Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This new rendering is clearly more attractive than the previous image! It isn't anything to write home about stylistically, but the green aspects of the building certainly make the building a real winner.

But in my humble opinion the condo tower is another story:) What a wonderful design, with complex angles and an interesting "top".....might it end up being even more popular than the WB tower?

The only thing that concerns me---- at 42 stories, won't the condo tower be similar in height to Wachovia 3 and 200 Tryon? Too many nearby buildings at the same height doesn't look graceful to me.

I'm really digging the new angle of the Mint......

They did clean up the top of the office tower nicely. I'm still hoping for public space at the top of this one.

The new 1,050' tower proposed here in Boston, has the glass curtain extend above the roof on all sides, and a public greenspace on the roof. This design looks like it COULD have something similar, though I know how the banks are with security.

I just saw a report on News14 where they showed renderings not posted here as well as the 3D model. The top triangular roof is not symetrical. Meaning that one part of the roof line is higher than the other side.

Also the "handle" is still there and just as strong as ever. I think that the rendering posted by the Observer is such a low angle that you don't see the handle.

Watch you choice of local news at 10 to see the pics and model for yourself.

The unveiling happened up at the top of One Wachovia, hopefully they will move the model down to the Atrium later so the public can get a good look at it.

I personally am enamored with the design and am especially glad the handle is still prominently there to keep its uniqueness. Definitely a building Charlotte will be proud of for generations.

Now let's see if the typical "post announcement" stages of UP hold true - that is, instantaneous excitement and high praise, then noticing some small flaws, then picking the project apart.... then jumping off the bandwagon altogether :D

so let me get this straight...

buildings under construction/scheduled are:

-2 over 50 floors

-2 in the 40's

-3 in the 30's

-??? in the 20's

-and who knows how many low rise?

truly alot going on these days in the city. amazing to say the least.

I just saw the unveiling on Fox News and the top is totally level, and the handle is all there. What is everyone talking about "one side is higher than the other?" What am I not seeing? They showed some Wachovia guy dropping the curtain on a large model of both towers, it wasn't some 3D fly-through thing. Also, on the top of the condo tower, on the other side of the 'ring' at the top is a large fin/spire sticking up. You can't see it in that angle on CLT.com.

I just saw the unveiling on Fox News and the top is totally level, and the handle is all there. What is everyone talking about "one side is higher than the other?" What am I not seeing? They showed some Wachovia guy dropping the curtain on a large model of both towers, it wasn't some 3D fly-through thing. Also, on the top of the condo tower, on the other side of the 'ring' at the top is a large fin/spire sticking up. You can't see it in that angle on CLT.com.

The side of the condo tower they showed on TV looked a lot 'plainer' than the side that faces Tryon, but it was just a quick glimpse. I could be wrong. As far as the WB tower rendering in the O, the angle from the street makes one side look higher since the triangular slice at the top sits at a 45 degree angle from the street. It really was flat. Looked nice, I'm not complaining.

Archived