The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I believe you're right. I hope they keep good hours and stay open late.

I'm finishing up my masters degree in city planning and my final project was on planning for food trucks in Greenville. One of my recommendations is that they be allowed downtown late night, after most restaurants close, to serve all the people coming out of bars and such. There's definitely a lack of late night food options right now.

• Like 1

We were just talking at work today about Greenville's lack of food trucks. I hope downtown Greenville's "gated community" mindset isn't what's holding them back.

Greenville's regulations were passed before the recent food truck explosion. They're pretty hostile to the industry, especially downtown where they're banned completely. But, given how many cities are changing their attitudes, I'm hopeful that Greenville will eventually want to join the party. I don't think it would be appropriate to allow them downtown during the day, but there are a lot fewer arguments against allowing them late night and a number of good arguments in favor of it. Then, the challenge will be finding talented entrepreneurs to start up some trucks.

• Like 1

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/MAY/BoardofZoningAppeals/05-17-2012/S-12-103-103NorthMainSt.pdf

The 4th floor and roof patio of the Proaxis (Verizon is ground level tenent) building will become a event space, pending approval of course. Great idea and location for something like this.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/MAY/BoardofZoningAppeals/05-17-2012/S-12-103-103NorthMainSt.pdf

The 4th floor and roof patio of the Proaxis (Verizon is ground level tenent) building will become a event space, pending approval of course. Great idea and location for something like this.

That will be a spectacular use of space on the Piazza!

Whats your reasoning?

In NY, sidewalk and street space is at a premium, with mobs of people in certain areas; I don't like even more things taking up the right-of-way. Plus I have questions about sanitation; I don't think that food trucks in NY are subject to the same inspections and grades that "regular" restaurants are.

In NY, sidewalk and street space is at a premium, with mobs of people in certain areas; I don't like even more things taking up the right-of-way. Plus I have questions about sanitation; I don't think that food trucks in NY are subject to the same inspections and grades that "regular" restaurants are.

New Yorkers joke about the "mystery meat" from the food carts for a reason! :silly:

I'm all for food carts in downtown Greenville, provided they are done well. I'm confident that if the city is involved, the outcome would be a good one. :good:

New Yorkers joke about the "mystery meat" from the food carts for a reason! :silly:

I'm all for food carts in downtown Greenville, provided they are done well. I'm confident that if the city is involved, the outcome would be a good one. :good:

Having food trucks downtown late night would certainly be a good thing, but there's also a lot of potential for serving people in the rest of the city. One of my focuses was on people who work at businesses outside of downtown. Instead of getting in their car and driving to get lunch, having a food truck pull into their parking lot would be particularly convenient and would create a degree of walkability in a city that is on the whole quite suburban in character. There's also the possibility of having regular food truck events that activate public spaces and engage the community.

I'm not particularly concerned about the food safety issue. What we're seeing in other cities are not the roach coaches of the past, but high quality, interesting food served at reasonable prices. There's no indication that they're any less safe than brick and mortar restaurants. Ultimately, it's up to the market to decide. If food trucks start to make people sick, they'll quickly lose customers. I say we give them the chance to prove themselves.

• Like 1

OMG. The "salt block" thing has been done to death. :sick: It was just the natural extension of the "plank".

Downtown Greenville needs to step it up a notch....how about a bar where the mixologist spins only drinks from the turn of the century.....or the current "avocado bar" trend.....tiki is big again......the Automat is getting recognition.....more farm to table places with onsite gardens.....so many fun options and they are being overlooked in Greenville. We are still missing kaiten sushi, which is a staple in many cities.

OMG. The "salt block" thing has been done to death. :sick: It was just the natural extension of the "plank".

Downtown Greenville needs to step it up a notch....how about a bar where the mixologist spins only drinks from the turn of the century.....or the current "avocado bar" trend.....tiki is big again......the Automat is getting recognition.....more farm to table places with onsite gardens.....so many fun options and they are being overlooked in Greenville. We are still missing kaiten sushi, which is a staple in many cities.

The best part about this place would be that is open until 2am. We need more places that stay open late!

Regarding the new place, Sushi, aside from the unimaginative name I like it. Being open until 2 AM is great. I'm good with the salt block since it's not something you'll currently find downtown. I just hope their cooking is better than their spelling and grammar (the application above made me cringe at least five or six times).

The space next to Smiley's is now being upfitted. Still no clue what is planned though. I also noticed the for lease sign inside Liquid Highway's old space is now gone.

"The Growler Station - Fresh Craft Beer to Go." http://growler-station.com/ will be opening soon at 109 Augusta St., which I believe is the space next to Smiley's. I've heard that this location is somehow affiliated with Smiley's, but I have no evidence with which to corroborate that assertion.