The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I don't care for cars and don't even own one, but no part of any existing downtown street should be closed to car traffic.  I'd actually prefer not to have cars around, but in city after city where making downtown streets pedestrian-only, retail sales have suffered significantly. 

I would be happy if motorcycles were banned from cruising around downtown, though; the noise is a big irritant, at least to me.

• Like 2

However, I think Main Street should definitely be turned into a "No Left Turn" zone. That's what turns it into a clogged-up parking lot.

I'm not sure about the "no left turn" idea - while it would definitely improve traffic flow, that's not why many people take Main Street.   Many can't walk comfortably over a short distance, and just want to people watch from inside their car - a mini form of cruising.

Especially with how much people already whine about parking.

It seems that the ultra-handy parking lot behind the Suntrust building that was free on nights and weekends has now gone private.  The "Free parking on nights and weekends" signs were removed and replaced with "Customers only...others will be towed" signs.

I don't mind walking, I just hate to drive around endlessly looking for a spot.

Edited by bikeoid

It seems that the ultra-handy parking lot behind the Suntrust building that was free on nights and weekends has now gone private.  The "Free parking on nights and weekends" signs were removed and replaced with "Customers only...others will be towed" signs.

I don't mind walking, I just hate to drive around endlessly looking for a spot.

I just parked there last night. Hmm.

20 Shades of Green (nice play on words) for old cookie shop next to Ayers Leather Shop.

This will be some sort of salad creation restaurant it appears. Expect more retail leases to happen on Main Street between NOMA Square and ONE over the next few months according to NAI Earle Furman.

Edited by gman430

Former Palmetto Shades space between City Tavern and Traveling Chic Boutique leased. Like I said in my previous post, expect more leases to be signed in the two block radius along Main Street between ONE and NOMA Square over the next few months.

Edited by gman430

Former Palmetto Shades space between City Tavern and Traveling Chic Boutique leased. Like I said in my previous post, expect more leases to be signed in the two block radius along Main Street between ONE and NOMA Square over the next few months.

The Spice & Tea Exchange for this space. Opening late May.

It's more of a museum than anything else: http://www.miniatureworldoftrains.com/ I'm sure they'll have a gift shop though.

Spiritex for old Clothing Warehouse space: http://www.spiritex.net/ Three tenants including them were competing heavily for this space.

Tealoha next to Jimmy John's is scheduled to open May 13th: https://www.facebook.com/tealohasc

Greektown Grille is name of new restaurant for McBee Station: https://www.facebook.com/GreektownGrilleGreenville

Edited by gman430

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...