Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the handle will create some interesting lighting possibilities for the top of the office building, especially since it is such a neutral, "concrete" color. For instance, lights from directly underneath the handle could shine up onto the underside of the handle in one color, and a different color of lights could shine from behind the pointed corners of the "shorter" half of the building onto the sides of the handle. :wub:

Also, in my opinion, the Wachovia condo tower is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the condo tower designs that have been revealed to this point. The colors and basic design (not including the gorgeous circular crown) remind me of a recently completed pair of twin condo towers I saw in Chicago this summer, near the lake, right in between the Navy pier and millineum park. I have no idea what they're called, but they're about 35 stories each if i remember correctly. However, this one is a lot more interesting. I like the way the angles on the front side of the building (facing Tryon) are somewhat supplementary to the ones on the Mint Museum underneath it (although on a different axis).

There's something very Miami about this Wachovia Condo. I hope it's a sign for the future of Charlotte. Or at least the design of future towers anyway. Just like with the old "spy photos," I could take or leave the office tower because of the handle, but I'm in love with the condo tower. However, compared to the pic of the tower handle in Atlanta, I'll take this one any day.

I think the handle will create some interesting lighting possibilities for the top of the office building, especially since it is such a neutral, "concrete" color. For instance, lights from directly underneath the handle could shine up onto the underside of the handle in one color, and a different color of lights could shine from behind the pointed corners of the "shorter" half of the building onto the sides of the handle. :wub:

I was wondering when this was going to come out. I guess good things come to those who wait. However that is the motto here on UP...we need to see things happening right away. I agree that the green does put you in the mind of something in Miami perhaps. The condo tower IMO will have the most impact due to its near BOA stadium. One more thing I would like to bring up is now how about some retail. I mean some real retail announcements. Now would be a great time to take advantage of the momentum uptown and get in while its hot. An upscale retail corridor and some kind of moderate shopping destination would bring everything together and give Charlotte that last bit of legitimacy that she deserves.

Thanks for the layout Dubone, that really helps visualize how everything is going together.

I really like the contrast between the condo tower and the office tower. They could have easily used the same architectural theme for both, but they have went in two totally different directions and I think they are going to mesh really well together. I also really like what they have done to the handle and I love some of the ideas here about lighting it up. I'm sure they have something in mind because they are making a statement with this building and they are going to make sure that it is as recognizable as BofA at night.

Man, it is going to be amazing to look at Uptown in about 3 years. Go Charlotte :yahoo: !!

No problem. I know it was getting quite difficult to keep up with all the info spread around in that monster thread.

I don't love the angle that shows what appears to be a handle, which, of course, is not a handle. We really need to come up with a new nickname for that, since it is actually just the doors from the penthouse to their balcony (and maybe their really fun waterslide? ;) ).

I LOVE the angle which will end up being one of the most photographed angle. That is the angle coming up from the south. That will be the angle seen from the light rail, and from entering the city by Tryon and South Blvd.

I'm very happy about the greenish color and more happy about the green enviromentally friendly aspects. I can't wait for green roofs to start being standard. (I especially want the city to get this because most of their projects have flat roofs).

Lastly, I think the transparent glass will speak more that this is a early 21st century building more than anything else. A 70s tower this is not.

I still can't believe they didn't go with just 10 more floors in order to give this build a more elegent height. I really am not all about height, but with all the 45-55 story towers we've seen, this height to width ratio is getting a little common. Making it 55 stories would have put it more on par with BofA Corporate.

But enough on height. The incredibly high-value jobs going into this tower and the equally incredible residences in the tower, and equally incredible destination amenities in the museums make this project revolutionary for the city.

Not to throw cold water on this discussion, but I am quite disappointed to see what they are depicting at street level on these towers. It looks like more of the same old thing that has taken life off the streets in Charlotte, at the hands of the banks btw, for the past 35 years. When will they get a clue and figure out there is a lot of money to be made by using the ground floor of these places for a massive retail project?

I agree that the height to width ratio would have been better with an additinal 10 floors or so, and also about the ground floor street level aspect stated above. But perhaps that won't be a huge deal if the surrounding areas are predestrian oriented (the museums, law school, etc.). I do like the LEED features, have any of these become a part of the zoning/building requirements for tall buildings yet in CLT?

What is the newest estimated date of completion? (I got about 10 seconds into the video when she was about to say and the stream died..)

Archived