The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Poked our heads in over the weekend to check out the space and then decided to grab a bite and try it out. We weren't very hungry so we just shared a large plate of shrimp & grits. Without drinks or appetizers I don't have a lot to go on, but what we had was pretty fantastic: awesome biscuits, the shrimp & grits was good (much better than I've had at Nantucket), portions were generous and the service was good.

They've done a great job creating an relaxing atmosphere that's really unique and seems to fit the farm-to-table vibe. I'll want to give it another try where we check out a few more dishes, but first impressions are good!

thanks! I ended up there tonight for a dinner reception and was really impressed. Terrific atmosphere and interiors, love the open kitchen and new set-up of the space. Food highlights were the Hot Brie Chili Fondue w/tortilla chips (craving them again already), the "Yard Bird" which is chicken & dumplings, and believe it or not, Collard Greens. Definitely will be back for a regular meal, as well as drinks in the bar area.

Poked our heads in over the weekend to check out the space and then decided to grab a bite and try it out. We weren't very hungry so we just shared a large plate of shrimp & grits. Without drinks or appetizers I don't have a lot to go on, but what we had was pretty fantastic: awesome biscuits, the shrimp & grits was good (much better than I've had at Nantucket), portions were generous and the service was good.

They've done a great job creating an relaxing atmosphere that's really unique and seems to fit the farm-to-table vibe. I'll want to give it another try where we check out a few more dishes, but first impressions are good!

Good to hear.

That makes sense. Any word on ground level retail?

Cafe & Crema, OrangeCoat, Iron Yard, Freeman & Major Architects, Grok, and others will all be calling this building home. Moving in of tenants will start in February or March.

Edited by gman430

Cafe & Crema, OrangeCoat, Iron Yard, Freeman & Major Architects, Grok, and others will all be calling this building home. Moving in of tenants will start in February or March.

And, I guess we can assume there will be no major renovation if people are moving in that quickly... It's not a terrible building, just rather passive at the ground level.

I never understand how folks willing to invest tens of thousands of dollars in a business venture can't manage to get a PDF of these zoning forms and use Acrobat Pro to insert typed text.  If I had that much riding on a business application, I wouldn't let other folks see my lousy handwriting.

I never understand how folks willing to invest tens of thousands of dollars in a business venture can't manage to get a PDF of these zoning forms and use Acrobat Pro to insert typed text.  If I had that much riding on a business application, I wouldn't let other folks see my lousy handwriting.

Sometimes they're filled out in person at the office. And, it's not always the owner. Sometimes it's the architect, or some other person involved, but not invested in the project... 

Edited by GvilleSC

Im sure the new businesses will improve the look on the outside.

Doesnt sound like much for now:

From Gville News-

"Hughes thinks of the Windstream building, which his company also owns, as the best site for downtown redevelopment, saying, “If a national company wanted to move here tomorrow, and they wanted us to build a building there, we’d do it.”

But for now, he’s simply looking for “short-term solutions” that would fill the building, and that solution comes in the form of the Iron Yard."

-New boutique retailer (can't remember the name) now open at 14 S. Main Street.

-Grape Leaf Mediterranean Restaurant now open on Main Street in the West End.

-The Clothing Warehouse might be closing. Can't confirm though.

-Wedding 101 now open across Main Street from Breakwater Restaurant.

Edited by gman430