61 Commerce

GRDadof3

Last night the HPC approved extensive renovations for the building at 61 Commerce.

New storefront, new wood windows on all four sides, including many new window openings on the north and south sides. There will also be a new stair tower and elevator tower so that the building can be used for offices. The tenant is a company that is moving to the city from the suburbs and is very excited to be doing so.

There is currently very little options for parking, but they want to be in the city so much, that this is a secondary concern that they will address later.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ProCare Systems is the company that is planning to move into the building. I think it is primarily going to be their office space on the upper floors, with a tenant on the ground floor - they mentioned a restaurant user as a potential first floor tenant, but nothing more was discussed.

• 6 months later...

There's a BRIP (Building Reuse Incentive Program) request for $50,000 for this project in the DDA's agenda this week. I was just driving by this building last week wondering what was going on. Let's hope this is the last step before it moves forward. I'm sure golscorer wouldn't mind some new neighbors. :D

ProCare will occupy 80% of the building according to the request.

Business Journal, as of an article today, says that the design/construction team on this project is ready to go for building permits within a day or two. :yahoo:

GRBJ Linky

Architect: Asselin Associates of Flint

CM: Wolgast Corp. of Saginaw

I wonder why they went with East side firms? edit: it looks like Asselin/Wolgast has done other work for ProCare around the State.

C'mon Rockford, when is 35 Oakes going to be a go?

• 1 month later...

There was an article about this project in Friday's Press, along with a rough drawing of what it will look like post-renovation:

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

1108466416_1868d1e283.jpg

All 4 upper floors will be used by ProCare, and the ground floor is TBD as to whether they will keep it for future expansion.

I not completely certain on fire codes (so I could be wrong) but it seems that that stairwell could have had larger more proportionate windows given that the new addition is set back. (note, if the addition had not been set back as it was, those windows could not have existed at all imediately adjacent to the windows in the existing part of the building.)

Archived