DigitalSky

Cum Park Plaza

20 posts in this topic

Someone really named a shopping center that? I want to know the history behind that name. Anyway, the center itself looks cool, and includes a Roses along with a Food Lion in Burlington...

DFDCAFE3-1269-48DA-9912-242F1D53E74E_or.jpg

Someone really named a shopping center that? I want to know the history behind that name. Anyway, the center itself looks cool, and includes a Roses along with a Food Lion in Burlington...

DFDCAFE3-1269-48DA-9912-242F1D53E74E_or.jpg

Wow. I'm really surprised the name was allowed. Very weird.

ooooh ok. explains a lot. I guess that word didn't have the connotation then that it does now.

Didn't they "update" the center's main sign maybe 5ish years ago? I seem to remember it being larger and older looking with perhaps an outline of a tree on it...?

Being that I did attend Cummings High School next door to sprite-Park Plaza for two years, we always suggested that they change the name to Cummings Park plaza. I heard too many jokes about that place growing up.

I guess it's like 'come in and park here' so they went with the name "sprite-Park"... they never forsaw the future 'filthiness' of American minds :lol:

*BUMP* This place sounds like a Wet and Wild Themed Adult Amusement Park, just saying...

407738_10100165249400921_25001032_42488610_1047809523_n.jpg

What was this store @ C*u*m Park Plaza originally? (BTW urbanplanet has autochange to change the word c-u-m to sprite - go figure)

Edited by DigitalSky

It's been a while since I've headed out that way but I'd occasionally head into Burlington on Hwy 70 back when I lived in Hillsborough in the mid-late '90s....I am pretty sure I recall this being a Schewels although I also remember there being a Heilig Meyers in the plaza....doesn't this store front 70 and is a seperate building from the main part of the plaza? If I recall Heilig Meyers was opposite Roses in the main part of the plaza (over by Wendys) and the Schewels was it's own building fronting 70....that would mean the plaza had 2 furniture stores at once although I doubt that would be too unusual....or maybe I'm confused and this was actually Heilig Meyers for part of the '90s and Schewels for the other part....I'm sure somebody here can clarify :-)

Edited by NCMike1981

Yeah Schewels moved from the shopping center next door to this location in 2010

You can see the old one on Streetview still http://g.co/maps/whpbx

Edited by DigitalSky

ah ok, that's where I recall them being! So it looks like the store pictured above (1/28) is the old Heilig Meyers location I was speaking of! I doubt Heilig Meyers was the original tenant....have no idea although as a side note I read somewhere that Roses actually opened with the plaza decades ago

Edited by NCMike1981

It's no worse than the folks in charge of store placement for Alamance Crossing putting a BJ's and a Dick's right next to each other........

If you're around here and have never been to C*m Park Grill, you're missing out.