Auto Parking Cars

tamias6

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to perallel parking, its a pain. But Lexus has introduced a new feature in its 2007 LS 460 that enables the vehicle to perallel park itself. Other luxury carmakers may follow suit.

If you had the money to afford a luxery car would you jump at this auto-parking feature?

One of the car magazines over in Ann Arbor tested the feature and put a video of it up on the web. The feature was pretty much useless in their test.

Personally, the only features I want in a car are remote locks, air conditioning, and a CD/MP3 player. Beyond that it's just adding extra weight and hurting performance.

-nb

I wonder too how much of parking that the mass public does is parallel parking? If you live in a heavily urbanized area, you probably don't drive as much (or don't need help parallel parking because you do it all the time). If you live in the suburban areas, you hardly ever have to parallel park.

It's a waste.

Last time I parrall parked was 10 years ago in San Fran. I never have to do it here in town. And yes Gentex is working on a rear view mirror that has a screen in it that is connected to a camera in the back of your car. When you throw it in reverse the little screen pops up so you can see your behind. Now that I could use.

I think it's pretty cool but at the same time it's nothing that the everyday automotive driver is going to drool over, sell their car, and go in bankruptcy getting this new one because it can park itself.

I like parallel parking my own car, because I'm so good at it....that and my friends freak out because I always whip into parking spots at meijer real fast...I just say I have a niche for parking ;)

I also agree though with the fact that all this nice added junk could have a performance issue...but who knows?

"intelligent' toilets and sinks have very little to do with laziness. When the new high school was being built in my hometown, I remember a bunch of people complaining about the school getting the sensor toilets and urinals. The whole point for them going that route is because student's can't plug the drains and flood the bathrooms. It also reduces people having to touch the unsanitary handles to flush (I think this is more of a mind thing)

"intelligent' toilets and sinks have very little to do with laziness. When the new high school was being built in my hometown, I remember a bunch of people complaining about the school getting the sensor toilets and urinals. The whole point for them going that route is because student's can't plug the drains and flood the bathrooms. It also reduces people having to touch the unsanitary handles to flush (I think this is more of a mind thing)

"Self-parking cars"? How about leaving that "car" parked at home - and riding mass transit instead? And... What if the auto-makers spent less time trying to engineer self-parking and simply delivered the 40mpg SUVs they keep telling us they could make? THAT is something I'd pay extra for.

40mpg SUV's? Ha. Big Oil Companies won't let that happen.

"Self-parking cars"? How about leaving that "car" parked at home - and riding mass transit instead? And... What if the auto-makers spent less time trying to engineer self-parking and simply delivered the 40mpg SUVs they keep telling us they could make? THAT is something I'd pay extra for.

Archived