New bridge over Cumberland?

nashvillwill

So, I had the day of today and took a scenic drive of the area (my favorite hobby). As I headed west on Briley Pkwy just past Opryland I noticed something. It appears (among all of the other construction along Briley) that they are preparing/have begun work to extend Two Rivers Pkwy over the Cumberland. Is this correct? Some sort of bridge is being built. After looking at Google Earth I have found that a small airport is on the other side of the river directly in the path of where it would presumably run. Beyond the runway is fairly tightly packed neighborhoods with windy roads. If it doesn't cross the runway and go through many living rooms :P it would have to turn and run parallel to the river and Briley Pkwy. What would it connect to? Any info on this road/bridge?

During my excursion I took my first close look at the MCS. I walked around the Donelson station and I was quite impressed! The facilites are nice, and a little more serious than I expected. The only thing it seems to lack is some sort of newspaper stand/snack bar(but I know it's not yet high-traffic enough for that).

Adelicia is slowly but surely growing.

Suntrust is finally above grade.

The Hill Center (name ?) in G.H. is bigger than I had imagined.

R.M.Hill is going to be so cool to see whenever it gets started. This goes for the ballpark site as well.

The new Vanderbilt mixed use building on 21st is coming along. (I personally am very excited about that)

SoBro.....WOW! This area is changing so rapidly that I don't think anyone will recognize it in a few years. I'm still hoping for some very urban retail/restaurant development to go along with the hotel/condo boom. Seriously, I think the sidewalks in SoBro need to be looked at long and hard.

As usual PCS metals made me want to vomit, but I guess it's no worse than the 20k parking spaces around LP Field.

It's nice to live in such an exciting city, with so much to see. I recomend everyone try to get out and see it every now and again. Especially, the parts you don't often travel.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the pedestrian bridge to connect the Shelby Bottoms Greenway via a tunnel under Briley with the Two Rivers leg of the greenway. It's going to be a beautiful structure and will make quite a statement from the parkway. I'm really glad to see the funding was released. It'll be 20-feet wide, 700-feet long, and very high with suspension supports and very contemporary. Very slick. I had a rendering, but cannot locate it.

The terminus will be at Percy Priest Dam. You'll cross from Shelby Bottoms, over the river, under the freeway, into Two Rivers Park, from there, there's another tunnel under Two Rivers Parkway which takes to through the golf course, past Two Rivers Mansion and under McGavock via tunnel. Then, after a 25% or so grade you end up in the flats before hitting the Stones. The greeway continues there, over the Stones River, sometimes elevated along the river on side supported boardwalks, over the hill land through the woods (there's a song there somewhere...), past old railroad beds....eventually putting you under I-40 at the Stone's River Bridge and at the dam. It's very cool. The entire link is about 28-30 miles. I'm not sure where this mileage estimate starts, but would assume it begins at MetroCenter, the connection to downtown funding was just allocatted, btw.

Much of the system is complete, but check the greenways maps and updates for more information. The Greenways Director will write you back if you email him. Very helpful.

The terminus will be at Percy Priest Dam. You'll cross from Shelby Bottoms, over the river, under the freeway, into Two Rivers Park, from there, there's another tunnel under Two Rivers Parkway which takes to through the golf course, past Two Rivers Mansion and under McGavock via tunnel. Then, after a 25% or so grade you end up in the flats before hitting the Stones. The greeway continues there, over the Stones River, sometimes elevated along the river on side supported boardwalks, over the hill land through the woods (there's a song there somewhere...), past old railroad beds....eventually putting you under I-40 at the Stone's River Bridge and at the dam. It's very cool. The entire link is about 28-30 miles. I'm not sure where this mileage estimate starts, but would assume it begins at MetroCenter, the connection to downtown funding was just allocatted, btw.

Much of the system is complete, but check the greenways maps and updates for more information. The Greenways Director will write you back if you email him. Very helpful.

Archived