The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I've been hoping for a large Strossner's like bakery somewhere in the west end for some time (Rhett St.?). Large, with parking available (a fullscale dehli would be nice too, but Rick's should fit that bill). 

A bakery at "NOMA" would be hard to access unless you're staying at the Hyatt, or live / work within a few blocks. Parking is difficult there, but maybe that bakery will be small and just want to cater to the North Main day-business & tourists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More information on Sully's here: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/JANUARY/BoardofZoningAppeals/01-17-2013/S-13-06-6EastWashingtonStreet.pdf I like how they are planning to stay open past midnight on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Edited by gman430

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there's a banner up on the McBee Bookened space (that previously housed The Perfect Gift) for a new tea place. I hope they do well, but I would be surprised if such a business venture can sustain rent for that space... But, everything is worth a shot! :thumbsup:

Looks like something is going in the building directly across Main Street from Breakwater. There is a building permit taped on the window and a large construction dumpster in the parking lot.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there's a banner up on the McBee Bookened space (that previously housed The Perfect Gift) for a new tea place. I hope they do well, but I would be surprised if such a business venture can sustain rent for that space... But, everything is worth a shot! :thumbsup:

http://www.tealoha.com/ It looks like the first floor space within the Bookends closest to CVS that housed the Whitmire Co. is now for lease though.

Edited by gman430

Any bets that this place won't make it a year?

Any bets that this place won't make it a year?

Terrible post. Someone is putting much time, energy and money into starting a new business and you want to take bets on whether the make it, or not? Ridiculous. You should be ashamed of such an attitude. You should be their first customer.

Terrible post. Someone is putting much time, energy and money into starting a new business and you want to take bets on whether the make it, or not? Ridiculous. You should be ashamed of such an attitude. You should be their first customer.

Wrong product for that location. Too many local aspiring entrepreneurs simply hear downtown and think it is the land of gold, without understanding the market (and sub markets) within downtown, the walking patterns of pedestrians, the wants, the needs, etc, etc. Look at all the failures....shall I name them?

O-Cha Tea Bar seems to be doing fine and they're the same type of establishment already located downtown.

I hope this doesn't hurt O-Cha in any way! It's been up and running for years now and I'd hate to see it go. They have had to move into a smaller space already and it does well enough to stay open, sure, but I don't think they do well enough to compete with another tea place. (at least one that becomes somewhat successful) Hope I'm wrong though. 

Agreed.  I find it surprising that a second tea place is coming downtown with one struggling.  There should be enough business for both, though.

(Separately, I thought that gs3 was moving to Dallas because "Greenville has a lot of growing to do" (his words).  I wonder when his last day in town will be.  Or was the move a mirage, like all of those claims of stores coming to Magnolia Park and elsewhere?)

I was in O-Cha a couple of weeks ago and they were slammed. I think they're doing ok. 

Not sure if it's just the times or specific days I've been in, but it's never been very busy when I'm there. I realize that it's a small space and a lot of customers likely get their drinks, etc then go, but rarely have I seen it slammed. Again, I'm not in there often so I might just be missing the crowds, but either way I'm just hoping for O-Cha's continued success.

Downtown needs another large retail anchor.

Enough cutesty gift shops, cutesy design stores and other low-traffic commercial uses.

Look at how much activity Mast has generated; we need an additional larger store with that kind of drawing power.  Maybe a cluster of mall-type stores would do it, with development building on Anthropologie.