The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I certainly hope Soby can turn Overlook around. They have severely cut their hours. I was going to stop in last week before the Moonlight Movie and they were closed with their new shortened hours posted on the door. From what I understand, much of their weekend business has gone away, thanks to the baggy pants brigade that crowds the entrance to Falls Park.

I certainly hope Soby can turn Overlook around. They have severely cut their hours. I was going to stop in last week before the Moonlight Movie and they were closed with their new shortened hours posted on the door. From what I understand, much of their weekend business has gone away, thanks to the baggy pants brigade that crowds the entrance to Falls Park.

I haven't noticed or really seen the thugs downtown in over a month now probably due to greater police enforcement of the curfew. Downtown is still just as packed as ever on the weekends. Personally, I haven't eaten at Overlook Grill in years while I have eaten at tons of other downtown restaurants during that same time span. Ever think that maybe the business is losing customers due to the restaurant's operations instead? Notice no other restaurants downtown have cut their hours and more are continuing to open every year.

Edited by citylife

I haven't noticed or really seen the thugs downtown in over a month now probably due to greater police enforcement of the curfew. Downtown is still just as packed as ever on the weekends. Personally, I haven't eaten at Overlook Grill in years while I have eaten at tons of other downtown restaurants during that same time span. Ever think that maybe the business is losing customers due to the restaurant's operations instead? Notice no other restaurants downtown have cut their hours and more are continuing to open every year.

I ate at Overlook for dinner about a month ago and the service was not good, it took an hour to get the food and another half hour after we finished to get the check. Beyond that the menu was incredibly small and not very appealing. I hope Soby can turn the place around, its an awesome location.

I've never eaten at Overlook Grill...and I've walked by it many times. Too many other good options. Carl Sobocinski will need to market it will to change the perception that it is mediocre food and bad service. I think a name change would help, as many people might not know that it is changing ownership otherwise.

I was thinking about this recently, but I don't remember posting it. So, if I did, then I apologize in advance.

I noticed that they were renovating a building in the West End, between Pedal Chic and the Cook's Station, I believe? The sign said it's going to be a dentist office. What amazed me about this was the number of dental office we've seen open downtown in the last several years. Falls Park Dental is on North Main, this one is opening in the West End, and there's the new one at McBee Station that is being upfitted. Am I missing any?

I just thought it was an interesting trend to see taking place. What other "service"-type industries are we lacking? I think the massage/spa niche is pretty well filled, but I'm not a patron, so I can't be sure...

I noticed that they were renovating a building in the West End, between Pedal Chic and the Cook's Station, I believe? The sign said it's going to be a dentist office. What amazed me about this was the number of dental office we've seen open downtown in the last several years. Falls Park Dental is on North Main, this one is opening in the West End, and there's the new one at McBee Station that is being upfitted. Am I missing any?

There's another dentist further up on Main, across from the Hyatt.

Further development along East McBee... redevelopment of the old filling station will transform it into a burger joint. It's actually not a renovation, but a demolition and re-building.

I would openly welcome a burger establishment, but I'm not sold on the building's form. They need to include a site plan. I'll reserve judgement.

Here's the DRB app: http://www.greenvill...astMcBeeAve.pdf

Edited by GvilleSC

One thing I said downtown has needed for a long time was more quick cheap food establishments that serve something other than sub sandwiches. This helps fill that void and will help increase foot traffic more off Main Street. I approve.

One thing I said downtown has needed for a long time was more quick cheap food establishments that serve something other than sub sandwiches. This helps fill that void and will help increase foot traffic more off Main Street. I approve.

I like it as well for that reason. The building looks nice and unique and it has a ton of outdoor dining which could make that stretch more pedestrian friendly. Also, it will only have four parking spaces for take out off of Irvine Street.

It's open until 10PM Mondays through Saturdays so I may have to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Amanda Henry’s Popcorn Parlor, a gourmet popcorn shop will be opening its doors for the first time in mid to late July at 18 Augusta Street with entrances on Augusta Street and Main Street: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/New-business-comes-to-Downtown-Greenville/-/9654794/14410284/-/uxp4cq/-/index.html

Renovations have also started on this Main Street building: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16942953/22-South-Main-Street-Greenville-SC/?LinkCode=10850&SourceCode=1lww2t006a00001& Don't know what if anything is planned.

Edited by citylife

You just beat me to the punch on the Popcorn place.

There hasn't been anything before the city on the Main Street building. If any exterior chanegs were being made, they would need prior approval. Perhaps with is just interior alterations or just gutting out some or all of the floors?

If it can't be Garrett, then I guess this home owned place will have to suffice.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/New-business-comes-to-Downtown-Greenville/-/9654794/14410284/-/uxp4cq/-/index.html

I give this place a year, due to low price point, and large availability of gourmet popcorn ordered on the web (not to mention Boy Scouts). If this place moves beyond brick and mortar and goes to the internet, they may make it, otherwise, depending on brick and mortar in WestEnd.....one year, tops.