Amusement Park Proposed for Libertyland site

Rardy

from the CA

They plan to open by May, 2007 and have signed a letter of intent with the city. I wonder what they have in mind!?

Robert Barnard and Joyland Amusement Park Inc. plan to open the park by May 31, 2007, and put $5 million into the property during a proposed 36-month lease, which would include an option to purchase the land.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is hilarious! I mean joyland..who names their park joyland? :rofl: Man we know how to pick em, don't we? Out of all the companys that have tried to save Liberty Land we start talking to this one. And with the mayor's "open mind" he will probably change the park name to "Willie Land".

I don't think we picked them. They picked us. It's not like 6 Flags, Disney and Joyland submitted proposals and we selected Joyland. This isn't an indictment on our judgment . . . yet. It's a credit to the possibility and potential that the site provides. And it's great that we're open to ideas. As of right now, this just a theoretical project. Hopefully, due diligence will conclude with a viable, profitable, exciting result.

But, yeah, Joyland is almost as bad as Dunkyland.

C'mon Psalm...it's 3 Flags over Orange Mound! The other three were stolen...

Seriously though, the idea of an amusement park in Midtown needs to go away. Remove the Coliseum, move the fair to Shelby Farms, fix the Liberty Bowl, and convert the remaining land something along the line of residential, retail, educational...anything but an amusement park. There's a lot of room between Early Maxwell and East Parkway, so why not develop residential with a retail buffer for the stadium on the Early Maxwell (east) side? There's also plenty of room on the north side to redevelop and expand Fairview JH. This would be a good complement for Cooper-Young and surrounding neighborhoods.

I know some of you are probably against this........but I think the Coliseum should be renovated. It used to be a really nice building, and I think with a couple of upgrades it could be nice again. There are many buildings in Memphis that were built before 1964 and we still keep them around. Besides once the Pyramid goes (who knows when) what would be the back up stadium.

I agree with jmduke, the entire fairgrounds area needs to be torn down. Get rid of the Liberty Bowl, the Coliseum and Libertyland. It's time to throw away some of these unnecessary items instead of the city being a pack rat, these relics need to be razed!

I agree with jmduke, the entire fairgrounds area needs to be torn down. Get rid of the Liberty Bowl, the Coliseum and Libertyland. It's time to throw away some of these unnecessary items instead of the city being a pack rat, these relics need to be razed!

I know some of you are probably against this........but I think the Coliseum should be renovated. It used to be a really nice building, and I think with a couple of upgrades it could be nice again. There are many buildings in Memphis that were built before 1964 and we still keep them around. Besides once the Pyramid goes (who knows when) what would be the back up stadium.

Goodness, I wasn't suggesting we clear out all the old relics, but the reality is some old buildings have enough value to be renovated while others may not. I think the Liberty Bowl is still a fine stadium and can be even better with some renovation (better seats, better markings, upgraded concessions and restrooms, etc). The Coliseum was a fine place for basketball and hockey, but having an 11,000 seat secondary arena in a small market just doesn't make financial sense if it's rarely used. If the RiverKings and Xplorers used the Coliseum 40-50 nights a year, I'd probably have a different take, but the upkeep on a facility that large which is rarely used isn't practical. The DeSoto Center is a fine venue for smaller concerts which come to the area.

As for the Mid South Fair, it's a two-week event, so it wouldn't totally ruin Shelby Farms for the other 50 weeks of the year. If all else fails, the fair could be moved to the USA Stadium facility in Millington which ably hosts the International Goat Days Festival (an interesting sight to behold if you've never been... :P ). Easy access by car and lots of room for the various venues.

Hey, I want to see our older buildings such as 100 N Main, Sears Crosstown, and especially Sterick renovated as much as the rest of you, but those are some high-$$$ projects and the right developer will only take on those projects at the right time. Unless the economy here spikes upward for a sustained period and condo, hotel, and Class A office space end up in very short supply, those three projects are very long-run issues.

Archived