Gwinett to join MARTA?

ryanmckibben

Will Gwinett get on board MARTA - AJC

Most of the comments to this stury on the AJC seem to be positive. MARTA type rail (heavy rail) costs approximately $100-150 million a mile. I just don't know if spending close to a billion $$$ would have the effect we would be hopeing for. Mass transit in the suburbs where a majority of the travel is suburb to suburb just doesn't work. I think we would be better of using that money to rebuild the cities streetcar lines, then in a couple of years once that is completed, we could look at converting the express buses that now run from both Gwinett and Cobb into commuter rail.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can only hope that Gwinnett will see the benefits of going with instead of going against MARTA. As I have said in the thread regarding Roswell, I think MARTA would be wiser to shift to a commuter rail situation in the outer counties and focus on greater mass transit inside the perimeter and at larger nodes like Perimter Center and Cumberland/Galleria District.

Heavy rail can encourage more densities along the lines... you are seeing this all over the place on the existing MARTA lines. The best line addition IMO is one to Marrietta. That would be a better solution than the 23 lanes idea. There is probably enough volume to support it too.....

I'm gladd to see Gwinnett at least considering the idea. I'd love to see MARTA become more like DC's metro some day.

My oh my, how gridlock can change the mind. I remember when finding a parking space at one of Dekalb's border stations was difficult because of all the Gwinnettians taking our parking spaces.

Maybe there's hope for Metro Atl after all. Next up, Cobb.

Don't get too excited. This is just a study being half paid for by a business improvement district. It's a good first step and certainly something that wouldn't have been possible in the past, but we're still a very very long way from having MARTA service in Gwinnett. I think it is much more likely that you'll see a new regional transit authority that absorbs the various county authorities and MARTA instead of an actual MARTA expansion.

Don't get too excited. This is just a study being half paid for by a business improvement district. It's a good first step and certainly something that wouldn't have been possible in the past, but we're still a very very long way from having MARTA service in Gwinnett. I think it is much more likely that you'll see a new regional transit authority that absorbs the various county authorities and MARTA instead of an actual MARTA expansion.

• 8 months later...
We can only hope that Gwinnett will see the benefits of going with instead of going against MARTA. As I have said in the thread regarding Roswell, I think MARTA would be wiser to shift to a commuter rail situation in the outer counties and focus on greater mass transit inside the perimeter and at larger nodes like Perimter Center and Cumberland/Galleria District.

Archived