Florida in the Year 2060

poonther

Check out this study:

Florida's Growth

It's a PDF file.

Your thoughts?

Does this FL in 2060 excite you or depress you?

You do have to consider the source is 1000 Friends of FL which is an environmental group. Nothing wrong w/that, just saying all studies can be a slanted towards a group's point so take some of it w/a grain of salt.

Great density maps.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny you should mention St. Joe, they were one of the sponsors of this study. I wonder if they wanted their areas to look much less dense to help them market their real estate as a "breath of fresh air and in a rural setting" in opposition to the rest of state being jam packed w/people. You know so they can say: Come get away from the over-crowding in our developments. Because living up here in N FL, you and I know DD5, St. Joe is planning a bunch of developments up this way and I too was surprised that their areas looked a little less dense than what I expected.

Who knows if this is true, but I'm always suspicious about stuff like that. :)

And jpl02 that line you pasted surprised the heck outta me too. Dade will not be full, but they are saying Orange and Duval will be?? :huh:

I'd take this with a dump truck load of salt. I don't know anything on the subject but in 53 years the coast line itself may be completely different due to global warming, or cooling, whatever the case by then. Also if Tallahassee continues this pace of growth (not saying it will), IMO it's imprint on the second map would be larger especially if I-185 does become a reality. Also, though I have no proof nor any decent knowledge on the area, but it seems to me like Panama City will also grow larger than the second map indicates. Not the sole reason for my reasoning, but the new interntional airport has the potential to have a huge impact on Bay county.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If we could just learn to control our population, we wouldn't need all this development. keep in mind that the 2060 map shows developed land, I don't think it was meant to show the amount of people that will be living in Florida in 2060. It's supposed to show commercial development.

I'm sure there won't be a single parcel of land left to put a house on by that time.

Archived