I-10 North Monroe Business Corridor

SkyDave

Two major construction projects are being planned for the North Monroe - I-10 Area.

Pre and Post Submittal Stage

Lakeshore Drive Property

(Post-Application) TSP060083 (21-14-20-413, 414,416,429-0000)

Proposed project is the construction of three buildings:

1. A four story condominium,

2. A 60,000 square foot office building,

3. A 122 room six story hotel.

The project is located on 6.72 acres on the east side of Lakeshore Drive West, approximately 500

south of Interstate 10.

Hampton Inn

(Pre-Application) TPA060125 (21-14-20-443-0000)

Proposed project is the construction of a 28,650 sq. ft. 60-unit hotel development. The property is

located on North Monroe Street approximately 757 feet west of Sharer Road.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing that SkyDave. Both those projects are South of I-10 and I'm all for it. I take it that Hampton Inn will move out of their current location North of I-10 and into this new bldg.? I wonder if there will be opposition from the Lakeshore Dr. people even though they are on the other side of I-10 from this project. What am I saying??? In this town, of course there will be opposition. Rise up ole NIMBY and fight fight fight. :P

I'd be all for the height at old exit 28, but here I think 6 stories is more than enough, to keep with what's already in place. Tallahassee doesn't have to grow up overnight, and I know it would look great to have another tower facing the interstate, but that day will come. I think having a cluster of towers and or office buildings at old exit 28 would make it stand out as a business district. It would have been nice to have 100,000 sq.ft. building like that Commonwealth Center (Duracell Battery) for Torrey Pines over there.

And Poonther, you're so right about the NIMBY's, they are coming. They're already out there!!! Look at the Wal-Mart Battle brewing. Soon this exit will have a new WAL-MART Super center, and if that wasn't enough, Two new hotels, and a condominium development. I'd like to see a few more restaurants.

And development North of I-10 on Monroe began a long time ago. If I had to say, I would argue this area is fairly well developed up to Fred George Road. I think what needs to happen up there is a re-newal of some of the older businesses fronting on the road. I'd like to see the city or county (who's ever jurisdiction this is) enforce wider setbacks from the road. Its more attractive and it makes planning for future transportation infrastructure easier.

And development North of I-10 on Monroe began a long time ago. If I had to say, I would argue this area is fairly well developed up to Fred George Road. I think what needs to happen up there is a re-newal of some of the older businesses fronting on the road. I'd like to see the city or county (who's ever jurisdiction this is) enforce wider setbacks from the road. Its more attractive and it makes planning for future transportation infrastructure easier.

• 2 months later...

My father and I were riding on I-10 through Tallahassee yesterday and noticed a few interesting things. One in particular I think I'll mention here for the sake of conversation.

Has anyone noticed, just behind the Monroe Street exit, where you see the holding Pond and in the distance, Movies 8. Just a few feet east of the huge holding pond, crews have cleared out a huge thick of trees that seem to stretch from I-10 all the way to the Movies 8 Plaza. I've gone over the plans for this widening and expansion project for I-10 and I can't find anything on there to indicate an additional exit will be added for this area, yet it seems as if the contractor or whomever has forged themsleves a small passageway from the Freeway to the nearby Plaza. If anyone else has seen this, what do you all make of it? Expanding the holding pond area? Or could this be the new "short cut" to Christian Heritage Church?! :D

Just thought that was interesting.

My father and I were riding on I-10 through Tallahassee yesterday and noticed a few interesting things. One in particular I think I'll mention here for the sake of conversation.

Has anyone noticed, just behind the Monroe Street exit, where you see the holding Pond and in the distance, Movies 8. Just a few feet east of the huge holding pond, crews have cleared out a huge thick of trees that seem to stretch from I-10 all the way to the Movies 8 Plaza. I've gone over the plans for this widening and expansion project for I-10 and I can't find anything on there to indicate an additional exit will be added for this area, yet it seems as if the contractor or whomever has forged themsleves a small passageway from the Freeway to the nearby Plaza. If anyone else has seen this, what do you all make of it? Expanding the holding pond area? Or could this be the new "short cut" to Christian Heritage Church?! :D

Just thought that was interesting.

This has something to do with water management. I drove by on the road that passes under I-10 right near the pond and saw a sign mentioning water management. It probably has something to do with expanding the capacity of the holding pond in preparation for the soon-to-be three lane I-10.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure if it's been reported here or not, but Sun and Soul on North Monroe closed about a month ago. I'm sure that's due to Movie Gallery's financial problems.

There are definitely some pretty "holes" in the Mid-Monroe (Tharpe to I-10) area. Dillard's and the old Sound Advice at Tally Mall, CompUSA, Sun and Soul, Roadhouse, the Old Rally's and the quick oil change place next-door. Not good at all for one of the gateway roads into the city.

The only new activity I can think of in this corridor is the new Little Cesar's next to Firehouse and the EL IHOP which is moving at a snail's pace. Remember when they said it would be open by late April? :)

Not sure if it's been reported here or not, but Sun and Soul on North Monroe closed about a month ago. I'm sure that's due to Movie Gallery's financial problems.

There are definitely some pretty "holes" in the Mid-Monroe (Tharpe to I-10) area. Dillard's and the old Sound Advice at Tally Mall, CompUSA, Sun and Soul, Roadhouse, the Old Rally's and the quick oil change place next-door. Not good at all for one of the gateway roads into the city.

The only new activity I can think of in this corridor is the new Little Cesar's next to Firehouse and the EL IHOP which is moving at a snail's pace. Remember when they said it would be open by late April? :)

Archived