The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

According to a post on another forum, a shop selling savory (chicken pot pie, steak and ale, etc.) and sweet (apple, peach-blueberry, pecan) pies made with local ingredients is looking to possibly open in the former Liquid Highway location that recently closed on Main Street. We'll see if it happens or not. Definitely hoping it does. :good:

Edited by citylife

So one on Woodruff, one on Haywood, and one Downtown? Wow.

Wish they would hold off and do one on Church St. in conjunction with another development. I forget when it was, but was reading something recently in Entrepreneur magazine about the draw Chipotle has and what it does for the surrounding stores.

Unless they're planning to put a Chipotle on Haywood road there's not one there now. The last time I was in Chipotle, one of the guys that works there said that the new location would be Augusta rd, but it's possible that it could be at a different spot downtown. I mentioned that I had to drive from downtown to Woodruff road and how it would be nice if there was one that was closer and he said that they were putting a new location on Augusta rd.

Don't know exactly where downtown yet.

So one on Woodruff, one on Haywood, and one Downtown? Wow.

They're also planning locations at Cherrydale and on Wade Hampton Blvd. A lease has been signed for one in Anderson on Clemson Blvd. in front of Kohl's as well.

Edited by citylife

In that case, I say put that thing on Main Street somewhere in the West End. Dutch Treat or The Lollipop Shop space would be fine. Otherwise, the Atlanta Bread Company space in Ivey Square or the somewhat small Quizno's space by CVS would be decent.

I could see it going to the old ABC space. I'd really love to see it in the West End. While you don't have the office concentration right on top of you for lunch time business, people would certainly walk for Chipotle.

Edited by GvilleSC

Nothing would make me happier than a Chick-fil-A downtown. I assume they are still waiting on the right location and it seems Augusta Road would be the most logical choice and more inline with their development strategy (free standing with a drive thru), although there is a Chick-Fil-A on Main Street in Columbia sans drive thru.

I heard a rumor at one time that they were trying to acquire the Duncan Hardware Store on Augusta to tear down but it fell through.

I wish someone would buy the retail center on the corner of Augusta and Faris and redevelop it (with a Chick-Fil-A and some great looking small shop space)....... although I would greatly miss Cheers.

Nothing would make me happier than a Chick-fil-A downtown. I assume they are still waiting on the right location and it seems Augusta Road would be the most logical choice and more inline with their development strategy (free standing with a drive thru), although there is a Chick-Fil-A on Main Street in Columbia sans drive thru.

I heard a rumor at one time that they were trying to acquire the Duncan Hardware Store on Augusta to tear down but it fell through.

I wish someone would buy the retail center on the corner of Augusta and Faris and redevelop it (with a Chick-Fil-A and some great looking small shop space)....... although I would greatly miss Cheers.

If you are talking about the retail strip that used to have the paper place and the unpainted furniture place (Faris and Augusta), that is about to be torn down. As soon as the last lease runs out, it is being torn down and rebuilt.

If you are talking about the retail strip that used to have the paper place and the unpainted furniture place (Faris and Augusta), that is about to be torn down. As soon as the last lease runs out, it is being torn down and rebuilt.

I hope they do a better job of addressing Augusta than Walgreens did. Their current set-up is fine if they just reproduce that. Although, moving it closer to the street and putting the parking in the back with a mix of uses would phenomenal.

Someone mentioned Columbia's Chickfila-- that one is kind of gross. Somehow that location has not kept up with the brand's image that is carried through the rest of their markets. And, I hope a downtown Greenville location would stay open past 6. Chickfila would make great drunk food!

Edited by GvilleSC