The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I thought the same thing. The Brown Street club was the inspiration for "upgrading" that block, and their closing reinforces the notion that it wasn't really sensible yet.

Thankfully, one establishment is not going to make or break a street. It was called Brown Street before there a Brown Street Club. The upgrade was worth it. Something else will go in that spot. Be patient. It will be big.

Yep. I said the city seems to be trying to push them out. They get an extreme amount of attention on fire codes, occupancy, the police, etc...much more so than many bars. Sad to see them expand. They are a redneck place. Would be great if the city would actually push them out.

Edit here....I see you are talking DT's. I was talking Dixies. We have two places confused.

Edited by gs3

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-04-2013/CA-13-68-11WestCamperdown.pdf

Gringo's exterior renovations have been sent to the City... I hope the City staff works with the owners. I hate seeing places try the peeling stucco with brick exposed. They have a nice building that fits the area. They don't need to try so hard with the exterior. However, Yap!'s facade makeover is still far worse.

This will get some peoples blood boiling: http://m.wyff4.com/news/Proposed-rules-will-keep-food-trucks-out-of-downtown/-/17443906/19185368/-/rk35p3z/-/index.html?utm_campaign=%5BLjava.lang.String;@477fb6cc&utm_medium=%5BLjava.lang.String;@11ba2fc0&utm_source=%5BLjava.lang.String;@5694ef57

I think it's pretty ridiculous. Food trucks require foot traffic by nature of their business model. Adding a 250-foot rule from other restaurants would make it virtually impossible to run a food truck in Greenville. But I think that's the point. My gut reaction is that this 'citizen task force' is the result of downtown restaurant owners using the law to bully what would otherwise be healthy competition. Food trucks are just beginning to take root in Greenville, but most other major cities have thriving food truck communities. Greenville should be embracing this movement — encouraging it for the good of the city — not figuring out ways to stifle it.

The bigger picture: The people starting these food trucks are young entrepreneurs who are further establishing Greenville as a food destination — as well as helping revitalize areas of the city (West Greenville specifically) that restauranteurs aren't willing to invest in. If the city approves this 250-foot recommendation, it will essentially be shutting down the entire movement as well as the secondary benefits (revitalization, quality food, new businesses) that come with it.

Edited by Lib
  • Like 1

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-04-2013/CA-13-68-11WestCamperdown.pdf

Gringo's exterior renovations have been sent to the City... I hope the City staff works with the owners. I hate seeing places try the peeling stucco with brick exposed. They have a nice building that fits the area. They don't need to try so hard with the exterior. However, Yap!'s facade makeover is still far worse.

The shutters are even worse.  What good are 12 inch shutters on a 8 foot wide window?

Not sure if I agree with a 250-foot restriction on food trucks, but I'd be in favor of ensuring that food trucks have to pay the same amount of taxes and the like so that they don't get away with using public spaces while having a competitive advantage over regular restaurants.

NYC is constantly clamping down on food trucks; they certainly can't just park anywhere here (in NYC).

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know the story behind Sully's? I haven't been in yet, but judging by their site, everything looks really well planned and executed. I was expecting it to be a chain, but I'm thrilled to see it's just the Greenville location. Whoever is behind this has done a fabulous job. I can't wait to get out there and support them!