Entertainment and Music in NWA

bobhazor

A music festival would be great, but I think it's going to be hard getting a big, class act to come to town and support it. I've been to many of the concerts that have come to town and it seems the turnout is always really low...unprofitably low. This has a way of getting around.

Take the amp for instance--they've had some bigger names come through including some top 40 acts, but the turnout was pretty low in all cases and I doubt they're in the black just yet. That's probably why they're moving. They think that will make the difference.

I don't think the people of NWA are ready to support a large music festival--not until there's more support for the local music scene and more support for those larger acts who happen to make their way through town.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if they could try to repeat the success of BBB. Obviously what makes that festival such a huge event is that it draws so many people into the area. Although trying to replicate that success with another festival will certainly be easier said than done. But sometimes things just take off. Nobody thought BBB would take off the way it has.

Exactly...

Who saw BBB coming? I certainly didn't. But look at the impact of it. NWA is now known as a more biker-friendly place. Somebody opened a Harley dealership somewhere. There's that custom motorcycle shop in Fayetteville (Hog city choppers?)

Like Mith says, it's not the town that gets excited for BBB. Locals, I think, have a love/hate relationship with it (as any town does with any festival).

If somebody put together a small festival and it grew just a little each year, I think the impact would be a stronger music scene. All you have to have is a few bands here and there that people have heard of. For the rest, you find good talented unknown bands that will come.

Somebody works out a deal with any place that has drinks and enough room for a band to play. Book a few bands that people might have heard of. Book a lot more bands that people will be glad they saw for the first time. Sell passes to see any band, anywhere, any night of the festival (Lots of promotion needed for the first year). Get sponsorships from local businesses (If they'll sponsor noisy bikes, they'll sponsor anything). Pay the bands, pay the venues (not much though, they'll get an increase in sales (although maybe the first year you'd need to), keep the rest?

But, I don't know, I'm just typing. Hopefully somebody will just pick up and do it :) I think May would be a good month, perhaps when students are mostly done with their finals, but have not gone home yet. Hmm, of course there is Memphis in May, don't want to compete with that... I don't know exactly when it could be.

Ask and ye shall receive........

According to the Demo-zette (12/24/06) plans are in the works for a Dickson Street Music Festival in September. Dan Allen (GMS Group who helped build BB&BBQ) along with Brian Crowne are in the process of filing for nonprofit status and lining up media and coporate sponsors for the event. Proceeds would benefit EOA Children's House. Initial plans call for a stage on the WAC Parking lot, as well as performances scheduled at George's, Jose's and the Gypsy. "The concept is a lot like Memphis in May, but not on the same scale that organizers are able to produce on Mud Island."

I like the sound of this. With the proper organization and support I could see the Dickson Street Music Festival becoming a major event. I'm not the biggest fan of the September timing for the event, however. Seems there is too much going on in Fayetteville that time of year (the event would be sandwiched between the Fine Arts Festival, BB&BBQ and Razorback home games). I hope it takes off though. Dickson Street needs to recapture it's identity as the place for live music in the region and I believe this event would be a great start.

Ask and ye shall receive........

According to the Demo-zette (12/24/06) plans are in the works for a Dickson Street Music Festival in September. Dan Allen (GMS Group who helped build BB&BBQ) along with Brian Crowne are in the process of filing for nonprofit status and lining up media and coporate sponsors for the event. Proceeds would benefit EOA Children's House. Initial plans call for a stage on the WAC Parking lot, as well as performances scheduled at George's, Jose's and the Gypsy. "The concept is a lot like Memphis in May, but not on the same scale that organizers are able to produce on Mud Island."

I like the sound of this. With the proper organization and support I could see the Dickson Street Music Festival becoming a major event. I'm not the biggest fan of the September timing for the event, however. Seems there is too much going on in Fayetteville that time of year (the event would be sandwiched between the Fine Arts Festival, BB&BBQ and Razorback home games). I hope it takes off though. Dickson Street needs to recapture it's identity as the place for live music in the region and I believe this event would be a great start.

Cool, that's great to hear, although I have to agree with you. That might not be the best time of the year for it. But hey it's still a nice start. Hopefully we can get this going and make it into a larger event. Although not everyone might want it to take off and become another BBB type event.

A music festival would be wonderful, but I don't see it happening. I love going to concerts but I usually go to Kansas City, Springfield, or Little Rock for them. Up until October I hadn't been to a concert in Fayetteville in years. George's has brought in some great country acts in the last few months. Eric Church in October was great even though it got NO radio backing and there were only about 100 people there. Pat Green was a show I was looking forward to but had to skip because I was sick. Cross Canadian Ragweed and the Eli Young Band in early December was GREAT. It sold out! John Mayer will be playing at Barnhill Feb 1. I've travelled all over to see him. Glad that he is coming to my town now! I'll also be seeing Jack Ingram and the Eli Young Band at George's in February. Hopefully George's can keep it up. These aren't huge acts, but they are definitely better quality than most big acts out these days.

Rogers and Bentonville may not have as many live music venues as Fayetteville, but there are some pretty good venues up here as well.

The Bayou of Rogers (Benton County's only Blues Club): Featuring live blues artists every weekend. Popular blues artist Michael Burks plays on Jan 27.

The Wazoo of Bentonville (Benton County's only Metal Club): Features live metal bands.

The Ice House of Bentonville: Features live music and concerts. Bret Michaels (onetime frontman for the metal band Poison) played on Dec 11, 2006. Ultra Suede, an award winning dance band, played the Halloween Show. L.A. Guns played on Oct 6, 2006.

When the Sports and Entertainment Arena is built in Rogers it will host concert tours by nationally recognized artists. I still think Fayetteville will remain the best place for local bands to play though.

Rogers and Bentonville may not have as many live music venues as Fayetteville, but there are some pretty good venues up here as well.

The Bayou of Rogers (Benton County's only Blues Club): Featuring live blues artists every weekend. Popular blues artist Michael Burks plays on Jan 27.

The Wazoo of Bentonville (Benton County's only Metal Club): Features live metal bands.

The Ice House of Bentonville: Features live music and concerts. Bret Michaels (onetime frontman for the metal band Poison) played on Dec 11, 2006. Ultra Suede, an award winning dance band, played the Halloween Show. L.A. Guns played on Oct 6, 2006.

When the Sports and Entertainment Arena is built in Rogers it will host concert tours by nationally recognized artists. I still think Fayetteville will remain the best place for local bands to play though.

A succesfull music festival is a long way away for NWA or Fayetteville. For staters the clubs and venues on Dickson and elsewhere in NWA need to start charging a cover fee to actually get some good local and regional bands to play. This is the only way a thriving music venue, as well as any band out there, can survive. If you pay they will come. Sure, there are some good bands and what not that play every now and again, but if NWA wants any kind of thriving music scene a cover charge is a must! Then after a couple years of stable musical growth, NWA could possibly handle a music festival.

A succesfull music festival is a long way away for NWA or Fayetteville. For staters the clubs and venues on Dickson and elsewhere in NWA need to start charging a cover fee to actually get some good local and regional bands to play. This is the only way a thriving music venue, as well as any band out there, can survive. If you pay they will come. Sure, there are some good bands and what not that play every now and again, but if NWA wants any kind of thriving music scene a cover charge is a must! Then after a couple years of stable musical growth, NWA could possibly handle a music festival.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted or anybody has posted on this topic, but it seems like the music lovers of Northwest Arkansas are feeling better these days. We recently had

The Roots at Barnhill, Victor Wooten, G Love and Special Sauce at George's. I showed up at a couple of these and I'm asking if NWA can continue to bring in world class acts like these (even though they might not be top 40 acts). It seems the response could have been a little better.

It's been a while since I've posted or anybody has posted on this topic, but it seems like the music lovers of Northwest Arkansas are feeling better these days. We recently had

The Roots at Barnhill, Victor Wooten, G Love and Special Sauce at George's. I showed up at a couple of these and I'm asking if NWA can continue to bring in world class acts like these (even though they might not be top 40 acts). It seems the response could have been a little better.

I think more of these acts would get a better response if they played at a large centrally located convention center and had better advertising. I've actually never heard of any of those bands, but if they're not the leatest greatest pop or hip-hop artist's I wouldn't know.

Music has been pretty good in NWA this year, especially on a large scale. Between things like the X-Fest recently, with Saliva, Three Days Grace, Buck Cherry, and I believe someone else, and The Roots there have been some good concerts this month. I've also heard there have been some nice small scale bands around too, but I haven't had the opportunity to hear some of them.

Music has been pretty good in NWA this year, especially on a large scale. Between things like the X-Fest recently, with Saliva, Three Days Grace, Buck Cherry, and I believe someone else, and The Roots there have been some good concerts this month. I've also heard there have been some nice small scale bands around too, but I haven't had the opportunity to hear some of them.

NWA has a great music scene for the size market it is. Having the UA has been a big help. We'll rarely get top level acts becuase there are larger metros with established venues in relatively short driving distance. It's hard to compete with Alltel in LR, Ford Ctr in OKC, Kemper in KC, etc.

It would help if NWA had a large multipurpose arena like was proposed in Rogers. I think you need the abilty to fill several thousand seats consistently in order to be successful and the population here just hasn't reached that point yet.

I was just talking about Bud Walton the other night. I went to the Dierks Bentley show at the Tyson Track Center. It's a great venue for track, but for concerts it's absolutely horrible. It's a shame they have to use it when they have Bud Walton. I've seen the show 2 other times on this tour and it was handled much better.

Archived