The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Everyone think of the absolute boldest and brightest yellow you can imagine. Something akin to this yellow on this face: <_< . Now, apply that to a storefront. The work is underway for the new Kozani storefront. The rock is up, as well as the new "windows", and the building is being painted that yellow color that you just pictured. I'm hoping that they tone it down a lot. The DPC application looked ok, and much better than a classical mural, but I'm having second thoughts on this one. The windows look incredible cheap too. Ok, I'll stop complaining, but check it out everyone. Thoughts?

Could it be a primer coat? Let's hope so.

Kozani has seemed determined through their various plans to introduce bad taste into a lovely downtown. Does Qwikees own Kozani? :P

No, that is what will be done by the 2nd phase of the "One" project. Who's the NIMBY this time?

If this is directed at my previous post, I don't think Kozani shouldn't be there......they should just use good taste (if they are able to....not sure after the various designs I've seen).

The people against One, simply don't want the development. That would be NIMBY. :D

That last claim is simply inaccurate. The people I know who dislike the project's design and layout are unanimously in favor of its potential tenants. Both cases are examples of local citizens voicing their opinions regarding new project proposals.

Let's see,

- I'm simply against a bad color choice and bad taste facade at Kozani, but hey if they want to muck up downtown with poor taste, let them.....I certainly won't give them any business.

- The people against One have filed petitions and are going to court to try to overturn the city approval for One. Both Heidi and Conway have said they would rather this area be turned into a park.

If those two things are in the same league to you, that's your opinion. :good:

Urban Thread is planning to open a new store on North Main Street. They sell discounted clothing from Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, J. Crew, etc.

Edit: This is the post that didn't appear last night.

Maybe if I reply with a new post, it will update. This is a test.

Edit: It worked!

Edited by Skyliner

Urban Thread is planning to open a new store on North Main Street. They sell discounted clothing from Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, J. Crew, etc.

Edit: This is the post that didn't appear last night.

Sounds cool...from reviews of their other stores it seems they're a little weak in the men's clothes. Oh well, what's new there? Looks like we'll have another primarily women's clothing store. Hopefully the men's stuff is at least decent.

I'd personally never want to see a Walmart on Main Street in downtown Greenville. If one wants to come to this area, they can easily locate on Church Street behind Sirrine Stadium on that plot of land for sale instead. It wouldn't be located in the heart of downtown but would still be close enough to serve the needs of residents living there.

Citylife you either had inside info or you are psychic. Walmart is looking at this very site for a 90,000 sq.ft. store. That would be a little less than half the size of a Supercenter but yet would include both retail and groceries. This is still very preliminary at this point, but we should be hearing a lot more about this in the month of August, maybe sooner.

Ideally this project will have an urban design and multiple uses. No word on that yet though.

Citylife you either had inside info or you are psychic. Walmart is looking at this very site for a 90,000 sq.ft. store. That would be a little less than half the size of a Supercenter but yet would include both retail and groceries. This is still very preliminary at this point, but we should be hearing a lot more about this in the month of August, maybe sooner.

Ideally this project will have an urban design and multiple uses. No word on that yet though.

Link?

This is great news. I've been saying for a long time that more regular retail is needed downtown-ish.

I assume that the development will be called Bell Tower Mall II?

(Speaking of which: hopefully this will spur the redevelopment of County Square into something more useful.)

Edited by mallguy

I personally do not think a Wal Mart is needed downtown, There is already a Publix on McBee, Baby BI-LO on North Main and Church and a nice retro feeling Kmart ( nice Compared to other Kmarts these days) on Church Street. I hope this doesn't hurt any of these retailers. I think Publix will hold their own against them because of the more upscale aspect of it. I am not sure about the others. This Wal-mart sounds like it will be similar in size to the one on Pelham Rd. Now a Target in this location would be better. It would offer trendier merchandise for downtown dwellers with less emphasis on a full line of groceries- therefore not hurting the other grocers downtown as much.

I like the fact that it will be built up to the street and have interior parking. Of course, given the Haynie-Sirrine plan that would be expected.

Hopefully apartments and office space will be included. This site demands density (as well as a great connection to the Swamp Rabbit). If this is not developed with lots of uses, then they deserved to be turned down.

Hopefully apartments and office space will be included. This site demands density (as well as a great connection to the Swamp Rabbit). If this is not developed with lots of uses, then they deserved to be turned down.

+1. This area screams for more density and it will help create a standard for other development in the area to be mixed use. It would be nice to see 3 or 4 story building incorporated into the site with some apartments located in the development.

Looking at the preliminary renderings, it looks like a generic, suburban Walmart crammed up to the street. They have the capital to produce a much better design. Hopefully the City will jump in and encourage a real mixed-use project (as zoned). Anything less in scope (size is less important) than McBee Station should be rejected, in my opinion. I would like to see a strong and creative residential component added, in addition to office space for small businesses.

I thought the city was planning a road diet in this area. If big box retail is going in Church is going to need all its lanes. I think this would be better located as an anchor to revitilize the blighted Poinsett area between Downtown and Cherrydale. I would like this area to get more retail like Kohls, Target, Belk, JcPenney, Best Buy to compliment Cherrydale. It is badly needed on that side of town.

I do like that they plan to put parking in the back, but I agree that this Walmart needs a better design then what is being proposed along with mixed-use functions like office space, apartments, and other retail/restaurant options on site. Something like McBee Station or Riverplace even if it does include a Walmart would be great.