Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there is absolutely no street level retail on this entire block, then I'd condemn the street level design, I just don't think any of us can tell for sure. I'm speculating on what I see in plan view and elevation like everyone else, but haven't formed a concrete opinion one way or the other. You're taking a hard line that the retail portion of this project is a bust based on the model, I'm still trying to put all the pieces together and see what's really being built and how on the ground plain.

I'd like to see more interaction with the street on the S. Tryon and Stonewall sides. I've looked at the site plan and the renderings. We'll have another dead space on Stonewall with the O across the street facing the parking garage and tower. The tower front on Tryon is definitely monolithic and should be changed to include store fronts. The banks seem to think they need unfettered grand entrances.

Did anyone tell you not to get excited? I don't think so. It seems to me that you are unable to take any negative criticism of this project. If you think I am incorrect in what I have posted then tell me why I am wrong. But don't sit there and say. "Oh you can't say that just because it is a model". And talking about me in the third person isn't exactly kosher either. Stick to the topic and facts and stop trying to discredit someone just becuause you don't like what they have posted. :rolleyes:

Atleast 1/4 of the office tower's footprint, the entire length of Stonewall and Church, and part of 1st street are supposed to have retail. I'm not sure what else they could have done other than have more front Tryon street. I'm not sure I'd want to bring my high-profile clients into an entrance on Stonewall street that avoided views of the new art museums and the Green. I'm not sure those people who want a coffee or a piece of pizza would really mind.

A lot happens over lunch. The question isn't what the rest of the site or block entails, but the primary building itself. The "criticism" is of this, and it's monumental foreboding flat wall that doesn't interface with the street. A design feature that is clear via the model, which is the whole point of the model, to show us what words can

A lot happens over lunch. The question isn't what the rest of the site or block entails, but the primary building itself. The "criticism" is of this, and it's monumental foreboding flat wall that doesn't interface with the street. A design feature that is clear via the model, which is the whole point of the model, to show us what words can

Today I don't think you will see a lot of retail in the base of a office tower because of security. Retail open to the out side with no security checks will not fly much today.

You can fins retail around a tower but not in it. In New York that is not the case for all older high rises.

We are in a did world today. What work 30 years ago might not fly today.

Hell yes I would put it there.

If they would locate there I think it would be fantastic for the city. Certainly much better than that empty lobby of expensive granite and elevators. If there was actually an announcement like this every forumer on here would be cheering that retail had finally decided to come to downtown.

:good: Atlvr includes some great images from Boston that speak to a more subdued version of the images you've posted Metro. I agree though, that the base of the building doesn't exactly incite a lot of pedestrian energy.

Overall, I think this complex is a GREAT addition to the city but I'm disappointed that 1.) Wachovia chose a firm from outside Charlotte - which is loaded with talent - to design its towers and 2.) that there's not more emphasis on interaction with the pedestrian at the base of the main tower.

Absolutely right. I can't imagine how retailers are going to continue to ignore Charlotte's center city for much longer. The place is screaming for retailers. Heck, if I had the resources I'd be trying to get my hands on the land bounded by N. Pine, N. Poplar, 5th and Trade. Halfway between the future commuter rail center and the main light rail station - easily within walking distance from offices and residences...I can see a Saks, Bloomingdales, Barnes or Borders, H & M, etc...populating that location...

My guess is that Uptown's next big growth "spurt" is gonna have to be retail. There appears to be no way to avoid it...

I think it is another case of a set of architects looking to make a another bold statement to the city's skyline and forgetting what goes on at the street. All of South College is dead due to First Union's aka Wachovia designs and it looks as if they wish to continue this tradition over to the rest of the south end of the city.

We don't really have the off-hours population density for this stuff right now, I'm afraid. Maybe ten years from now. And, as far as those photos of Tokyo go. We'll never, in our lifetimes, be there. We just have too much land and not enough population pressure. The first human impulse is to get as much space for oneself as conveniently and economically possible.

We don't really have the off-hours population density for this stuff right now, I'm afraid. Maybe ten years from now. And, as far as those photos of Tokyo go. We'll never, in our lifetimes, be there. We just have too much land and not enough population pressure. The first human impulse is to get as much space for oneself as conveniently and economically possible.

Archived