[Huntington] Downtown Radisson Hotel to become Pullman Plaza Hotel

seicer

http://www.heralddispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/612070322

HUNTINGTON -- The Radisson Hotel-Huntington will change its name to the Pullman Plaza Hotel on Jan. 1.

General Manager Phil Cline said Wednesday the hotel is ending its 20-year affiliation with the Radisson chain because it needs a name that represents downtown Huntington and its surroundings.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.heralddispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/612070322

HUNTINGTON -- The Radisson Hotel-Huntington will change its name to the Pullman Plaza Hotel on Jan. 1.

General Manager Phil Cline said Wednesday the hotel is ending its 20-year affiliation with the Radisson chain because it needs a name that represents downtown Huntington and its surroundings.

Wow, I remember going to there all the time for their "famous" Sunday brunches after going to church at the downtown Methodist church. Last time I was in Huntington, it seemed to need a bit of an upgrade.

I actually think this move is a bad thing, though, because I can't really think of a full-service chain hotel that Huntington will have downtown anymore. Ugh, I hope Marriott will go in one day or something but typically one-shot hotels like this don't do too well unless they are in a really nice historic building (which this certainly is not).

Holiday Inn has been there a few years... three, maybe?

I'm undecided about this move myself. I think that Pullman Plaza feels there isn't enough competition downtown to worry about the name ... and honestly, I haven't been impressed the last couple of times I stayed in a Radisson elsewhere. But at the same time, a chain hotel is more likely to attract visitors who don't know the area at all. So I'm not certain they're making the right decision. I think there's a lot more unsaid here.

I would feel better about the move if they were in a building that had some historical value, but it doesn't. In fact, it contrasts horribly with the new look being built downtown. Even the Holiday Inn fits better. Are the owners going to renovate it to match? Not likely...

One idea I had would be to have Marshall either buy, brand, or build a full-service hotel downtown. I know some other schools have done it (I've stayed at the University of Florida's hotel before) and it could have some success. I know last time I was in Huntington I went to that Herd cafe (or whatever it's called) downtown and it was pretty quality.

But yeah, architecturally, I could do without the Raddison building, I wouldn't shed a tear if they imploded it. I'd just rather it be some sort of a chain if they keep it, lol.

EDIT: No wonder I don't remember the Holiday Inn, it went in after i was there. I thought I was going crazy there for a moment...

After a few days of reflection, I may have grasped some of the owners' reasoning in making this move.

Hotel branding is especially important in attracting vacation hotel goers. To some extent, it also factors in attracting business clients.

However... There are two more key factors in business stays. One is location, and with only two hotels in downtown Huntington, the Pullman Plaza can rightly say they have little competition. A company sending a salesperson to Huntington is not likely to place them five or ten miles outside the city. It's possible if the company is extremely cost conscious, but not likely.

The second factor is corporations already in the area bringing in vendors, or trainers, or corporate executives. In this case, they'll book the hotel they feel offers the best mix of price, amenities, and service. I'd allow that Pullman Plaza is likely the hotel that does best fit that description.

With the recent hotel additions at the mall and along the Interstate, it's not likely that Pullman Plaza will be drawing many casual vacationers. The owners may have analyzed their client

Wow that building looks bad. I don't remember seeing it last time I visited Huntington but when the Raddison was here in Morgantown the hotel was nothing but stellar. Then after a year or so the name dropped and its now called the Waterfront Place Hotel. So I guess its a move following in the footsteps of the WPH seeing how its become a success without the branding name even tho most of us still call it the Raddison. I hope they do renovate it, looks like such a staple building downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
After a few days of reflection, I may have grasped some of the owners' reasoning in making this move.

Hotel branding is especially important in attracting vacation hotel goers. To some extent, it also factors in attracting business clients.

However... There are two more key factors in business stays. One is location, and with only two hotels in downtown Huntington, the Pullman Plaza can rightly say they have little competition. A company sending a salesperson to Huntington is not likely to place them five or ten miles outside the city. It's possible if the company is extremely cost conscious, but not likely.

The second factor is corporations already in the area bringing in vendors, or trainers, or corporate executives. In this case, they'll book the hotel they feel offers the best mix of price, amenities, and service. I'd allow that Pullman Plaza is likely the hotel that does best fit that description.

With the recent hotel additions at the mall and along the Interstate, it's not likely that Pullman Plaza will be drawing many casual vacationers. The owners may have analyzed their client

• 2 weeks later...

I can see whay they might not want to sign another 20 year contract with Radisson, but I do think that some sort of chain affiliation might still be beneficial to them. As an independent hotel they will have to offer very strong assets in terms of design and service. In its present state, the hotel would likely not fare well as an independent property. I hope their renovation plans are thorough. As for Radisson itself, their properties are a mixed bag across the board (though they tend to be much nicer in Europe). The key benefit with Radisson is the very deep pockets of its parent company. As a franchised property, they are far less likely to accrue any real benefits from the parent company. I'd like to see them restore the Hotel Prichard!

I can see whay they might not want to sign another 20 year contract with Radisson, but I do think that some sort of chain affiliation might still be beneficial to them. As an independent hotel they will have to offer very strong assets in terms of design and service. In its present state, the hotel would likely not fare well as an independent property.

Archived