932 Garland 'Gateway' Development

Mith242

I'm a little surprised no one posted about this yet. Someone mentioned a while back ago and more info is coming out now about this development. They had a nice article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about it. It will be located on Garland just south of that small shopping center on the southeast corner of Garland and North. It's being called the northern 'gateway' to the university. It's advertising that it will be the first 'true loft-style living' in the city with 20ft ceilings. It will be a mixed -use development. Two levels of parking, one level of retail and one level of office space. Then it will be topped off with 37 condo lofts. I don't think it actually said but I think it's going to be a 6 story building. A bit hard to judge because it's built on the side of a hill there. They had a rendering that I'll try to take a pic and post a little later. One interesting aspect is that this could be signaling some mixed-use buildings starting to go up away from the Dickson/downtown area.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, what an urban look. I do like it. Kinda reminds me of the Clinton Library in a way. I'm wondering how look it will take for this project to come along. The condo market is at the seams up here in NWA. These developers must be trying to appeal to a different market than all the other condo developments.

BTW, Mith would you like for me to include 6 Floor Mixed Use Project in Fayetteville on the topic description?

Wow, what an urban look. I do like it. Kinda reminds me of the Clinton Library in a way. I'm wondering how look it will take for this project to come along. The condo market is at the seams up here in NWA. These developers must be trying to appeal to a different market than all the other condo developments.

BTW, Mith would you like for me to include 6 Floor Mixed Use Project in Fayetteville on the topic description?

I don't have a problem with it, but I'm not positive if it will be or not. I suppose it could just be a 5 story. The article really didn't specify. I mentioned all the floors and then just mentioned the number of condo lofts. Not sure how much space 37 units would take but it would seem to be it would have to be more than one floor.

It really looks taller than 6 stories. I thought that it was going to be like 8. I found this project a few months ago while looking at the PC agenda and I it had about the same info that was in the paper today. The strange thing is that it never mentioned the number of stories that I know of. Usually that is what everyone is concerned with but I guess since it is not downtown and there are many taller buildings just up the hill at the university then no one is too concerned.

They said 1-4 years for the project , Matt. I hope it is closer to 1 or 2 but you know how some of these developers like to move slow.

Has anyone heard about what is going to be happening just across Wedington from this project. Right behind Harps there is supposed to be a pretty good size development. It has been a good year or so since I have heard anything on the topic but it was supposed to have underground parking some commercial space and apartments. Kind of a Mixed Use just like the Garland project. I never heard if it was going to be a taller structure but I am sure that it will have to be.

Has anyone heard about what is going to be happening just across Wedington from this project. Right behind Harps there is supposed to be a pretty good size development. It has been a good year or so since I have heard anything on the topic but it was supposed to have underground parking some commercial space and apartments. Kind of a Mixed Use just like the Garland project. I never heard if it was going to be a taller structure but I am sure that it will have to be.

There are plans for Garland avenue/112 to be "4 laned" all the way to Tonitown. I don't know to what extent "boulevardization" :) will occur on the roadway or the phasing. Or even how the eventual Western Bypass may come into play...

Additionally, Razorback Rd through campus will be four laned after which two lanes will be shut down and the remainder of the Stadium facade will be added on, so that the West side will look more like the East side. I assume the will more major widening occurring on Maple and some sort of reworking of the Maple and Garland intersection. Who knows what the time table is. I'm not even sure if all of it made it into AHTD's constrained capital improvement plans for the next 10 years.

Anyone with mas info?

Can you say Tony C's Coffee Please?

There are plans for Garland avenue/112 to be "4 laned" all the way to Tonitown. I don't know to what extent "boulevardization" :) will occur on the roadway or the phasing. Or even how the eventual Western Bypass may come into play...

Additionally, Razorback Rd through campus will be four laned after which two lanes will be shut down and the remainder of the Stadium facade will be added on, so that the West side will look more like the East side. I assume the will more major widening occurring on Maple and some sort of reworking of the Maple and Garland intersection. Who knows what the time table is. I'm not even sure if all of it made it into AHTD's constrained capital improvement plans for the next 10 years.

Anyone with mas info?

Anyone with mas info?

Anyone with mas info?

How are they going to 4 lane Razorback road by the stadium? They'll have to demolish some buildings on the non-stadium side of the road for that to work, or basically have pavement up to the front door of some of those buildings, because they certainly can't take any room on the other side of the street, the new track, athletic training buildings, softball field, and Razorback Stadium are all there.

The last time I saw the plans, they wouldn't have to demolish anything (except, I think, it got close to the UA Campus Police building). But that was without a median (i.e. non-boulevard), so if the UA wants a boulevard (I don't know if they've made up their mind yet), then obviously it will cost more and require some demolishion

Really? It's going to get really close to some of those buildings then. It'll also probably encroach on the intermural soccer fields, and I'm sure it'll take a chunk of land in front of that fraternity and the alumni house down there too. Are they going to widen it all the way up to Cleveland? That'll be quite interesting, and I can't see how they would make a workable intersection up there unless they widen cleveland all the way back to that intersection. I can literally see no place to widen Maple in certain areas, and I don't really think it needs it, so I don't understand how they'd work on that either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived