Uptown Renderings

AuLukey

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, sorry about that. I haven't had the chance because I upgraded my computer to Windows Vista Beta which I like a lot but, at the time, Google Earth and Sketchup wouldn't work properly. I haven't attempted downloading them again to work on this some more, but more programs are coming out that work with Vista, so I'm sure by now Google (of all companies) will have caught on. I'll try later today to get back to work on it.

But anywho, this thread was for other people to show off their renderings as well and nobody has stepped up to the plate. I'd love to see what other people can come up with.

• 2 months later...

Ok, thanks to some inspiration from DaAchiever, I finally figured out a way to get Sketchup to work on Vista. Let's just say it took a little work and somehow ended up involving my CMOS battery (unusual yes, but don't ask.) Long story short, I made it my goal today to try and finish this all up. I have a meeting at 8am tomorrow (/today) so I'm leaving it as is because I'm running out of buildings to add.

I was actually surprised how little impact adding a 950ft tower (1000ft with spire) on the other end of town would have on the crown that is BoA. Unless you're looking down S Tryon, BoA still seems to be pretty commanding of the skyline. Granted my rendition of Trump's tower is a bit bland, but I left it that way because I'm not the world's most imaginative guy.

CharlotteRenderingwithtrump2.jpg

Same picture with transit tax repealed:

CharlotteSmog1.jpg

Higher angle (with transit tax):

CharlotteRenderingwithtrump.jpg

Then again, from the North, trump does become the crown... hmm.

NorthernView.jpg

The "new side" of town:

Wachovia300STryonandTrump.jpg

More angles to come after my meeting lets out.

Wow aussie luke, that looks incredible! Thanks for working so hard on that, especially on the weekend. By 2012 or so, Charlotte will almost look like a completely different city. BTW, your Trump tower resembles the Sears tower quite a bit (maybe its the spires)....can't say that I would have any complaints! :D

I agree, a lot of third and fourth ward will definitely look more filled in with mid-rise or, if we're lucky, a highrise or two.

One thing I am becoming a bit disappointed in is the number of 400ft-ish towers along the southern end of town. I'm really hoping that Trump makes his second tower either 500ft or 300ft. Having a straight line of buildings capped by one or two taller towers is a bit bland. Assuming Overture turns out around the same height as 300 S Tryon (given the correct angle) that would make seven buildings between 300 and 400 feet all within a few blocks of one another. Then again, who am I to be picky? If it were me though, and he were to build a 30-40 story tower along side it, he should put some kind of structure on top of it to give it some kind of distinction, a la Deutsche Bank Place in Sydney.

On top of what you mentioned, I'm really hoping that if Trump goes through with his plan, the Observer will be wise enough to realize how much their land will be worth. Yes, I am all for maintaining older buildings in Charlotte, but with the arts complex here, that land will be prime for all kinds of amazing things. I could see them selling their land and moving into another space across 277. If they don't relocate, they would be wise to let a developer buy and build along Stonewall and Tryon fronting the street for office space and retail.

I agree, a lot of third and fourth ward will definitely look more filled in with mid-rise or, if we're lucky, a highrise or two.

On top of what you mentioned, I'm really hoping that if Trump goes through with his plan, the Observer will be wise enough to realize how much their land will be worth. Yes, I am all for maintaining older buildings in Charlotte, but with the arts complex here, that land will be prime for all kinds of amazing things. I could see them selling their land and moving into another space across 277. If they don't relocate, they would be wise to let a developer buy and build along Stonewall and Tryon fronting the street for office space and retail.

At your request:

1990:

CharlotteRendering1990.jpg

2000:

CharlotteRendering2000.jpg

2007:

CharlotteRenderingBefore.jpg

2015:

CharlotteRenderingwithtrump2.jpg

I'm sure I missed a few smaller buildings that were built post-date, but I'm not really in the mood to look such info up on each structure unless it makes a real impact on the skyline. Also, I didn't add any buildings that were destroyed to make way for new towers, so I'm sure these are even less accurate accordingly, but this is just for fun to compare all the major changes to our fair city's skyline. I left Avenue and Trademark in for 2007 because they are pretty much done deals as far as their impact on the skyline is concerned. Hope you all enjoy.

aussieluke, glad to hear I'm not the only one who is noticing the height trend on and near S.Tryon. It's really not attractive to have so many buildings in the same vicinity that are the same height.

I may be wrong (and please correct me if I'm mistaken) but from what I can tell, Overture will be about the same height as 1 Independence Center. If that's the case, it would be shorter than 400 S. Tryon and Wachovia #3. That would look OK.

But then next door, Novare's 12 will be coming on board which is a 39 story hotel/condo tower. Won't that make it almost exactly the same height as 400 S. Tryon and Wachovia 3? 300 S. Tryon is going to be close to 30 stories (?) putting it roughly the same height too.

And don't forget Wachovia's condo tower at 42 stories. Won't that also be close in height to 400 S. Tryon et al?

In the first place why did Wachovia decide to build their #3 tower such a similar height as 400 S. Tryon, across the street????? Taller or shorter would have looked better.

With the exception of Wachovia's 46 story tower, it might end up looking like southern Uptown has a legal height limit, and developers are building right up to the limit!

that looks awesome aussie luke

I decided to throw one together in microsoft paint with some of the buildings from Hong Kong.

haha it only took me like five minutes, so it's pretty crappy

but it was super easy...more people ought to post renderings!

TheTheTheRender.JPG

obviously the original image is from the site in picture, but just in case I got it from metroscenes.com/charlotte

that looks awesome aussie luke

I decided to throw one together in microsoft paint with some of the buildings from Hong Kong.

haha it only took me like five minutes, so it's pretty crappy

but it was super easy...more people ought to post renderings!

TheTheTheRender.JPG

obviously the original image is from the site in picture, but just in case I got it from metroscenes.com/charlotte

I agree, TTT, while not enormous is going to fill in the middle of the skyline quite well.

I'm probably boring you all with these renderings now as I little by little improve upon them, but I have now added NHOF (or tried,) Berkman (based off the original design,) the Westin expansion, Citadin, and I placed a larger map footprint (which took about thirty minutes in upon itself to scale and get the right angle.) Now I have more room for the lowrise sections of uptown.

I'm still unsure about both the design and the orientation of Twelve. Which block and what street is it actually facing now? I can't find any renderings for the third ward plan anymore so I don't think I have the orientation perfect there either. One thing I like about this new angle is that it shows that the Trump tower I came up with isn't just a solid box as it has looked like from the other renderings I have posted:

CharlotteRendering4-3-07.jpg

I like this option because you can see the true density of the skyline this way:

CharlotteRendering4-3-07xray.jpg

Fantastic work Aussie! Thanks to everyone making the time to create these intricate maps. Is there any chance we can get these renderings on Google Earth? Does Urban Planet already provide this capability?

BTW: Is this the Carolina Theater Site:

Berkman.jpg

Archived