The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

"Breaks ground"? The site was graded months ago and hasn't changed much since then other than remediation of some residual contamination. I drive by it almost every day. This same news story was picked up by GSA Business and QRS Magazine, among other outlets. Apparently the company is trying to generate some buzz for the delayed project by re-releasing old news to media. However, you yourself reported in this forum on Jan. 16 that bids would go out on January 22. Assuming that was true, I would expect to see real activity soon - just not within 9 days.

"Breaks ground"? The site was graded months ago and hasn't changed much since then other than remediation of some residual contamination. I drive by it almost every day. This same news story was picked up by GSA Business and QRS Magazine, among other outlets. Apparently the company is trying to generate some buzz for the delayed project by re-releasing old news to media. However, you yourself reported in this forum on Jan. 16 that bids would go out on January 22. Assuming that was true, I would expect to see real activity soon - just not within 9 days.

Breaks ground means start construction after long delay to them apparently. Zirkelbach was awarded the bid and they are the general contractor. I agree that nine days seems way too soon. I imagine we won't see workers on site until later this month.

Breaks ground means start construction after long delay to them apparently. Zirkelbach was awarded the bid and they are the general contractor. I agree that nine days seems way too soon. I imagine we won't see workers on site until later this month.

Right. They lost their initial buzz due to that delay, so they have to start cranking it up again. All in all I'm glad to see that they're on their game as it might bode well for their future success. 

The journal says the B of A building will Likely have retail on the first floor, post renovation.

Hmm, how much more space is there? I thought Camille's and the lobby was kind of maxing out their Piazza Bergamo frontage. I can't imagine anyone willing to open on the Richardson Street side, or under the parking garage.

And the closings continue on Main Street. Guadalajara looks like it might have bit the dust. Hopefully they're just adding new signage.

Diana Classic Children clothing store now open on Augusta Street next to Coccabella.

The Clothing Warehouse is still open so who knows. .

Edited by gman430

I wish them the best of luck with this! I like that location. Hopefully they can find success IF they have a good product.

This application is for exterior changes for the old Overlook Grill: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/MARCH/DesignReviewBoard/03-07-2013/CA-13-41-601SouthMainStreet.pdf

I think it's a little cheesy, but maybe it's just because I don't like all the facade treatment covering up the rock. I wish they'd open a nice modern, southern cuisine restaurant for such a unique location, as opposed to what we can assume will be French food? I wish them the best in their endeavor, but I hope their exterior proposals are shot down. At least it's Table 301 and we can expect good results on the restaurant concept.

Edited by GvilleSC