Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ctman987

Hartford Life Plans Expansion

11 posts in this topic

Its a shame that all of the major insurers in Hartford felt the need to build huge suburban campuses over the last 50 years. Imagine if The Hartford, Aetna, Phoenix, Travelers, etc. all stayed downtown.

Its a shame that all of the major insurers in Hartford felt the need to build huge suburban campuses over the last 50 years. Imagine if The Hartford, Aetna, Phoenix, Travelers, etc. all stayed downtown.

The Phoenix has moved all their CT employees to Hartford, St Paul Travelers has most of their employees in downtown in 7 or 8 different buildings, Aetna has a sizeable presents downtown, soon to be larger with their middletown campus closure. The Hartford is really the only one you mention where they don't have a very large presence downtown. They do have HIMCO is on Farmington Ave and also employees in their highrise - but i believe most of their employees are out of Simsbury.

Aetna, The Hartford, CIGNA, Travelers and Phoenix have all built sizeable suburban campuses at one time. Had they all concentrated on staying in Hartford from the start, there is no denying we would have a much larger and much more active downtown.

Hartford's business climate would be unbelievable if all of that growth occured in the city. It would probably have forced Downtown to expand it's footprint pretty completely into Asylum Hill and maybe even the North Meadows to a degree.

I guess the question is then why didn't they expand in the city, and going forward what can be done to address this?

I guess the question is then why didn't they expand in the city, and going forward what can be done to address this?

The Griffin Line connecting Union Station with the Airport would have been done now. It would have connected through Bloomfield and Windsor and taken cars off I-91.

Alas, killed by the DOT who said it had "other priorities." Code for enriching their road building friends.