Euro Tunnel Issues and Financing

Lance Winslow

Does anyone know the latest on the Euro Tunnel and the Debt Financing Issues? What will be done. This is what happened last year;

The Euro Tunnel is now bankrupt, but it has a new leader to take over. A couple of years back the entire board of the EuroTunnel was sacked and a new board installed. Now we have a new boss at the helm; who comes in as the cash dry Chunnel Operation hits the end of the line. They are out of money.

Will the British be isolated again from the rest of the European Continent? The EuroTunnel has never made any money, never turned a profit. The investors where shown really impressive proformas, which would put Enron to shame. As a matter of fact if this were in the United States the operation would have been sued into oblivion by investors, State

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the Euro-tunnel may not be profitable itself, might it not make sense for the government to subsidize it because of the economic benefit it provides via much faster travel between continental Europe and the UK?

I think Britrail is a prime example of what happens when you privatize public transportation. I've never ridden British Rail because every time I tried, they had cancelled service for the day to make some repairs to the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Could'nt disagree with you there Snowguy!

Britain is the number one example of why privatising public transport is rarely a good idea...

Bus riderships is down year on year, every year since 1988, railways are astonishingly expensive. It makes cry.

There have a number of stuides on the wider economic benefits of the euro tunnel, none of which i can find :s They conclude, as you do, that the wider benifts out-way the ammediate costs.

Archived