The Village at Riverwatch

PJA

I found a website with some updated information about the lifestyle center. First the bad news: The opening will be in March 2008. It originally was scheduled to be opened in around fall of next year.

The good news is that renderings of the layout of the center are bigger than what was planned. On an area next to Dillards there will be two hotel buildings and more retail space than was planned. That extra retail space also has a few tenants named and they are Cost Plus World Market, Linens and Things, Dick's Sporting Goods and Ross Dress for Less. There will also be six upscale restaurants and a bank. Here's the official website http://www.villageriverwatch.com/. The updated layout is under aerial.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found a website with some updated information about the lifestyle center. First the bad news: The opening will be in March 2008. It originally was scheduled to be opened in around fall of next year.

The good news is that renderings of the layout of the center are bigger than what was planned. On an area next to Dillards there will be two hotel buildings and more retail space than was planned. That extra retail space also has a few tenants named and they are Cost Plus World Market, Linens and Things, Dick's Sporting Goods and Ross Dress for Less. There will also be six upscale restaurants and a bank. Here's the official website http://www.villageriverwatch.com/. The updated layout is under aerial.

How close will the parking actually be to the canal? Perhaps some type of residential portion could be added along the canal front someday. A parking lot can easily be bulldozed. I like the layout though.

PJA, where do you see about the 2 hotel buildings? I checked the aerial and didnt see anything.

How close will the parking actually be to the canal? Perhaps some type of residential portion could be added along the canal front someday. A parking lot can easily be bulldozed. I like the layout though.

PJA, where do you see about the 2 hotel buildings? I checked the aerial and didnt see anything.

Personally, I think the fact that you can see the development from the canal sucks. I want the canal around downtown to be developed, but not up there around I-20. They were supposed to leave a buffer between the development and the canal--to me it doesn't really look like much of a buffer.

I think it's going to look nice once it's finished. I always thought it was a nice idea to tie the canal in with the center. It's not like it's going to be some big box center like Augusta Exhange or Mullins Crossing. I would like to see more development downtown along the canal though and it seems that is going to happen.

It is my belief that the Village at Riverwatch could actually help downtown. If they capitalize on the canal and make it a major attraction it could definitely work. They could have information about the canal and other attractions all on along it at the shopping center. Also they could offer boat rides on the canal to downtown from the hotels so that the visitors can have a chance to walk around down there and visit. There is all kinds of potential. This is like the closest major shopping area to downtown and hopefully the city will capitalize on that.

Well, I'm not sure if it would hurt downtown so much from an entertainment standpoint, because from looking at these plans, I see no placement for some sort of entertainment venue or stage. Atlantic Station and Mall of GA, both have entertainment stages set up, like at the Amplitheatre on Riverwalk. It seems like just the movie theatre, children's playground, and the canal access are the only points of interest other than shopping and eating here.

On another note, I'm glad to see they are considering phase 2, and the types of stores; most of these will be Augusta's first. After a while, who would really need to leave.

FYI. This is what I found off JPRA's website. The Architects of the Villages @ Riverwatch. They really have designed some beautiful shopping centers. I invite you to browse through their portfolios. Based on what I've seen, this center could really stand out from anything else in Augusta. These pics are fromt he Village @ Rodchester Hills

4_1.jpg

4_2.jpg

architecture_villageofrochesterhills_6.jpg

^I hope Im wrong. I really want the sucess of the Village to to spill over on Downtown. BUT they need to match the retail with exclusive retailers like say...Gucci, the Village wont have that. Downtown should want to bring in heavy-spenders not people who going to just walk around sight see. Open stores that people will only see downtown and want to stop and shop. Look at First Friday, they need venders for people to shop downtown. I hope Im wrong about this.

Filling Downtown with unique stores that you wont find at the lifestyle centers and malls is a good idea, but I doubt Gucci or any very high end store like that would even consider DT Augusta. Perhaps interesting stores like a Map store or General Mast Store or places like that would fit in better. Places that tourists and locals alike would visit.

I was walking along the hiking trail along the canal this weekend starting at the Savanah river rapids pavillion. They have done a lot of improvements there in the last few months. They have a new pedestrian bridge, and will be setting up picnic tables by the waterfalls.

It occured to me that what would be a great feature for the village at Riverwatch would be to have a pedestrian bridge connecting the village to the bike/hiking trails on the other side. Perhaps similar in style to whats at the Savanah river rapids pavillion center.

I had this vision of riding my bike along the trail in the spring, and having a coffee @ starbuck's.

Might also be cool to have a dock for Kayaks/canoes, or the boat company (I think its called the Pederson boat company) offering water taxi service.

• 3 weeks later...
Filling Downtown with unique stores that you wont find at the lifestyle centers and malls is a good idea, but I doubt Gucci or any very high end store like that would even consider DT Augusta. Perhaps interesting stores like a Map store or General Mast Store or places like that would fit in better. Places that tourists and locals alike would visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived