City Hall

MadVlad

Why is City Hall still where it is? Here's what should happen with City Hall:

The Current City Hall bdg (500 Main?) should be given to the Wadsworth, it is an awesome architectural specimen and deserves to house world class art. It is much too small and cramped for what it is currently being utilized for. A new City Tower should be built in one of the lots downtown. This has been bandied about in the past, and it's a great idea. They could easily move all the city offices, the Police HQ, the Fire HQ, etc into one tower in that area. I'm thinking a nicely designed 15 story building would be appropriate for that. It would also show that the city is serious about a) enhancing the area north of downtown/I-84, making it safe by locating the Police HQ there, and b) being in tune with the needs of one of it's premiere city attractions, that being the Wadsworth. When finished, the Wadsworth would have 4 full buildings (including the current 2 which are attached) and would absolutely be a world class museum. There already is some synergy between the two, they share the courtyard between, even having the large orange stegosaurus artpiece still there.

Discuss.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is City Hall still where it is? Here's what should happen with City Hall:

The Current City Hall bdg (500 Main?) should be given to the Wadsworth, it is an awesome architectural specimen and deserves to house world class art. It is much too small and cramped for what it is currently being utilized for. A new City Tower should be built in one of the lots downtown. This has been bandied about in the past, and it's a great idea. They could easily move all the city offices, the Police HQ, the Fire HQ, etc into one tower in that area. I'm thinking a nicely designed 15 story building would be appropriate for that. It would also show that the city is serious about a) enhancing the area north of downtown/I-84, making it safe by locating the Police HQ there, and b) being in tune with the needs of one of it's premiere city attractions, that being the Wadsworth. When finished, the Wadsworth would have 4 full buildings (including the current 2 which are attached) and would absolutely be a world class museum. There already is some synergy between the two, they share the courtyard between, even having the large orange stegosaurus artpiece still there.

Discuss.

Great idea to waste money on such a useless endevor... Most of the city is being controlled by the state anyway, so it's not like City Hall needs more space. Face it, population and competency are way down, there is absolutely no need for a new City Hall.

Great idea to waste money on such a useless endevor... Most of the city is being controlled by the state anyway, so it's not like City Hall needs more space. Face it, population and competency are way down, there is absolutely no need for a new City Hall.

There is some truth to that. Hartford is not so huge that it needs a gigantic City Hall. The money may very well be spent elsewhere. Although, ideally for me Hartford would be a growing city that needed more space for City Hall due to population growth alone.

Surprisingly Mike, you are wrong again. It's been said for years that there just is not enough room for everyone in the current city hall building. So, instead of them leasing space elsewhere like they do, they could consolidate in a new building, and reap all the rewards that I've already listed. The only waste involved is my time reading your nonsense....

Missing from your argument is the fact that the Wadsworth, even when expanded across the street to Front Street, still won't have enough room for their art exhibits. There are better uses for space. For some reason you don't want change, unless it's a 2 story waste of space. Meanwhile, most of the space we have is being wasted. If the space we had was used correctly, which it's not, then everything would work out better. So, make up your mind, should they use the space better or not? You keep crying about how Hartford all messed up, but then suggestions come along that are valid and you take a sh1t on those too. These ideas are no-brainers, I would have thought you could relate to that easily....

The Wadsworth themselves have said they want it. They've said it for years. It's also widely known that they need more space. If given to the Wadsworth, it wouldn't be abandoned. Why is that even a concern, has the Wadsworth gone crazy and abandoned half the buildings in the city or something? You're starting to pull arguments out of your ass now...

At one time, the idea was that the library and City Hall would swap sites. The Library would have been moved across the street. City Hall would have temporarily occupied space in other buildings while a new mid to highrise was being constructed at the library site (next to the Federal Building).

I am very happy with this project and never liked the Atheneum's prior vacuum-cleaner-spaceship design makeover for their main building. I'm now waiting for the day the city donates City Hall to the Atheneum and builds a new much larger modern facility downtown. The Atheneum severely needs more space. Most of their art is in storage or on loan! What you see in the museum is only a small portion of their permanent collection. They could house their entire Modern Art or American Art collections in City Hall and open an entirely new but very important museum.

Ok so...

I have been to city hall on numerous occasions. City Hall itself is a wonderful building but in my opinion there are parts that need to be updated/renovated. City Hall though is a historic gem and its awesome that such a great historic city can have such a nice and historic city hall.

With that in mind, I would not be opposed to a new city hall being built, the only downside would be the fact that City Hall would not be in an amazing historic building.

We also must keep in mind even if the Wadsworth receives this building they must also have the means to do what they want with it..meaning they have had budget problems and it would need to be positivie that the Wadsworth was ready for more expansion..

And some pictures...

CityHall2-1.jpg

CityHall.jpg

Ok so...

I have been to city hall on numerous occasions. City Hall itself is a wonderful building but in my opinion there are parts that need to be updated/renovated. City Hall though is a historic gem and its awesome that such a great historic city can have such a nice and historic city hall.

With that in mind, I would not be opposed to a new city hall being built, the only downside would be the fact that City Hall would not be in an amazing historic building.

We also must keep in mind even if the Wadsworth receives this building they must also have the means to do what they want with it..meaning they have had budget problems and it would need to be positivie that the Wadsworth was ready for more expansion..

I think a city hall can say a lot about a city and what are we saying if we build another drab new building for our city hall...in a city that has already lost so many buildings.

Also numerous cities around us have wonderful city halls (many of which are old) including Providence, New Haven, New York City, Norwich (CT), and Philadelphia

• 2 weeks later...
You can move City Hall to the huge abandoned brick victorian office building on Ann St. previously used by the Board of Education. You can then build annex offices on the sea of surface lots surrounding it. There is plenty of room to develop a "Civic Center" for Hartford.

210001.jpg

Archived