Mesa

MJLO

haha that mall isn't so bad. Fiesta Mall is scary, Superstition Mall is just more boring, and better fits the character of Mesa's main demographic. Those neighborhoods around there are so perfectly Stepford, the hyperbolic statements these people make, makes them look downright uneducated. I mean, if you're going to opposed to a certain business going in your neighborhood fine, but please atleast attempt to make an articulate arguement.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's definitely one thing I dislike about Phoenix: how they sort of abandon their retail spaces and build ones further out instead of investing in refurbishment. There's one somewhere in northwestern Gilbert that really struck me. It was almost totally abandoned, but, right down the road, probably less than a mile away, there was a brand spankin' new shopping area with big box and chain stores galore. I don't get it.

But why do they not do that here in Tucson when those same factors are present?

I mean, just look at our malls. El Con is dead but has always had big plans to re-invent itself, and it already has in some ways with the big box influx. But there are others like Southgate Plaza (I-10@6th Avenue) that, I think, should just die and merge into a light industrial park, but you still hear about people wanting to redevelop them. Then you have something like Broadway Village (Broadway@Country Club) that has not only been around for 40+ years, but is actually thriving.

Does this come back to that whole "no one cares" stereotype of Phoenix that I have?

more speculation, but perhaps tucson / pima county's zoning & land use laws encourage redevelopment as well as new development; whereas developers in phoenix / mesa / maricopa, et. al., may have greater incentive to just move out a little ways and build new. if the tucson side of that is true, 'encourage' is still a relative term. tucson and lots of other places could benefit tremendously from regulations that demand -yes, demand - that reuse and mixed use go hand-in-hand. a walgreens will never be anything but a walgreens (or similar hand-me down store if the original tenant leaves): one-story building, parking lot, dumpster. multiply that blueprint for an urban fabric by some arbitrary bigass number and you have most of tucson.

Mesa plans crackdown on illegal immigration

I love the first sentence:

"Tired of day laborers hanging out on streets and crime associated with undocumented immigrants..."

Not to bring the immigration debate up in here, but these people wouldn't be hanging around unless there was work for them. And now Mesa wants to threaten them with arrest?

Haha, I'm not going to voice opinion on the issue one way or another. But I gotta tell you, the Mesa "ghetto" is FULL of guys hanging out on the streets. Just take a drive up and down Broadway, during morning rush.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be good, but we won't see a station in downtown Mesa for another 8 years.

They really ought to think about putting at least one station in the Fiesta Mall / MCC area (the "other" downtown Mesa). Especially if those high-rise condos go in behind Best Buy ("Fiesta Towers").

Also, there's a ValleyMetro transit center near Fiesta Mall which would almost certainly put it through that area. That's actually why they diverged the northern route somewhat close to the Metro Center.

But yeah, it'll be a while until Mesa sees light rail.

Archived