The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I haven't been in yet, but judging by their site, everything looks really well planned and executed. I was expecting it to be a chain, but I'm thrilled to see it's just the Greenville location. Whoever is behind this has done a fabulous job.

Agreed.  :thumbsup:

The wine and spirits place next to Custom House has closed. Can't say I am surprised. Never saw anybody in there.

Anytime Fitness appears to be close to opening if they aren't already.

I'm not sure how I feel about Anytime Fitness' signage. But, it could be a result of the building's awning device that it sits upon. That is an aspect of that building that was poorly executed, IMO.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-04-2013/CA-13-68-11WestCamperdown.pdf

Gringo's exterior renovations have been sent to the City... I hope the City staff works with the owners. I hate seeing places try the peeling stucco with brick exposed. They have a nice building that fits the area. They don't need to try so hard with the exterior. However, Yap!'s facade makeover is still far worse.

The city staff has recommended approval WITHOUT the exposed brick patches, and has worked with them on paint color. Thankfully it sounds like no stucco, just painted brick.

-Looks like something might be going in the old sugar cookie space next to Ayers Leather Shop. Building permit is on the window. Not sure what though.

-Apparently it is an urgent care center going in next to CVS on McBee Avenue.

-Steel is going up for American Roadside Burgers.

-Sip is slated to open April 11th.

-Did Moe Joe Coffee stall or something? They are taking FOREVER to open.

Edited by gman430

I appreciate the thought of turning Main Street into a pedestrian zone (Fußgängerzone!). But I just don't think it's do-able here. Especially with how much people already whine about parking.

However, I think Main Street should definitely be turned into a "No Left Turn" zone. That's what turns it into a clogged-up parking lot.

• Like 3

In other news: Greenville News is suggesting shutting down Main to car traffic at all times.

I like the idea myself.

That is a horrible idea.  The book Suburban Nation discusses that topic, in past, cities that have done just that have seen decreased retail sales and ultimatley business closures.  They also talk about hom in Urban Settings one way streets also see lower retail sales numbers than two way streets.

I appreciate the thought of turning Main Street into a pedestrian zone (Fußgängerzone!). But I just don't think it's do-able here. Especially with how much people already whine about parking.

However, I think Main Street should definitely be turned into a "No Left Turn" zone. That's what turns it into a clogged-up parking lot.

^ I think that would be a great idea!

It's great to see this last retail space in Wachovia Place fill up! I wish them luck!

Had lunch at Sully's.  Really good, although it took a while to get lunch.  Service was very friendly and it looked like they were doing a good business.  Happened to be there while a sign company was present.  I assume they're working on increased signage beyond the appliques in the windows.

Had lunch at Sully's. Really good, although it took a while to get lunch. Service was very friendly and it looked like they were doing a good business. Happened to be there while a sign company was present. I assume they're working on increased signage beyond the appliques in the windows.

A permanent hanging sign and lighted signage above the storefront have been installed. Tables and chairs for the sidewalk appear to be getting implemented also.

Edited by gman430

A permanent hanging sign and lighted signage above the storefront have been installed. Tables and chairs for the sidewalk appear to be getting implemented also.

Great to hear about their sidewalk dining! That should definitely command greater interest by people walking up and down

Main. I can't wait to try them out!