Anderson County permenantly suspending blue laws

GSP Tiger

Link: Blue Laws take next step to demise

Anderson (SC) Independent-Mail (5-Dec-2006)

Blue laws in Anderson is one step closer to becoming history. The second reading of the proposal passed this evening that would permanantly suspend them. A vote in favor in the final reading of 19-Dec would initiate the change.

This is a great change of events. Instead of driving out of county, more businesses can open later and help boost the local economy. This should help entice more stores that Greenvilel and Spartanburg have that Anderson does not have to locate.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vote last night moved the county one step closer to eliminating them. Council member Michael Thompson deserves a lot of credit for this. He is leading the way and he'll suffer threats from the fundamentalist party. One guy at the Council meeting said removing the blue laws was an "attack on God".

(Just an editorial comment. It really irritates me when people take my faith (Christianity) and turn it into something petty like that! :angry: )

FYI for anyone who happens to live in their districts. Larry Greer and Cindy Wilson voted against the change. One more vote is necessary to make this change happen.

Good to see Anderson moving in the right direction.

^ What exactly are the rules in SC? Do y'all still have the Sunshine laws or whatever, where you can only buy liquor between certain times? Also, what's the rule with beer on Sunday at a grocery store. I noticed down at the beach that you could buy it after 12:30 (that was a few years ago), but I haven't noticed that in Aiken County yet (though I've heard something about it recently). Also, how about the rule that says you can't buy non-food items on Sunday before 12. Is that in effect through the whole state?

^ What exactly are the rules in SC? Do y'all still have the Sunshine laws or whatever, where you can only buy liquor between certain times? Also, what's the rule with beer on Sunday at a grocery store. I noticed down at the beach that you could buy it after 12:30 (that was a few years ago), but I haven't noticed that in Aiken County yet (though I've heard something about it recently). Also, how about the rule that says you can't buy non-food items on Sunday before 12. Is that in effect through the whole state?

^ Yeah, that happened to me in Aiken County. My girlfriend had to go to Walmart of all places (it was 12 o'clock on Sunday and nothing else around, blah blah) and she was in line with her stuff and the checkout person told her that she couldn't buy that for another hour.

But I do think you can buy beer on Sunday after 12:30 or something (which is kinda funny).

• 2 weeks later...

As much of a Christian as I am, I scratch my head when reading things like this (an excerpt from the article):

Opponents argued the change will force some employees to work on Sundays and hurt church attendance, although state law prohibits employers from forcing their employees to work before 1:30 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

The justification for the blue laws is that if you can't work or shop on Sunday morning, then you can go sit in a Church. Preferably a Christian one.

To my knowledge Horry has never followed them, probably due to them considering it unnecessarily meddling fromt he rest of the state, and of course Sunday morning is the last chance to get the last dollars from departing tourists. Georgetown county doesn't follow them either, but I don't think this has always been the case.

That article says that Oconee and Pickens don't have them either... unforntuately Clemson, Pendleton, Central, and Seneca do, so those of us in that part of the world are still SOL.

Since we live in the PC world, it all has to be equal and fair. The three major religions in the worth have their 'sabbath' on Friday (Islam), Saturday (Judeaism), and Sunday (Christian). We need to enforce blue laws on each of these days.

Omigod--Anderson Countians need to dump that idiot Mrs. Wilson! The comments were great--I don't see this rescinding going over well with the electorate. All hell is about to break loose. What hypocrites! BTW, to which of the Ten Commandments does the good ol' boy Mr. Wilson refer? "Thou shalt not buy Fruit of the Loom, pink flamingos, or Be-Dazzlers on Sundays"? I don't remember that one . . .

Archived