Mesa

MJLO

Light rail would definitely reinvigorate that corridor. There needs to be a reason for people to move closer to the city. Right now everyone's moving further out because that's where the nicer places to live are. If there was some kick-ass condo tower in that area adjacent to the retail and offices to make it a mixed-use community. I think that sort of development would also spawn upscale retail, which makes sense in that area.

Just a thought.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fiesta Towers originally was a great idea for the area. Too bad it has fallen down to 6 stories. The key to the area is Westcor, and what they do with Fiesta Mall. Many of the property owners want to wait and see what they are going to do. As of now, the designs are weak and will have no impact of the district concerning any standards of what this area will become. Westcor has an opportunity to do something big, and as of now, it is pathetic.

Also, I attended the Fiesta District meeting last week at MCC. PMC was chosen as the consultant and have done some great work. The opportunity is there, and light rail would be a great option for this area. I think there is an opportunity for rail in this area where it could connect to tempe down southern ave. But light rail has to be a huge success for more money put into the system. If the density comes to that area, maybe some will push for the transit. Also, I have had the opportunity to work with some possible TOD's in mesa that are not public. These will be important for the success of light rail and redevelopment/mix use in Mesa.

And thanks MJLO for the welcome, I appreciate it. But in response to your comment about the mayor, I would have to disagree. As a resident, and native of Mesa I have seen many different characters come and go threw the city halls. I have meet, worked with those who surround Mayor Hawker and more of his focus is the Williams Gateway airport. AFter the Baily's Brake shop debacle, the city has shied off of redevelopment in the core areas. The mayor has done some great things, but the focus is not Downtown by all means. The city did not want to move forward with Waveyard unless citizens would support it. They were initially scared to upset the citizens and would not fallow the council of the city manager Chris Brady(who IMO has put together a clear cut incentive package). The mentality by some of the naysayers has made many residents not care about the city and its quality of life. You can see with the low voter turnout. Also, what I think Mesa needs is a true, revolutionary leader in changing the face of Mesa. We need someone with some guts to lead the city in a new direction from the largest bedroom community to the center of the east valley. Screw the status que that the city has fallowed for so long, its time we act like a city that is approaching a half million residents.

I look forward to further discussion on the possibilities for Mesa with you guys ideas and so forth. I will also keep you guys informed of what I know and can write about.

After that rant, lets talk about what Mesa should do to change the image and so forth. (i.e. lets leave out race, religion, one legged pirates and so forth out of this) Lets focus on ideas for change.

These are some of my ideas.

Start with making specialized districts.

such as Fiesta, Riverview and Downtown. Also West Main st. (light rial which is in progress) and South country club dr to connect to the Fiesta District.

In downtown, they have a wonderful arts center, they need to work off of that. Also, MCC is coming to downtown. This can help create that student population and workforce in the area. Market rate and affordable mix housing (density) needs to be implemented. The city should encourage density and redevelopment and speed up the process for those who do this.

Exploring beyond the current light rail line to creating a larger mass transit system. One that will get you to other districts, but also connect into a transit station with commuter rail and buses.

Change the zoning to encourage density in these area. Instead of set backs, have build to lines. Also, require min height and max height (current zoning says what you can't do and how high you can do it) impalement smart growth, FBC's into the system.

Also, instead of having these huge, wide roads that are dangerous and ugly, why not refocus our streets to be public places instead of speed and movement of one form of transportation. Beatify our streets with medians and landscaping. Make this area a pedestrian/cycle friendly.

Ok, that is just a few, but lets get this moving guys. I look forward to your ideas and comments.

I like the specialized districts idea. Give the districts as much autonomy as possible (their own budgets and committees, etc.) so citizens can take pride in their piece of the city. Let them enact their own property taxes if they want (with their citizens' permission), so they aren't burdened by the rest of Mesa's lack of foresight.

I think it's smart, that the city government is afraid to act without citizen consent, after all they are little more than the voice of the citizens. It's the Mesan citizens themselves I take issue with. I'd say the vast majority of Mesans could not care less what comes into the city, and would not have an opinion on it either way. The residents surrounding the core certainly have no idea what goes on with the city, and wouldn't vote on it. No, Mesa has a small group of residents that are not happy no matter what the city wants to do, or what a developer proposes. These people are very vocal, and very adament. They will stomp their feet and whine and moan until they get their way. I've seem them in everything that tries to come thru the city. If you ask me, the city doesn't do a good enough job getting it's message out to those people who really don't care, or who actually might like to see a night life, or an attractive core. What they do instead, is walk on egg shells for these people who live in Places like Baseline and Crismon, or Power and Thomas, ten to fifteen miles from where anything might go. Because it's easier to fold and keep things mediocre, than it is to make the city a viable place, in a valley that is fractured, and competing against itself.

I know what you are saying MJLO. That select group is called the VBO and Concerned Citizens. There are also a few naysayers that want to fight everything and have held a grudge against the city for almost 30 years. I have had to deal with some of these people in public meetings. I will say tho, most of it is close minded ignorant old people, or just un-educated about the possibilities that something new could bring. Most of them will try to find fault and bring up the past. Most of it is double standard that these people sit on. For example, they will complain about city services, lack of funding, but will not vote yes on property tax. Most will act on emotion and think of all the bad and not look at it from a different point of view.

Because of these people and the way they have acted, I have noticed a change in interest in Mesans. Many are getting sick and tired of their tactics and how they try to run everything good out of town. Groups like Mesa Grande Association, and West Mesa Community Development Corporation have been vocal in change and leading redevelopment in the older parts of town. Also, many citizens are sick and tired of the naysayers and are becoming more vocal and spreading the word. But with the nightclub out in East mesa, many just want to live in there suburban ugly neighborhood and acted uncivilized in the public meeting. But there is change and it takes time for a city that has over 450,000 residents.

For example, the Mesa Riverview development. The VBO and concerned citizens were very active in a NO campaign city incentives, so they pushed it to a city wide vote. They were beat and this has been the start of improvement in West Mesa. The Mesa Grande Association new they needed change and this would be good for the area since everything was dying.

As of late, the city has decided to go forward with the outdoor adventure park Waveyard

in giving a simple economic incentive package and the city decide to do a city wide vote in September I think. So, the city wanted to know if the citizens would support this idea and a possible sale of a 9 hole golf course along with a softball complex (re-locate the softball complex in the west side) and a overwhelming support came out from the citizens from all over the city in favor of Waveyard. The two negative organizations (VBO etc) have declined and have no problem with the project. So, in a way, these groups are not running things in Mesa and hopefully a positive shift and change in mentality is on the up swing.

But not all is well, the city does lack vision and walks on egg shells on certain issues and will lack vision on how to overcome and revitalize the city. Communication and education is the biggest issue with the city. They do a really bad job on PR with the public and it makes people mad. They also do not have any educational services about redevelopment and the possibilities on the web or city news channel etc. But a lack of funding is also the issue.

We have tons of obstacles, but I am optimistic for change.

I know I have a lot to write, forgive me, but I am very active in Mesa and trying to help change take root. But I wanted to share things and wanted to hear more feedback on some different ideas of revitalization etc.

Two things I wanted to talk about are as fallowed.

First was the 2nd Friday night out in Downtown Mesa. My family and I enjoyed the stroll down the street listening to multiple bands, window shopping and eating great food in a downtown atmosphere. This is the second time we have gone to the event and of my surprise, there was a good turnout the first time, but the second time, there was at least double the amount if not more people that showed up to Downtown. This is great as the stores stayed opened and a couple hundred showed up. This is big for a downtown that is dead. It has a long way to go and hopefully some interest will be generated to build an actual downtown.

Next is this article from last month in the republic. I don

wow I do like those images. Does Mesa, have enough clout to have a pro sports team of it's own? Even if it's like a minor league, or a soccer team i'd wonder. It's so overshadowed by the cities around it.

I don't know if they do, but did Glendale have enough around the cards stadium and the coyotes arena?

I think you make the changes for process to happen internally and physically. The Fiesta Area is working on it, so it is possible if the school wants to look at outside options and sharing a facility. Just an idea.

Mesa is the second largest city in the country to be considered a suburb. The first is Long Beach and they already have several semi-pro teams based in and named after the town. I only think that Mesa wouldn't be ready for such a venture as there's not really a cohesive culture there and everyone is more transient. Even my friends living in Mesa still refer to their state of origin as "back home". I mean, is there really any Mesa pride? Are there really people out there who will tell you "I'm from Mesa" and not "I'm from ____ (state)" or simply "I'm from Phoenix"? Any sports team needs that sort of dynamic to succeed. I've only been to Long Beach once, but it very much seemed to have that dynamic, as do many of the suburbs around LA. Otherwise, they'll just be a "Phoenix" or "Valley" team, or is that we're looking for here?

New center planned for East Mesa.

More Mesa news today.

A proposed mixed-use development could bring a hotel and convention center, restaurants and high-end shops to east Mesa.

Property owner Nelson Stewart is planning an open-air shopping center and offices on 170 acres at the northeast corner of Elliot and Hawes roads on the Santan Freeway

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with why they kept it out of Downtown. I mean, it's not like they're scarce on storefront down there.

There does seem to be a counter-intuitiveness in Mesa's governance: spend money to attempt to bring more tourists and residents to Downtown and the rest of our city but not finance existing tourism facilities.

Well I wouldn't neccessarily blame the city, so much as the residents. The city serves the residents, and the residents who are active in civic decisions, overwhelmingly have there heads firmly up their rears. They demand the city do something about the situation its in, then refuse to give it the means.

Mesa water park plans include 33-foot scuba lagoon

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but where exactly is this water park? I would assume, since it's called "Riverview", that it would be around Country Club/McKellips where they have those orchards now.

I'll be in Mesa again on Thursday/Friday for another concert. Maybe spend some time Downtown.

Thanks!

They named a street "Bass Pro Drive"? It's even more asinine because the street doesn't seem to even hit the Bass Pro Shop.

Also, Rich Aroma's web site says the location isn't open yet. How much of this is actually built?

quite a bit Colin, There are walls up everywhere it's well under way, though not as far done as the Tempe Marketplace two miles away. My company is set to open a restaurant in June, it's only be a couple more months be for the riverview is really taking shape. When you're in Mesa, have fun downtown, you won't find much to do there, tho i'm sure you know that already.

Sorry guys, I have been very busy lately. I hear what you guys are saying, and many see our shortcomings as a city. But I, as others am not ashamed of our city and to say I am from Mesa. I had a great youth, great schools back in the day, same with sports as they have dominated the state for decades. But Mesa has become victim of sprawl and bedroom communities

I have to think that if the residents were more informed, and the city did a better job educating them, and attracting developers. More would be intereseted, as it stands right now Mesa residents aren't NIMBY'S they are BANANA's (build absolutely nothing, anywhere, near anything). If I were a developer I'd give them the finger too and take my money elsewhere.

Archived