Midtown Target!

hgupta

CA reports that Target has finally found a suitable location in Midtown.

Those of you outside midtown probably don't realize how badly most midtown and downtown residents have wanted this to happen. Target was one of the few shopping excursions that I regularly made out of midtown. Downtowners without cars would be able to take the trolley almost all the way to it.

Hopefully this will also help revitalize the area around cleveland and Jefferson.

I'll stilll end up going out to the target on Colonial. That Target/ William Sonoma outlet/ Levenger outlet combo is a hard to beat for xmas shopping.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CA reports that Target has finally found a suitable location in Midtown.

Those of you outside midtown probably don't realize how badly most midtown and downtown residents have wanted this to happen. Target was one of the few shopping excursions that I regularly made out of midtown. Downtowners without cars would be able to take the trolley almost all the way to it.

Hopefully this will also help revitalize the area around cleveland and Jefferson.

I'll stilll end up going out to the target on Colonial. That Target/ William Sonoma outlet/ Levenger outlet combo is a hard to beat for xmas shopping.

I don't know...if Target builds in Midtown and in East Memphis, that Colonial store will disappear. :cry:

This is the map of where the CA says the Target will be in Midtown. Is N. Watkins the same as Watkins? The paper says "near" the intersection of Poplar and Watkins...

MidtownTarget.jpg

There was a lot of debate when Target entered the Montgomery Plaza area in Ft Worth, just at the verge of Downtwon. Questions were raised about the impact of building a stripmall-like one-storied super Target there in terms of the surrounding impact on building density in the urban core of a city. Suggestions included building a Two-storied Target + parking garage but it wasn't agreed upon due to cost and other reasons ...

Wondering what this one looks like in Midtown Mphs?

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum...p?showtopic=298

There was a lot of debate when Target entered the Montgomery Plaza area in Ft Worth, just at the verge of Downtwon. Questions were raised about the impact of building a stripmall-like one-storied super Target there in terms of the surrounding impact on building density in the urban core of a city. Suggestions included building a Two-storied Target + parking garage but it wasn't agreed upon due to cost and other reasons ...

Wondering what this one looks like in Midtown Mphs?

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum...p?showtopic=298

They've allowed the usual design of stores in the past - a new Home Depot a couple blocks away looks suburban. I think putting any unnecessary restrictions on them will prevent the project altogether. This area desperately needs retail.

Honestly a 2-story Target with a parking garage would be great, but that would be overkill IMO. Maybe in the Medical District, downtown, Uptown, or even on Union, but that wouldn't be necessary where they plan to build.

Oooo...2-story SuperTarget with parking garage on Poplar @ 240? Thaaaat would be nice!

I'm glad that hgupta included the diagram from the CA. I had just read the online edition and was worried that they'd try to knock down the 2 story houses that fronted Poplar near Watkins. Thank God.

I'd like to see a design that adds value to the neighborhood. I don't think that a proto-suburban 1-story warehouse surrounded by asphalt design will add value, and could actually subtract. You could easily lose mature trees in that design, not to mention the extra heat coming off the tarmac. (In fact, I was so sickened by the without-mercy and without-cause clear cutting that Lowes did on their Sam Cooper store lot that I won't shop there anymore).

I believe the location is at the cusp of the new zoning overlay for the Medical Center and should honor that, even if it doesn't have to.

The vision of downtowners and meds taking the trolley to Cleveland to shop is very compelling, but it destroys the experience if you make the trek to go into an oversized convenience store.

So, it's a great idea if they build for their and the neighborhood's value (because a quality architectural product will help regenerate their neighborhood, which has to be good business for their land value and sales). But if it's just another sea of asphalt, I'll just use the internet.

I'm glad that hgupta included the diagram from the CA. I had just read the online edition and was worried that they'd try to knock down the 2 story houses that fronted Poplar near Watkins. Thank God.

I'd like to see a design that adds value to the neighborhood. I don't think that a proto-suburban 1-story warehouse surrounded by asphalt design will add value, and could actually subtract. You could easily lose mature trees in that design, not to mention the extra heat coming off the tarmac. (In fact, I was so sickened by the without-mercy and without-cause clear cutting that Lowes did on their Sam Cooper store lot that I won't shop there anymore).

I believe the location is at the cusp of the new zoning overlay for the Medical Center and should honor that, even if it doesn't have to.

The vision of downtowners and meds taking the trolley to Cleveland to shop is very compelling, but it destroys the experience if you make the trek to go into an oversized convenience store.

So, it's a great idea if they build for their and the neighborhood's value (because a quality architectural product will help regenerate their neighborhood, which has to be good business for their land value and sales). But if it's just another sea of asphalt, I'll just use the internet.

I was hoping Target would be part of the redevelopment of Dixie Homes, similar to the Wal-Mart in the St. Thomas redevelopment in New Orleans. However, I'll take what I can get. Is this going to be a SuperTarget? If it is, they'll make a fortune. Schnucks will have to get their act together.

how would a 2-story SuperTarget work? like, how do you get your shopping cart from the first floor to the second floor? really large elevator? really flat escalator?

i've never been in a 2-story Target, though I used to pass one regularly in Metairie, LA. shoulda gone in, i guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived