61 Commerce

GRDadof3

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

Split off from 35 Oakes discussion. Hopefully this comes to fruition. The developer from Lansing also renovated a building on Grandville into Grand Woods Lounge. He hopes to turn this mostly abandoned building into apartments, ground-floor restaurant and a rooftop bar.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should there be any parking requirements in core downtown buildings? Sure, it might be a nice amenity, but if it's not provided there are options for residents still, including public transit. We need to get our ratio of parking structure to useful building down!

-nb

Why should there be any parking requirements in core downtown buildings? Sure, it might be a nice amenity, but if it's not provided there are options for residents still, including public transit. We need to get our ratio of parking structure to useful building down!

-nb

Is it really a requirement? Or are there ways around it? I know when I was looking at buying a Condo in the Select Bank building on Monroe Center and Ionia there was not "any" parking that came with the Condos. I was told that an arrangement was made with the City that if I chose to, that I would always have a parking spot available from any of the City owned Parking garages. The spots were not free either, you had to pay the monthly fee just like anyone else. So my question is, can something like this work out for either of these buildings in question?

worth saving if you ask me:

I take it you didn't look in the windows at the black mold growing up the walls. And you've never been in the suite that butts up against Maxies that smells toxic. I won't get into the health issues and other problems with this building. IMO, it's really not worth saving.

Wait a minute. Are they really going to tear down that building (where Maxie's was) and build a parking ramp? Where's the outrage?

I think that was a jab at rockford, there's plenty of parking in that area.

Trust me, I have to park there every friday and saturday night.. at 9pm, after the arena events have started, and I always find a spot within 2 blocks of McFaddens.

I take it you didn't look in the windows at the black mold growing up the walls. And you've never been in the suite that butts up against Maxies that smells toxic. I won't get into the health issues and other problems with this building. IMO, it's really not worth saving.

I've seen buildings in worse condition get rahabbed. It probably would need to be gutted anyway, even if it didn't have mold problems.

I've seen buildings in worse condition get rahabbed. It probably would need to be gutted anyway, even if it didn't have mold problems.

I would tend to agree. The facade/shell is at least worth saving IMO.

I think that was a jab at rockford, there's plenty of parking in that area.

Trust me, I have to park there every friday and saturday night.. at 9pm, after the arena events have started, and I always find a spot within 2 blocks of McFaddens.

There's enough parking for now. In 5 years though if even half of the things happen that are in talks there won't be.

Granted, it is always nice to keep heritage going in an area like Heartside, but being that Maxie's is only one story, and the building next to it is what, two stories? wouldn't it be much more attractive to developers to have a larger / taller building put in that spot? It is a great location, being only blocks from the arena, Ionia, Monroe Center, etc...

I'll be at 61 commerce. I have no idea what the plan is, i was just told i would be there tuesday through friday doing demo and cleanup and that it would be VERY dirty. Sorry i don't know more, nobody tells me anything beyond what im susposed to be doing at the time. Perhaps, ill do some asking around next week.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Last night the HPC approved extensive renovations for the building at 61 Commerce.

New storefront, new wood windows on all four sides, including many new window openings on the north and south sides. There will also be a new stair tower and elevator tower so that the building can be used for offices. The tenant is a company that is moving to the city from the suburbs and is very excited to be doing so.

There is currently very little options for parking, but they want to be in the city so much, that this is a secondary concern that they will address later.

Archived