61 Commerce

GRDadof3

The demo work on this project probably would have been done 3 weeks ago if the workers wouldn't be taking a break every single time i look out the window. Maybe i need to find a union - 18 breaks a day would be ok.

And i hate that elevator addition. And the fact that they're not putting anything in the ground floor.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The demo work on this project probably would have been done 3 weeks ago if the workers wouldn't be taking a break every single time i look out the window. Maybe i need to find a union - 18 breaks a day would be ok.

And i hate that elevator addition. And the fact that they're not putting anything in the ground floor.

I just looked at that elevator/stairway addition again and it is even worse than I remember. Those tiny windows are so completely out of scale with the rest of the building - awful. It's just a layman's point of view, but I think that even if they threw every code and regulation on the books at them, they still could have come up with a MUCH more attractive design.

I agree. If nothing else they should try to match the windows to the rest of the building and match the top. Then it would look fine (necessary evils).

Joe

I just looked at that elevator/stairway addition again and it is even worse than I remember. Those tiny windows are so completely out of scale with the rest of the building - awful. It's just a layman's point of view, but I think that even if they threw every code and regulation on the books at them, they still could have come up with a MUCH more attractive design.

• 2 months later...

It appears as though it will look exactly like the drawing posted here back in August and that's a shame. With all of the money they are putting into the rehab, I still can't believe they couldn't come up with a more harmonious design for that addition. I'm repeating myself but those new windows are totally out of character with the rest of the building. (Love the light brick on the south side though.)

It appears as though it will look exactly like the drawing posted here back in August and that's a shame. With all of the money they are putting into the rehab, I still can't believe they couldn't come up with a more harmonious design for that addition. I'm repeating myself but those new windows are totally out of character with the rest of the building. (Love the light brick on the south side though.)

So when adding on a stairway/elevator, the HPC wants to make sure it looks different than the original?

I know a lot of architects do this on purpose to define the old and the new, I didn't realize there was a rule though. Interesting!

Joe

This project did indeed go through the local HPC. It was later revised after it went to the state, because of tax credits. The state made some revisions to the approved elevations in order to have it more appropriately meet the state's interpretation of the standards. The intent is to differentiate new construction from historic construction. Whether you agree with it or not, that is the way the interpretation of the standards work.

All in all, it really is not that terrible, especially considering that the building will be rehabilitated and another company will be calling downtown home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived