Mesa

MJLO

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waveyard going up for review.

The Waveyard resort planned near Riverview is going up for public scrutiny

This small paragraph says it all for me. This is Mesa at the core! I am all for responsible planning, and who's to say that's not whats going to happen here. But I can't help but think, that this, like anything else that could make Mesa better and help the city financially. Will eventually fizzle, with the developers giving the city the proverbial finger, while they take their business and money to the West Valley.

Like all other developments in Mesa, Waveyard is beginning a relatively lengthy, governmental review process. And instead of a grandiose vision, the discussion around Waveyard will soon revolve around neighborhood topics, like how much traffic the project will bring to west Mesa, and where the thousands of visitors of Waveyard are going to park when they travel to the resort, proposed near Eighth Street and Dobson Road.

Another Yay for Mesa residents story.

I swear, in my fourteen months i've lived in the valley and researched it. I don't think I have EVER heard of anything going into the city of Mesa, that wasn't met with vitriol by the residents. What is the deal. What is the logic. Don't these people realize that with every fight they take up and win, it's another loss for the city of Mesa to dig itself out of it's hole, make itself a viable valley player for the future. They have created a sleepy bohemoth that's going to implode on itself financially. And when the city starts closing parks and cutting back services because there is no money for it, they will then beotch about that, and then refuse a tax increase. These people want water from rocks.

some article quotes,

Beauty is in the eye of the property owner, according to a group of city officials at the center of a controversial east Mesa commercial development project.

Mesa

5 floors? This things is 30 feet tall!!!!! a big "tall" building at 30 feet tall! I'm hoping this is rock bottom for the lengths these people will stretch these kind of hyperboles. This thing will be built, and six months later they would forget it was even there. I feel they are fighting just to fight. They wouldn't be happy with anything that went it in there. It's a good thing it's the modern day. Can you imagine Mesa in the 50's and 60's. They'd be up in arms about certain kinds of residents moving into the community let alone obscure developements that would minimal or no impact.

Mesa residents no longer have a leg to stand on when they complain about the price of gasoline. If it really mattered to them, they would be jumping at the chance to build business and retail closer to their homes so they wouldn't have to use as much gasoline to get to work and go shopping.

the only reason i can see to oppose a transit solution in a growing metro is empirical evidence that the numbers to justify projected ridership just aren't yet there; that cars, bad as they may be, still make more sense. is that the case in mesa?

Its been a while since I have been in here.

You know, it is hard and sad at times to be a Mesa resident. The small groups of naysayers hate everything, and that is what haveing a no property tax will do and bring to a city.

Yes, we are a auto-dependent design community. But change can happen. Most residents in the west side of mesa are in favor of transit, but those out east are not due to sprawl etc. But a lot of education is needed, and a change in our lame leadership, and those staff members such as transportatoin, and planning division need to clean house.

Waveyard has a tough battle and needs to spread the word to those residents who do not know about it via paper etc.

Last week I meet with some orgnizations in the Fiesta District area. Some good meetings if some of the ideas will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the Fiesta area: Positive steps in Fiesta Mall area should shame Grace into taking action

The decline of the area north of Fiesta Mall has been both steady and sad. The once vibrant area is threadbare and largely shuttered. The sprawling Fiesta Village shopping center has been sitting mostly vacant, decrepit and fenced for years.

I went to the open house, I should have posted it here so you guys could come down and see. The project is rolling and hope some good comes out real soon. PMC has some very good people working on this area, and understand the urban design and creating place from a suburban strip mall to destination.

The stakeholders are the ones who are driving this project, the city is doing some, but are afraid in some areas, especially the new. No one has any balls in the city gov or departments.

I will keep you guys posted on what is going on.

Also, Waveyard presented to the city council about a week or so ago, and the renderings and information was great. To bad some of the closed minded residents don't open there ears to actually listen to the answers to there concerns and they would embrace it. The council unanimously voted all the zoning changes etc to go forward. That is a big step. Waveyard has been working hard to get the info, and when it passes, this will be a great model and starter project to help revitalize the West side of Mesa. (including Downtown and the Fiesta Area)

Just imagine, from Alma school rd to downtown tempe along the river will be one of the best places to go in the valley with all the new development and so forth.

Some very surprising info that just came out. Mesa, the capital of carpooling!

Link:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/91478

I was surprised. That is good to hear at least.

• 1 month later...

Mesa: We're cheaper than most

Basically, the article is about how Mesa's city services are cheaper than other cities in the valley because it doesn't have a property tax, which is actually deceiving because Mesa makes up for it with a higher sales tax and "higher fees for water, sewers and garbage collection". So it's hard to tell who really is cheapest.

I moved from Mesa to San Diego earlier this year. Since I now live much closer to work (8 miles instead of 24) and I can do most of my shopping right across the street from where I live, I now only have to fill up my car half as much, and I put fewer miles on it. So taxes is only one part of the equation of what it costs to live in a given city. It's more difficult to quantify the cost of Mesa's urban sprawl per resident in dollars.

Something I have been involved in for a little while. Could be big. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/93496

Also, this coming tuesday is the Fiesta District meeting at the Dobson ranch library.

http://www.cityofmesa.org/economic/fiestad...ignproject.aspx

Check it out, the meeting is from 5:30-7:30. On the Mesa web site, it has some info from the first meeting and stakeholder meeting.

I'd imagine MLS would mainly be worried about the market. Right now, I don't think Phoenix even has a team in one of the semi-pro leagues so there are no numbers to show off.

Either way, I think it should be Downtown. They still need more pushes and activity there and already have the infrastructure for something like this because of the other, existing sports arenas.

Archived