Maybe someday those in charge will open their eyes and realize that taking away forms of transportation is the opposite of progression. Greenville is kinda like my Jeep. I love it most of the time, but every now and then it has some stupid problem and I just wanna kick it.

Considering the strict anti-skateboarding laws, I was surprised Ground Industries stayed there as long as they did, and I'll be surprised if Invert lasts more than a year in that location. The good news is that Ground Industries appears to be open for business at a nearby location (closer to TTR Bikes), according to their website.

Edit: After a closer look, it appears Ground Industries is now located in or very near the Pendleton Street Arts District in West Greenville.

Edited by Skyliner

Yeah, I didn't expect Ground to close their main warehouse considering they've been up and running since at least 2003, and their mountain boards are popular across the country...the downtown store though, no surprise there. Glad they have another store open though. I bought a longboard from them a while back and they make good stuff! It's just unfortunate they're in a city that doesn't support it. I also was surprised their store was open so long and I'll give Invert no more than a year as well.

Further skating rant: When I say the city doesn't support it, I mean exactly that. Not just downtown. It seems like anywhere I go these days there are either police officers patrolling and waiting to tell you to stop, or their are residents complaining and calling police. The law says that I am allowed to skate (longboard) any street with a speed limit posted below 30mph as long as it's not in the CBD, yet there are officers telling us to leave streets that we've skated for years with no issues. Also, I have never had problems longboarding the Swamp Rabbit Trail...until a couple weeks ago! Once again, we were told it was not allowed even though there are no signs posted anywhere. My longboard and I are nowhere near as dangerous as the cyclists who ride WAY too fast on the trail and feel they don't need to give you a heads up when they're passing you. It's so unfortunate the negative stereotypes placed on all of us for the trespassing/property damage from a select few street skaters, and seems like such an easy fix with a law stating all four wheels must remain on the ground...possibly something about speed.

Is there actually a law prohibiting skateboards on the Swamp Rabbit Trail? That is incredibly short-sighted, if true. I would protest any prohibitive action that is not clearly backed by law. I would also send City Council a carefully written letter explaining the differences between users as mentioned (there are differences between cyclists as well), and include the benefits of using a skateboard (or even skates) as a method of transportation in addition to recreation/exercise.

Is there actually a law prohibiting skateboards on the Swamp Rabbit Trail? That is incredibly short-sighted, if true. I would protest any prohibitive action that is not clearly backed by law. I would also send City Council a carefully written letter explaining the differences between users as mentioned (there are differences between cyclists as well), and include the benefits of using a skateboard (or even skates) as a method of transportation in addition to recreation/exercise.

As far as I know there is no law stating that. Im going to email the recreation director to check on that, and I do plan on writing something to city council once I get some thoughts together and written down.

What does skateboarding have to do with downtown retail?

Just a little side talk stemming from news of ground industries...where's the harm in that? Chill out.

And if you really need some connection then how about this. Allowing skateboarding could potentially open up new possibilities for shops, maybe even some skate-related events in the downtown area that aren't possible now. Stroller-pushing moms, families, and businessmen are not the only ones who want to be able to enjoy downtown and all of the great things it offers, and its selfish for anyone to think otherwise.

Just a little side talk stemming from news of ground industries...where's the harm in that? Chill out.

And if you really need some connection then how about this. Allowing skateboarding could potentially open up new possibilities for shops, maybe even some skate-related events in the downtown area that aren't possible now. Stroller-pushing moms, families, and businessmen are not the only ones who want to be able to enjoy downtown and all of the great things it offers, and its selfish for anyone to think otherwise.

During the mid-1990s a fairly large group of family and friends would meet in Cleveland Park on random Saturdays and then rollerblade along the Reedy River (now the Swamp Rabbit Trail) into Downtown, where we usually stopped at Fuddrucker's for refreshment. After a few participants learned the hard way that there is a significant difference in performance quality between skate brands, we began taking a repair kit with spare parts in preparation for equipment failure along the route. I remember thinking how nice (and convenient) a downtown skate shop would be. Of course, Greenville was more skater friendly in those days. It would be difficult to skate on the sidewalks today with so many pedestrians present.

A new restaurant called "21 East" slated for interesection of Brown and Washington Streets: http://www.greenvill...tWashington.pdf and http://www.greenvill...ashingtonSt.pdf

I love it that 21 East is adding more retail/restaurant space to Washington Street! With the bookends being constructed across the street, I hope the Brown Street activity and vibe will head south from North St to Washington. The east side of those brown Street blocks have SOOO much potential!

Here's a project that would do great in downtown Greenville:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Roc_City

I went to it yesterday. The area around it is kind of rough, despite a few high-end condo buildings nearby, but it definitely had plenty of families and under-21s in it. It's basically a movie theater + some restaurants + a grocery store + an indoor amusement park + a fitness center, all outside, and pedestrian-friendly, in a downtown area.

Here's a project that would do great in downtown Greenville:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/New_Roc_City

I went to it yesterday. The area around it is kind of rough, despite a few high-end condo buildings nearby, but it definitely had plenty of families and under-21s in it. It's basically a movie theater + some restaurants + a grocery store + an indoor amusement park + a fitness center, all outside, and pedestrian-friendly, in a downtown area.

I absolutely LOVE that concept. Unfortunately, Greenville's been there, sorta tried that, it failed miserably so far. We called it "Magnolia Park" at first, but soon it will be better known as "Cherrydale 2." (Frustration not aimed at you Mallguy - love your posts - just at the "what coulda been" over at the old Greenville Mall site.) Sigh.

cry.gif

I absolutely LOVE that concept. Unfortunately, Greenville's been there, sorta tried that, it failed miserably so far. We called it "Magnolia Park" at first, but soon it will be better known as "Cherrydale 2." (Frustration not aimed at you Mallguy - love your posts - just at the "what coulda been" over at the old Greenville Mall site.) Sigh.

cry.gif

Thanks. I agree with you. The Greenville Mall site should become America's first dead mall museum and no further retail development on the site should be tried, in my view. Greenville Mall's '95 incarnation was my favorite mall ever, but 3 strikes and they're out.

Everyone think of the absolute boldest and brightest yellow you can imagine. Something akin to this yellow on this face: <_< . Now, apply that to a storefront. The work is underway for the new Kozani storefront. The rock is up, as well as the new "windows", and the building is being painted that yellow color that you just pictured. I'm hoping that they tone it down a lot. The DPC application looked ok, and much better than a classical mural, but I'm having second thoughts on this one. The windows look incredible cheap too. Ok, I'll stop complaining, but check it out everyone. Thoughts?