Mesa

MJLO

I need to hear an arguement of opinions on Mesa, I read this in the EVT today.

Someone actually had the crack pot idea of trying to put a nightclub in Mesa. They tried having a meeting with residents about it.

I'll just post a quote from the article.

Crum said he was surprised at the anger people brought to the meeting. He said the city

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have the potential to have a much more vibrant Downtown if they really wanted. The Mesa Southwest Museum, the temple and the convention center make kind of a corridor that they could develop into something bigger and better. But it doesn't seem like people are interested in that.

I've heard about Mesa's consistent funding cuts toward its museum and its rejection of expenditures directed at re-developing Downtown. I think you're right: people want the status quo there but the city's just gotten too damn big for that and they need to do something. From what I've heard, most everyone just drives into Tempe or Scottsdale if they want to do something fun. Why the city and businesses don't want to cash in on that I don't know.

It's possible. It's certainly the second largest mormon-dominated city in the country (SLC being the largest), but the majority of Mesa's population is not Mormon. It's just that the city was founded by Mormons and is still run by a Mormon clique. I would think that Provo has more Mormons total though.

While I certainly couldn't tell you the ratio. I know that from the city center at around Southern and Country Club. Up to a little more north and east, say maybe around Greenfield and University, there are nothing but mormons. Mormon temples or whatever on every street corner. In fact it's very hard to find any other kind of religious institution in Mesa, I've heard that city ordinances make it almost impossible for any kind of church other than those buildings to be built by the mormons. Although for sure I don't know the straight facts on it.

Someone actually had the crack pot idea of trying to put a nightclub in Mesa. They tried having a meeting with residents about it.

I've lived in Mesa the entire time i've lived in the valley, and wouldn't mind not having to drive a half hour for night life and or entertainment. I'm very unimpressed with this city. Especially with the Ludacrous arguement that they are trying to preserve it's small town charm. Small towns don't have the crime, traffic, and infrastructure for a city of 450,000 people. The people in this city are in denial of inevitable change. As developers don't want to face political torture and severe NIMBYism, take potential developments that could help the city out of mediocrity elsewhere. And Prospective new residents with their tax dollars take up residence in more progressive, entertaining valley cities. This city is failing miserably in the valleywide race for distinction. As it stands now the only form of entertainment comes from a certain homogenous religion, with houses of worship on every street corner.

Speaking of Mesa's future plans. Mesa is seeking to update it's zoning code . Good news to my ears. It sounds like the leadership is gearing up to get with the times.

Trying to lure new real estate investment and keep pace with the times, Mesa is taking its first step toward wholesale changes in a zoning code that has remained unchanged for 18 years.

That's pretty funny about the BoA tower. How did that thing get built? It's like 215ft tall or something. You can see it for miles around because there is nothing close to a three level structure anywhere near it. It stands out looks a little out of place.

Ok back in the summer, I created this thread. About a proposed $250 million Water sports park that was negotiating to go somewhere in the valley. Today i'm checking out the EVT and I see this article. Mesa is working pretty hard with Waveyard Developments, to get this park built in the riverview area of the city. They are looking at a the sale of a city owned golf course. The more I have been reading lately, the more my opinion has changed about Mesa. It seems the city is trying harder than I thought to make itself more relevant with the rest of the valley. If something like this goes thru, coupled with zoning codes they are talking about putting in, we could really see a good change in Mesa, perhaps even a little more density in the coming years.

I'm not sure, but it sounds almost as if the cities current leadership is a little more progressive, than previous administrations.

But a water park will do nothing for the city itself, its atmosphere or, I think, it's viability in regards to the rest of the Valley. It's a regional attraction, but I think it'll be more aimed at the hundreds of thousands already residing in Mesa. Just like when they build those little water parks in the master planned communities: it's a selling point, not a genuine attempt to improve the quality of life.

I've never been real big on water parks though. In Arizona, they're definitely a waste of water, but people have to get cool somehow I guess, and some would rather do so in a chlorinated environment descending at 30 mph.

Looks like that nightclub (Hurricane Bay) is going to continue trying to get that permit to open in the old Factory Stores mall in southeast Mesa. Meanwhile, Lowe's is now facing some stiff opposition from residents to open a store near Country Club and Baseline, also in Mesa. We'll hear from the Planning and Zoning Board on both proposals on January 18th.

My only criticism of big stores like Lowe's is that they come with big sprawling parking lots, especially here in Mesa which requires high parking space ratios compared to Tempe. But it sounds like most of my neighbors would prefer empty parking lots (or empty lots of any kind) to anything else.

traal, it's a shame it's that way, but you are very very right. Such is the way of suburbia. But you can't really blame your neighbors. Big oceans of parking are much much easier compared to any kind of urban living. Residents who take up those conveniences don't realize how much the tax our resources, and certainly don't care how boring and ugly they are.

I think it was just over a year ago that a Phoenix neighborhood had that big anti-Wal Mart response when there was one proposed in an abandoned supermarket. It was on the west side somewhere, but I don't remember exactly where and don't recall how it ended up.

But this is sort of a tide change for the Valley, don't you think? It's no longer "Oh, look, they're building a Lowe's down the street! Now I can buy a case of hammers at 9pm on a Tuesday and only have to drive 1/2 mile!" More "The sea of asphalt required for that Lowe's is going to stick like an ugly sore in my neighborhood and will probably drive my property value down."

I'm glad that people there are realizing the impacts these places have on their communities and fighting these big box chains.

I've lived in Mesa the entire time i've lived in the valley, and wouldn't mind not having to drive a half hour for night life and or entertainment. I'm very unimpressed with this city. Especially with the Ludacrous arguement that they are trying to preserve it's small town charm. Small towns don't have the crime, traffic, and infrastructure for a city of 450,000 people. The people in this city are in denial of inevitable change. As developers don't want to face political torture and severe NIMBYism, take potential developments that could help the city out of mediocrity elsewhere. And Prospective new residents with their tax dollars take up residence in more progressive, entertaining valley cities. This city is failing miserably in the valleywide race for distinction. As it stands now the only form of entertainment comes from a certain homogenous religion, with houses of worship on every street corner.

:shok: If you all new anything about the aformentioned communities they make Mesa look like Vegas, aside from the fact that they are just little cities. I have a feeling that this Nightclub will get built, unless the NIMBY's take up guerilla tactics.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived