Mesa

MJLO

I see what you mean, but the company has done their research and so forth. I have seen some of it and supports their idea of why the phx metro area can support a MLS team. I also understand why you would say downtown, but I would disagree. It think downtown needs to focus on redevelopment and downtown ASU. Baseball, basketball and arena football keep that area busy with sports. It is time to focus on other needs of what makes a 24/7 downtown.

I personally think this location in West Mesa would be a good for the District, the city and the east valley.

Also guys, tomorrow is the Fiesta District meeting for the public. If you are in the area, come on down. See if you can bring some innovative ideas to make this are urban and great place.

5:30 at the Dobson ranch city library.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city is broke and does not have the money to do what is needed to reduce this via concrete. right now, concrete is very expensive, and so is this new method. I know ASU has it on its campus, and the Phoenix Urban Forum has addressed this issue, and has done studies etc.

Concrete is a great thing to look at, but shade is what is one of the biggest keys to urban heat island. Native vegetation helps reduce the heat, pollution, and is nice for the pedestrian and so forth. All of these different elements will help reduce the urban heat island faster and be more effecent.

Mesa is looking into similar methods in the Fiesta District study. PMC, the consultant for this area will address these issues in there report to the city in about a year.

Its good Gilbert is looking at this. Now they have to look at not building such wide roads too.

I wouldn't go all out and resurface all the asphalt roads in the city with concrete. But Mesa could change its building regulations to say that, in any new construction, the parking lot must have a cool pavement and the roof must be a cool roof. If a parking lot needs to be repaved or a house or other building needs a new roof, again it must be a cool pavement or roof. The only time this would ever cost the city money is when the city owns the property.

Resurfacing public roads (not immediately, just when they need to be resurfaced anyway) with cool materials would involve a higher cost to the city, and so this would be a tougher sell to taxpayers. But if it would reduce everyone's cooling costs by 10% in the summer and also make the heat just a little bit more tolerable, then I think a lot of people would go for it.

Adding shade trees and vegetation would also help, but I don't think it's a substitute for cool roofs and pavements. You can only shade so much, especially with Arizona's scrawny trees. :lol:

Totally agree.

The best way to implement technologies like this is to require them for new structures or some level of change on an existing structure. Not only would this bring in the new technology, it would also probably encourage redevelopment of existing structures.

Also is cutting down on cities regulations of parking requirements. Personally, we do not need all these parking spots that are empty all year long. Shade helps to a point, but materials are important too. I think every element of cooling down the city is just as important as any of this ideas.

Downtown Phoenix Urban forum project is very innovative. We had the director come and speak to my city structure and planning class last semester. They talked about the materials and elements used that cooled an area down by 15 degrees.

In my sustainability class, and former ASU professor, Director of Uof Cincinnati and Cornell's grad schools goes around the world and studies desert cities. He shared his facts and pictures of what other cities are doing around the world. I think we have to learn from the past on ways to stay cool.

• 1 month later...

Los Angeles also seems to have the right idea: Take This Car and Shove It

If approved... the so-called Parking Reduction Amendment, would let developers erect high-density dwellings and not build a single parking space as long as [Los Angeles city zoning administrator Michael] LoGrande feels residents have enough access to... “alternatives” to their cars.

I am not a fan of the 3-6. But at least there is a building minimum height limit for once. That should help this area to be somewhat of a higher density.

Another thing that drives me insane is that how some of these old timers still think Mesa is small, and all say, "it has to keep that small town feel". I am sorry, what small town feel? As of now, most of the West side of Main does not feel small town, especially with all the illegal stuff going on down their. Its hard with the old timers to try to think that we are actually a big city that is approaching a half a million.

But this is a start. At least, hopefully, downtown and the Fiesta District will allow higher building heights than 6 stories.

Also, this Thursday at Whittier elementary in West Mesa is holding a design charrette. My company is doing it, but I can't attend due to class. What we are doing is redesigning the Riverview park with models. We are giving the people a say on what they want the park to look like and so forth. This comes due to Waveyard if passed......hopefully. It also gives us an opportunity to give Mesa a signature park, especially at this area with the proposed Waveyard and Mesa Riverview. So if you live in Mesa, come on down! We need some positive thinkers at the meeting.

do you think the Mesan residents will let it happen? Gotta love the battle against any sort of change anywhere they have waged over the last century. I think there should be signs at the city limits " welcome to Mesa, set your clocks back 20 years"

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, set your clocks back 20 years.

Man, their are signs everywhere, and I have gotten 3 things relating to "vote yes on 300" Waveyard. One in the newspaper and the other 2 in the mail. I have to give them kudos for getting the info out on all the issues citizens are going to have.

Most of the people I have talked to love the idea. The ones who do not have no clue, or facts about Waveyard. So I have been talking to a ton of people about it and educating them about it.

There are those who are going to vote no, no matter what. Every city has those type of people. It is the ones who do not know what it is concerns me. but with no real opposition to the campaign, I think most people will vote yes and approve the idea.

If you live in Mesa, got to yesonwaveyard.com and sign up and request a yard sign. We have to flood the city with this!

Think about the possible movement in west Mesa. PMC is working on the Fiesta District. Light rail is coming and the first TOD is about to break ground. Also, another proposed project behind the sycamore stop and safeway is being proposed. 9 buildings at 5 stories each. Also, a trailor park owner talked to my boss the other day about a possible redevelopment into a work force TOD in the future. Than you have the Mesa Riverview and possible Waveyard in NW Mesa.

I am telling you, if the citizens vote yes, West Mesa could be seeing a ton of projects and revitalization. That is good for this part of town. Maybe the city will get moving on a update for the downtown Mesa and bring some interest if so much momentum is gaining in West Mesa.

I'm going to tone down my negative rhetoric about Mesa. I happen to be a former Mesan myself moved because work put me in BFE Deer Valley so now I live in North Peoria. Mesa has a special place in my heart, it's just frustrating for me to see this giant city with so much potential, get passed up for the smaller more progressive cities in the valley, when I feel the only city that should be better is Phoenix itself.

Maybe I shouldn't look at it like this, but I always see the Valley like LA and the Phoenix-Mesa relationship like LA-Long Beach or -Anaheim: they're adjacent and the latter owes its existence to the former, but, it's an overall different city, self-sufficient in many ways.

I don't know that the projects going on are going to make a significant impact to improving its density or urban nature though. Waveyard itself is an inherently suburban project: water parks don't go up in urban environments and typically only contribute to the economic base by introducing more sprawl and car-centric related businesses.

And the Fiesta Mall district is not really looking at anything that's going to significantly alter the area's suburban nature. Apartments, office buildings. Yeah, that's live-work, but the work is not going to fully support the live and the live is still going to have to go into the actual urban core, most likely via car since, although the infrastructure will be there, Mesa's and the entire Valley's culture looks down upon public transit use.

Cynnical enough?

It is unfortunate that Transit is frowned upon. But you're never going to get suburbanites anywhere to sign onto it. The very nature of suburban culture, is do what's most convenient, not responsible. It's just to easy for a mom with three kids to pile them all into the SUV and drive to Walmart two miles away where parking is instantly findable, than to drag the kids onto the train or drive into the downtown, hunt for a place to park where you're mostly likely going to have to pay, unload everyone and then have to walk a distance to the destination. The carless culture only fares in older cities that have had these things in place long ago. The transit system in New York is older than Phoenix itself. But those eastern cities, New York, DC, Chicago, Philly, were firmly rooted and vibrant long before the automobile. The newer western cities, Phoenix, Las Vegas, LA ect, were built and planned around the automobile. Go further with less amount of time, no need for conserving land and building up. This will never change. You cannot reprogram a suburbanites mind. They will never put in the small amount of extra effort to be more responsible towards the earth. So long as they can put their used cans in the big blue bins they put out on Tuesday they are doing their part. Those people exist in every metropolitan area big and small on this continent. I just hope that the things the leadership is doing now, paves way for a more responsible, resource conserving future generation :)

In addition to making mass transit more convenient, also make driving less convenient. Traffic-calm the streets, raise gasoline taxes and/or enact a carbon tax, etc.

Traffic-calming would have the added benefit of making it safer to walk and ride bicycles.

I think all of us are on the same page here.

Working Downtown makes public transit more convenient than driving, at least in Tucson. If I were to drive in every day, I would be spending over $600 per year on parking, plus having to deal with all of that traffic. Why do that when I get a monthly bus pass for $10 and just have to deal with stupid high school kids on the bus?

Other people where I work, and quite a few others in the working masses Downtown, not just the poor, use buses here. It's quite refreshing.

But since Mesa doesn't have that central core, there needs to be better and more convenient bus service via park & rides, express services, etc., to Phoenix and other employment centers (ASU, Downtown Scottsdale, the business parks in Chandler). I don't see the light rail being well-used by regular commuters until this service is implemented.

Mesa water park renews debate on what's a big waste

The question posed by the article is whether Waveyard is an appropriate use of water resources. But why is it even a question? The only question for Waveyard should be, is the water affordable affordable enough to sustain the business?

Provided, of course, that a water bill covers the true cost of providing the water. That means it shouldn't be subsidized by taxes, and the water bill should cover the cost of correcting any damage (environmental, political, etc.) caused by providing the water. Then why would it matter how much water is "wasted"?

• 2 weeks later...

The reason why Waveyard is coming to a vote is because the city is giving them 1.5 million for infrastructure improvements in the area and the "user tax" subsidy for the remainder 20 mil they will pay off. Infrastructure money is typical in big projects. The user tax subsidy/20 mil to be paid of is kind of like a loan. After looking at this user tax subsidy, it is the best I have ever seen and protects the city in the long run.

I have been giving out yard signs to friends and family members in the city.

IF you life in Mesa, spread the word to your friends by email. encourage them to get a yard sign and educate themselves on the project and issues.

The waveyard people have done a pretty good job on the campaign. I have gotten a ton of things in the mail, newspaper, phone calls and have even seen commercials on espn.

http://yesforwaveyard.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived