Uptown Renderings

AuLukey

So, this topic came and went a few months back, but I really enjoyed seeing some of the work that people had put together as for the future of Charlotte. I was wondering if anybody out there has done anything recently since the announcements of the BoA project, WB project, 300 S Tryon, and Concourse. I'd love to see how the newest condos will light up our sky.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, this topic came and went a few months back, but I really enjoyed seeing some of the work that people had put together as for the future of Charlotte. I was wondering if anybody out there has done anything recently since the announcements of the BoA project, WB project, 300 S Tryon, and Concourse. I'd love to see how the newest condos will light up our sky.

Also, someone once put together a beautiful aeriel view of uptown that included several of the newly announced buildings. Any chance we could get an updated version of the aerial with new Wachovia, 300 S. Tryon, new BOA, etc included? That'd be awesome...

Ok, so I've slowly started to build different towers uptown, but man, I never realized how long it takes if you want at least a little detail in these things to set them apart. Each tower is now taking close to twenty minutes to perfect on sketch-up. Should be done with the whole thing by Christmas, NYE at the latest.

I'm nowhere even close to being done with this as I am in the middle of my exam week and have little time to work on it, but I figured I'd share what I've gotten so far as to get any suggestions you all might have. This is my first go-around with Google Sketch-up, so it's pretty rough.

CharlotteRenderingwithtower.jpg

EDIT: I realize now that TTT looks black, that's because I actually built that a long time ago with each floor included, all the lines mesh together at this angle for some reason. I've still got another 15 towers to add too.

thanks, I forgot about the TTT box. that should be easy to fix.

I hadn't bothered placing the WB tower yet because I hadn't made the condo or the museums yet, so i just kinda plopped it on the lot to get perspective of what angle I should use. I've got a lot of work to do on it.

Let's say I'm Kenny Thompson, sitting in my 1980s perch looking to the slick new sky window in my new toy a few blocks away. I give one of my underlings a call, say the head of Corporate Investment Banking, located at the top floor of the new building. He can look out of the sky window and see me. But if he turns around, there is no "sky window".

The sky window is just the gap caused by the fact that the incline on the west side of the tower goes taller than the top of the incline on the east side of the tower.

Pay close attention to the side views on these images:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=634282

The sky window is just the doorway between the balcony and the penthouse suite.

So, if you're looking at it from the stadium area, the top would look like a downward pointing triangle with no skywindow.

Yeah, I realize that now. I knew you had the right angle, I just didn't realize a bird could fly through it.

One thing I think you may already know and are going to add, but the Wachovia building has a midrise section extending all the way to Church.

Ok, finally got the time to work on the Wachovia Complex and edit the new BoA tower. The newly announced Third Ward complex is still a bit too ambiguous for me to add on here just yet. Until then, I may just focus more on details of the lowrise infill around the area. I have to say that the Wachovia condo was one of the harder buildings to create due to all the curves and shapes in its design. It will definately be a jewel.

I still can't figure out why the Vue came out looking so tall in all these shots, it's relative scale on here is identical to the posted heights on here and emporis. It must just be the angles I chose. Let me know if I've missed anything. I've put enough work into it now that I want to try and eventually get it at least close to perfect.

Western bird's eye view:

CharlotteBetaWest.jpg

Southern view:

CharlotteBetaSouth.jpg

Ground level view from N. Tryon:

CharlotteBetaNorthTryonground.jpg

Wachovia's new look:

CharlotteBetaWachoviaComplex.jpg

Ok, finally got the time to work on the Wachovia Complex and edit the new BoA tower. The newly announced Third Ward complex is still a bit too ambiguous for me to add on here just yet. Until then, I may just focus more on details of the lowrise infill around the area. I have to say that the Wachovia condo was one of the harder buildings to create due to all the curves and shapes in its design. It will definately be a jewel.

I still can't figure out why the Vue came out looking so tall in all these shots, it's relative scale on here is identical to the posted heights on here and emporis. It must just be the angles I chose. Let me know if I've missed anything. I've put enough work into it now that I want to try and eventually get it at least close to perfect.

Western bird's eye view:

CharlotteBetaWest.jpg

Southern view:

CharlotteBetaSouth.jpg

Ground level view from N. Tryon:

CharlotteBetaNorthTryonground.jpg

Wachovia's new look:

CharlotteBetaWachoviaComplex.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived