The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

There have been several disjointed post on this place......one post called this place "Sushi", one post talked about a new "salt block" cooking place. This is it.

Red Fin. Sushi and fusion cuisine with salt blocks. Going into the old Art Bar space.

I think I have see the proposed name Cafe Outre also. Red Fin seems final - there is a prototype web site: http://redfinonmain.com/

Did you happen to notice if they had gift tins available? I would assume this would be a large part of their business.

I'm almost positive they do. If I hadn't been sick as a dog since Wednesday, I would've stopped in again.

Edited by Galley

I drove by last night. The place was packed (was this a soft opening?). With some people standing outside and light flooding out of the building's windows, this place is going to have a great impact on Washington Street (and should be quite visible, too). I wish them luck, and I can't wait to give it a shot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were just talking at work today about Greenville's lack of food trucks. I hope downtown Greenville's "gated community" mindset isn't what's holding them back.

From the Greenville News:

Years after some popular cities caught the food truck fever, at least two new trucks are planning to open up shop near downtown Greenville, though the city rules they face are stiff.

Asada, run by San Francisco transplants, will offer Mission-style tacos and Latin fusion food on Pendleton Street beginning Friday, say the couple behind it, Roberto Cortez and Gina Petti.

A dutiful sampling of the fresh chips and carne asada this week affirmed its faithfulness to west coast mores, and the food truck price: items will sell for $3 to $5.

Meanwhile, two chefs from New York will open Neue Southern sometime in August in the parking lot of The Community Tap by Church Street and Wade Hampton Boulevard.

Drawing on their expertise, Graham Foster and Lauren Zanardelli say they’ll be hand making sausages and cooking European food with a Southern twist. Foster said he doesn’t expects any items to exceed $10.

The food truck scene represents a form of urban development that’s more spontaneous than master planned, but the trucks are currently banned in downtown’s public space, according to city officials and a 97-page study by Jason Tanenbaum for his master’s thesis at Clemson University.

In public spaces outside downtown, food trucks can park for no more than 30 minutes, city laws say. Employees have to have bathrooms nearby. The truck must operate in connection with a permanent kitchen somewhere.

Edited by citylife

The food truck scene represents a form of urban development that’s more spontaneous than master planned, but the trucks are currently banned in downtown’s public space, according to city officials and a 97-page study by Jason Tanenbaum for his master’s thesis at Clemson University.

Downtown: Greenville's Gated Community

I'm sure we'll get food trucks downtown the day that Carl Sobocinski decides he wants one.

And yet another national retailer for downtown. Opens tomorrow at 610C South Main Street: http://www.lululemon...ille/greenville

There was an article on Retail Traffic, stating that GAP's version of Lululemon usually puts stores right next door to Lululemon ones so maybe there will be 2 similar things near each other. I don't understand what a "showroom" is exactly though.

No food trucks!

There was an article on Retail Traffic, stating that GAP's version of Lululemon usually puts stores right next door to Lululemon ones so maybe there will be 2 similar things near each other. I don't understand what a "showroom" is exactly though.

No food trucks!

From their website:

Showrooms are all about spreading the lululemon love in communities that don’t have stores (yet). We open showrooms to share our culture, work with local athletes and provide a retail location that is unique to that area. During the week, we may host private parties, plan community events. Our showrooms act as local experts on where to find great yoga, pilates, fitness, or just plain good times in the neighbourhood.

Showrooms are only open part of the week so that we can be out in the community meeting our neighbours and participating in local yoga and fitness classes.

I thought it was something of a stretch to put this here, but then really it isn't.

When a city has this kind of demand to have it's downtown as the setting for weddings, you know you have done something right....

Chances are you’ve seen a bride and groom photographed by the spray of the Reedy River. You might have walked by a wedding in the open air of Wyche Pavilion or jogged past a garden ceremony in the shadow of Mary’s Cottage with Falls Park unfurling in a lush roll of green.

Downtown Greenville isn’t just known for its restaurants and street festivals anymore. With a host of hotels, including one under renovation, as well as a long list of venues that fit most any theme, it’s become the most sought-after destination for couples getting married in the area.

About 80 percent of the weddings Samantha Rambo coordinates are held here, partly because of that textile mill, horse and carriage, classic Southern flavor downtown seems to perfectly envelop, says Rambo of B&R Events.

The other part is for the convenience and all the vendors, from caterers to photographers to florists, brides need laid out in a compact grid. Out-of-town guests can walk from place to place with no need for rental cars. There are places to shop, side trips to the park, an early morning visit to the farmer’s market.

It’s a place couples can proudly show off, Rambo says.

But the popularity also means a downtown Greenville wedding can come at a premium, and brides who want the location are having to make concessions.

While weddings nationwide have taken a dip in the uncertain economy, the market is still strong, with the average U.S. wedding costing $25,630 in 2011, down from more than $28,000 in 2008, according to The Wedding Report, which publishes industry statistics annually.

In Greenville, couples on average spend between $17,800 and $29,700. Factor in a wedding downtown, where the venues and hotels are more expensive, and that number can get as high as $40,000, Rambo says.

“I tell them to keep certain things in mind. For instance, parking’s not as easy downtown. Certain things will be a bit more expensive downtown,” she says. “There’s going to be a trade off.”

Some brides are booking two years out for a Saturday wedding at Zen, according to Nancy Henderson, the West End venue’s sales manager.

And at Wyche Pavilion — easily one of the most popular venues downtown — it’s common to see as many as four weddings a weekend within the walls that once held a carriage factory’s paint shop, says Kristina Murphy, director of catering for Larkin’s Restaurant.